Last Updated on
When it comes time to pick a web hosting provider, the decision typically comes down to a few factors like reliability, cost, and quality of customer support.
We took a look at Tsohost to see how it stacked up against those three factors (as well as the competition) and found that it does a very good job in meeting all three of those criteria. If you’re thinking about signing up, here is what you should know.
- Tsohost: A Web Hosting Pro
- Tsohost Web Hosting Options
- Two Control Panel Options
- Reliable Infrastructure
- Other Products and Services Tsohost Offers
- What is Tsohost Customer Support Like?
- What are Some Good Alternatives to TsoHost?
- Tsohost: Does It Deliver?
- FAQ on TsoHost
Tsohost: A Web Hosting Pro
The actual name of this web hosting company is Paragon Internet Group. However, for the sake of brevity, it conducts business under Tsohost. So don’t be confused if you find references to both names on the website.
Regardless of what you want to call the company, Tsohost has been in business since 2003 when it was established in London with the goal of providing cheap and reliable internet services. A half a million websites are now hosted by Tsohost.
Built on world-class infrastructure, Tsohost offers a comprehensive range of web hosting services.
Let’s start by looking at the infrastructure that powers Tsohost’s customers’ websites:
Tsohost Web Hosting Options
As you can imagine, a company like Tsohost doesn’t want to limit what its customers can do. This means offering a wide array of web hosting options.
Cloud Web Hosting
Tsohost’s shared web hosting plans are actually all in the cloud, which makes these an even better deal than what you’d get with traditional shared hosting.
Each plan comes with:
- A 60-day money-back guarantee
- Free backup and support
- Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate
- Linux compatibility
- Free 1-click app installs for things like WordPress and Drupal
- At least one free migration
- MySQL, PHP, Perl, and other standard programming and database tools you’d need.
One thing to pay attention to with these plans is pricing. While they are indeed cheap — much cheaper than what you’d find elsewhere for cloud hosting — the premium plans come with a custom domain. So, if you’re also planning on buying a domain from Tsohost, it might make the upgrade worth it.
Video above: TsoHost’s YouTube channel features a playlist of cloud hosting tutorials, like this one.
cPanel Web Hosting
cPanel hosting is tied to a single piece of hardware. This is in contrast to hosting via the TsoHost cloud which is “clustered over multiple servers, run from multiple locations, meaning there is no single point of failure . . . ” The cloud option is described by TsoHost as “more robust and reliable.”
They also come with a proprietary control panel tool which offers more options than cPanel and is makes cloud tasks simple.
Managed VPS Hosting
In the next step up, Tsohost offers managed virtual private server hosting for Linux and Windows. This means you’ll have more control over configuring your server, but that Tsohost will take care of managing things like security, OS support, uptime, and the software firewall.
These plans also come with a free setup as well as 24/7 technical support.
Dedicated Server Hosting
Tsohost also has Linux and Windows dedicated servers for customers who need something more robust for their high-traffic website networks or apps. With these plans, you can expect to receive the following dedicated support from Tsohost:
- Server administrative assistance
- Network monitoring
- Security updates
- Proactive service monitoring
- Scheduled daily backups
- One-hour replacement of hardware in case of failure
- 24/7 support.
How does TsoHost serve small business? Browse the TsoHost YouTube channel for interviews with customers, like this one with Laurence O’Toole, founder and CEO of Analytics SEO (now called Authoritas).
Complex Hosting: A Custom-Built Server Environment
Now, this isn’t something you typically see offered by web hosting companies, so it’s nice to see this option from Tsohost, a company that prides itself on its in-house technical experts and support.
Complex hosting plans offer customers the ability to work one-on-one with a systems engineer to build a server environment based on your requirements. If you need the ultimate performance from your website and can’t afford any downtime, this might be the option you need.
Tsohost also assigns a dedicated account manager and team to customer accounts, so that any issues that arise are immediately handled by someone familiar with your site or app.
Tsohost offers a single “one size fits all” hosting plan for resellers. It can host up to 100 sites and developers and agencies have the ability to white-label the backend.
Free Web Hosting for U.K.-based Charities
Here is an example of another standout hosting option from Tsohost. This one is solely meant for UK-based charities.
In return for publishing a small Tsohost banner on their websites, charities will receive free hosting from Tsohost. It’s nothing major, but it should be more than enough for what a nonprofit would need.
A Note About CMS Hosting
Tsohost breaks out a number of different content management system “hosting” pages on its website.
However, if you see an option for WordPress hosting, it’s no different than cloud hosting. The same goes for Joomla hosting. There are no additional fees and you still have the same one-click installation that gives you access to those content management system apps.
Pay attention to are Ghost, PrestaShop, Magento, and forum hosting. The corresponding app is not integrated with its platform and you’ll have to pay separately for them.
WordPress users who want a hosting plan that asks for minimal fuss from them should consider Tsohosts’ managed WordPress options.
