For millions of businesses worldwide, the best way to build and manage a website is through the content management system WordPress. If you want to run a WordPress-based website, you must have a good hosting solution to keep your site running smoothly. For many people, this means opting for managed WordPress hosting. Below we explain what managed WordPress hosting is, how it differs from unmanaged hosting, and when it may be appropriate.
- Managed WordPress hosting takes care of backups, updates, and other details.
- You’ll pay more for managed WordPress hosting, but it offers a more hands-off service.
- Your site may be more secure and run more smoothly with managed WordPress hosting.
What is Managed WordPress Hosting?
Managed WordPress hosting services take on many tasks associated with keeping your site running smoothly. For example, the host will schedule data backups so that your site can be restored if something goes wrong. It will also ensure that the operating system, database, and even WordPress are kept up to date with the latest stable versions, which is essential for avoiding security risks and other problems. You might be responsible for these tasks with traditional unmanaged hosting.
Having the hosting company manage these tasks will leave only the day-to-day operation of the site left in your hands. You can log in, update the content, add new posts, and even select any plugins you need. If you ever have questions or concerns with WordPress, the hosting company will be there to assist with anything you need to help ensure your site looks and loads just the way you want it.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Managed WordPress Hosting
Understanding the various pros and cons of managed WordPress hosting will help you to decide if it is a good option for your company. How important each of these pros and cons will be to your business will depend on a number of factors including your web hosting experience, employee skills, budget, and more.
- No technical knowledge needed: You do not need to have any technical knowledge of hosting a site. All of the backend work will be done for you.
- You can focus on site data: Creating and managing your website will simply mean having it designed and the content created to meet the needs of your customers.
- Improved security: Managed WordPress hosting is kept up to date with the latest security patches and other system updates. This helps to protect your data from potential hackers, viruses, or other problems.
- Experts manage your site: You will have a team of experts managing the back end of your site so you can be confident that everything is handled properly.
- Backup and restoration service: Getting your site backed up properly is critical for ensuring you can recover from a problem, should it occur. Most managed hosting services will take care of all of your backup settings for you.
- Higher cost: Managed hosting is more expensive than an unmanaged or semi-managed alternative. If you are looking for the cheapest web hosting options, a managed solution likely isn’t right for you.
- Forced updates: Most managed WordPress services will automatically update your site to the latest version shortly after it is released. Some people would rather wait a while before updating to ensure stability.
- Possible plugin limits: Some managed hosting services will limit what WordPress plugins you can use since the host must support them.
- No standardized packages: Not all hosting providers offer the same services with managed WordPress packages.
Costs Associated with Managed WordPress Hosting
Whenever you opt for managed web hosting, you can expect it to cost more than an unmanaged option. Still, many people are surprised at how affordable managed WordPress hosting is.
In almost all cases, the added expenses translate to a higher monthly bill. In rare cases, a hosting company may offer managed services for a set amount each month plus additional support at an hourly rate. But hourly support is generally reserved for complex sites requiring regular service.
Is Managed WordPress Hosting Right for You?
While managed WordPress hosting has its advantages, it’s not always worth the higher cost. If you’re tech-savvy and don’t mind spending a little time each month making sure your website is fully backed up and updated, you won’t get much value from managed hosting. On the other hand, if you aren’t comfortable with updates and backups or are too busy to handle it, managed hosting can help you take a load off.
Frequently Asked Questions About Managed WordPress Hosting
What is managed WordPress hosting?
Managed WordPress hosting is a hosting service tailored to WordPress sites that manages hosting-related tasks, including backups, updates, and security checks.
Is managed WordPress hosting good?
Managed WordPress hosting can offer greater reliability with the latest updates, but it doesn’t offer anything you couldn’t do yourself.
Why choose managed WordPress hosting?
You may choose managed WordPress hosting because it keeps your site more secure and up to date even when you don’t have time to manage updates and installations on your own.