Tsohost’s plans are optimized to run WordPress, and each plan comes with everything you need to get up and running:
- Ample resource allocation
- Email hosting
- Free domain name
You will also get nice bonuses like a free SSL certificate and free website backups every day.
All Tsohost plans support one-click WordPress installation, but if you ever have any issues, the Tsohost staff is available to help 24/7. This assistance covers things like website migrations in addition to general tech support.
E-Commerce Hosting for Small Businesses
If you are interested in launching an online store/e-commerce shop, Tsohost might be a good fit for you. The company’s web hosting packages could undoubtedly be used to support whatever platform or shopping cart you have in mind, but it also offers Magento- and PrestaShop-specific plans.
There is, however, no specific benefit the company offers to e-commerce sites; its focus is on generalized web hosting.
Two Control Panel Options
Most Tsohost packages that include a control panel for web server management and administration ship with the cPanel Control Panel, one of the leading options in the industry. If you have used cPanel before, the interface will be familiar to you (Tsohost does not implement any in-house modifications), but if you have not, the learning curve for this product is not too steep.
Making Complex Cloud Tasks Simple
Cloud hosting customers, however, receive a slightly different control panel. This option is unique to Tsohost and was built by in-house engineers. The control panel for cloud hosting options has been optimized for managing servers across multiple clouds and comes with support for things like:
- One-click auto-installation for apps, such as WordPress, Joomla, and PrestaShop
- Cron Jobs
- Wildcard Mappings (for domains)
- Custom Error Pages
- Switch between Linux and Windows or use “hybrid” mode to run ASP and PHP sites from one dashboard, or run sites that contain both PHP and ASP code.
When you’re looking for a web hosting company that promises reliability and can deliver on it, you might want to start your search with Tsohost.
Tsohost refers to its network as “True Cloud Hosting” since no one location is ever relied upon to power its customers’ websites. Failover and reliability don’t stop there either.
Redundancies Built In
Websites run on diverse, multi-homed networks with fiber optic Gigabit connections. This means that multiple providers power the connections, ensuring that internet service is never disrupted.
100% Power and Network Uptime Guarantee Most Plans
Cisco and Juniper are responsible for providing Tier 1 transit, equipment, network firewalls, routing, and switches. This ensures that Tsohost’s network and hardware are consistently secured, fast, and reliable.
Because of these contributing factors, Tsohost’s uptime guarantee is 99.9% for shared cloud hosting.
For virtual private, dedicated, and complex hosting customers, they additionally receive a 100% power and network uptime guarantee.
Video above: TsoHost demonstrates the resilience of their infrastructure. This video provides an overview of their power distribution and generator backup provisions.
Datacenter and Security
Here is what else you should know about the Tsohost infrastructure and network:
- Tsohost owns a Tier 3+ 2N datacenter located in the United Kingdom
- Power Outage protection: Their 2N power management system means that up to 50% of their facility can fail “without disrupting service.” In addition, they have backup power generators that can power the facility “indefinitely.”
- Tsohost’s server facilities are secured and monitored 24/7/365.
- Only authorized personnel have access through biometric scanning to the data servers.
- Linux and Windows web servers come with the latest Dual Hex (6) Core Xeon processors from Dell.
- Email and service servers are physically secured away from Tsohost’s web servers.
- Storage and backups are also kept away from the web servers in order to ensure uptime and security.
- Fire suppression: Tsohost is using an advanced system called Inergen Fire Suppression. This gaseous product is designed for server environments, does not damage equipment or create toxins.
- The facility is ringed with 3-meter high fencing.
- Over 25 CCTV cameras are deployed.
It’s clear that Tsohost has taken great pains to provide a stable and reliable base for customers to rely upon when hosting their sites here.
Other Products and Services Tsohost Offers
In addition to its web hosting services, Tsohost also offers the following:
- Domains: you can register a domain with or transfer yours to Tsohost. They have hundreds of extensions available; the UK extensions being the cheapest available.
- Managed firewalls: if you want more than just the standard software firewall that comes with the managed VPS plans, you can upgrade to shared or dedicated hardware firewalls.
- SSL certificates: there are a few options available for standard and premium certificates.
- Microsoft Exchange: you’ll have web access to your emails, calendar integration, as well as spam filtering
- Free website migrations.
- Easy-to-use website Builder (see video below)
Video above: Get an overview of how TsoHost’s DIY site builder works.
What is Tsohost Customer Support Like?
We’ve established that pricing for Tsohost’s services (especially cloud hosting and domains) is reasonable. We’ve also shown that the infrastructure lends itself well to providing a reliable and high-performance experience for customers’ websites.
So, what about support?
Tsohost has it covered well with:
- 24/7 email support
- Phone support from 7 a.m. to midnight, U.K. time (GMT+1)
- Live Chat
- Over 30 employees to assist you
- A knowledgebase with a satisfying number of well-written articles that provide clear steps and screenshots for an excellent self-help experience
- Status Center that provides information on the current/ongoing server or network issues.
- A page for reporting abuse, such as trademark infringement
- A page for reporting any perceived security vulnerabilities
- An active YouTube channel full of helpful how-tos
Need help starting a blog? Tsohost offers step-by-step guidance, like this video on how to create a blog with the Ghost platform.
What are Some Good Alternatives to TsoHost?
First, if you’re a strong user of WordPress, here are some available alternatives.
WP Engine for Managed WordPress Hosting
Power users of WordPress might look to WP Engine instead, which is a high-end, managed WordPress installation. WP Engine is definitely not a host that is right for someone just getting starting, but for someone with a robust website seeing higher levels of traffic, WP Engine’s managed web hosting plans might make web hosting much simpler.
SiteGround: Also a Strong Contender for Managed WordPress Hosting
Whether SiteGround is an alternative to Tsohost depends on your needs.
First, SiteGround is a hosting provider officially endorsed by WordPress. However Automattic, the developers of WordPress, make clear its list is arbitrary and is based on things like “contributions to WordPress.org, size of customer base, ease of WP auto-install and auto-upgrades, avoiding GPL violations, design, tone, historical perception, using the correct logo, capitalizing WordPress correctly, not blaming us if you have a security issue, and up-to-date system software.”
So, the fact that Tsohost is not on the list while SiteGround is, probably does not matter much to you.
Both Tsohost and SiteGround are more than capable of supporting WordPress adequately, so the criterion you should probably use is whether you want a managed solution or not. If you want to do it all yourself, then SiteGround is probably the way to go. If you want more hand-holding, Tsohost is the host for you.
Heart Internet and HostGator: Beginner-Friendly General Hosting
Alternatives to Tsohost that are more beginner-friendly include Heart Internet and HostGator. Both offer a variety of web hosting options backed by around-the-clock support. If you are looking for a more localized presence in the UK, Heart Internet is a good option. If you are looking for a more global-oriented alternative, check out HostGator.
Tsohost: Does It Deliver?
It’s quite clear that Tsohost’s decade-plus working as an Internet service and web hosting provider has taught this company a lot. Its infrastructure is top-of-the-line, its web hosting plans offer customers every option they could possibly want, and its support covers customers from all angles.
It doesn’t matter what size your business or website needs are. Tsohost has a very reliable set of services to work with — all dedicated to giving customers the peace of mind to focus on managing their websites and not worrying about what’s happening behind the scenes.
FAQ on TsoHost
Here are a few common questions asked about TsoHost.
Who owns TsoHost?
In short, TsoHost is owned by Paragon, which is owned by Host Europe Group (HEG) which is owned by GoDaddy. Here’s more detail:
- TsoHost is owned by Paragon Internet Group, Ltd.
- Paragon was acquired by Host Europe Group (HEG) in 2015, and now operates as a subsidiary of HEG.
- GoDaddy EMEA acquired HEG in December 2016 for $1.79 billion. (At the time of acquisition, HEG was owned by the international private equity firm Cinven, which acquired the business in August 2013.)
How do I choose between Linux and Windows, and what is TsoHost’s “Hybrid” mode?
|Linux||Linux is recommended if you’re using PHP-based applications. Common examples include Drupal, WordPress, Magento, Joomla, Yii, and CodeIgniter.|
|Windows||Choose Windows if you will run ASP/.NET based software. Examples include Sitecore, DotNetNuke, Umbraco, and Kentico. Running PHP through Windows, while possible, is suboptimal.|
|Hybrid||TsoHost’s Hybrid mode will enable you to run PHP and ASP simultaneously. Your PHP code will run through their Linux cluster. Your ASP code will run through their Windows cluster.
This means you can run PHP and ASP code on the same sites, and from a single dashboard. TsoHost adds: “The bias determines whether code other than PHP/ASP (ie raw HTML) is run through Windows or Linux.
How do I find out about status issues with TsoHost?
Visit their Status Center. In the left-hand margin you’ll see categories to search for current status of service. You will also find a list of incidents and announcements of any upcoming scheduled maintenance. To report an incident you can raise a new support ticket or call them at their U.K. number. If you’ve detected what you believe to be a security vulnerability, use the TsoHost Report Security Issue form.
Is TsoHost good?
In addition to reading reviews, here are some ways to determine this for yourself.
- Read customer reviews. The TsoHost website states that they have “an average customer rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars, based on a total of 678 reviews.” Browse the web for other sources of customer reviews.
- Browse the TsoHost site for testimonials from customers. If you are a small business owner, you may want to contact one or more individuals featured in the videos to get an updated (current, 2018) assessment from them of TsoHost’s performance.
- Consider your geographic location. Realize that TsoHost phone support operates on U.K. time. Does that work for you?
Hungry for more information about Tsohost? Click over to our sister website, WhoIsHostingThis.com. It’s got answers to frequently asked questions as well as over a dozen reviews from actual Tsohost customers. What are you waiting for?