Rebel.com Review: Are They Tame Enough For Your Hosting Needs?
Last Updated on August 5, 2020
Rebel is a web hosting company aiming to support the digital goals of thought leaders, web developers, trailblazing businesses, entrepreneurs, and innovators. So if this is you, you might find Rebel a good option for your web hosting needs.
Some of Rebel’s products and offerings include more premium hosting options, professional domain and SEO services, and personalized one-on-one onboarding.
If you prize doing business with corporations that put a premium on social values and engage in community-building, you’ll want to explore what Rebel has to offer.
Rebel is an Ottowa, Canada-based company founded in 2006 by entrepreneur Rob Villeneuve, who continues to serve as the company’s CEO.
In addition to serving customers in over 186 countries, Rebel emphasizes simplicity and has a community-building orientation.
Simplicity in Web Hosting
Web hosting can be complex, so Rebel’s emphasis on simplicity will be a boon for the busy customer. Expect streamlined services and easy-to-use tools.
Rebel offers a 5-minute website or online creation tool and concierge-style managed web hosting, where all technical details are handled for you.
Supporting the Tech Community and Social Causes
Rebel supports various technology professionals (and those training for a new career) via groups like:
- Ladies Learning Code
- AWS (Amazon Web Services) user groups
- Ottawa Civic Tech
Connecting Non-Profits with Technology Resources and Expertise
The company also fosters connections between these groups and social entrepreneurship and non-profit groups like TechSoup, Random Hacks of Kindness, and Tech4Good.
In addition, Rebel engages with community by:
- Contributing to articles and podcasts
- Public speaking events
- Offering discounts or free products and services
- In-person volunteering
- Matching staff donations to charities
Rebel also offers the Changemakers Program, which is a suite of services for those who “could use a little extra support to take their ideas to the next level.”
The program includes technology tools, marketing, and website development, and support in building a culture and leadership development.
Web Hosting at Rebel
Rebel offers many hosting options to meet the diverse needs of its clientele.
There are some features/functionality and services that come standard for all:
- 1-on-1 Assisted Setup: You can request a call from the Rebel setup team so they can help you set up your new email account, use your site builder, or use your Rebel account (e.g. tasks like managing your domains, hosting, and emails).
- Free Site Migration: Rebel will help you move an existing website — and email — over to their servers free of charge. The company promises you virtually no interruption in service.
- Preferred Partner: Rebel offers the Preferred Partner Program, which compensates you for referrals of your important clients (and gets them high priority support).
- Affiliate Programs: The Affiliate Program allows you to get commissions for sign-ups that occur when someone lands on Rebel via banners or text ads on your website(s).
- Speedy 24/7 Customer Support: Rebel offers 24/7 customer service, so you can talk to someone at any time if you have questions, comments, or concerns. Moreover, the company promises a response within 2 minutes, which is not something we regularly see.
99.99% Uptime and 12 datacenters
Rebel promises a 99.99% uptime from its AWS-hosted datacenters located in twelve different cities, regular backups, and protection against security threats (like malware).
Managed WordPress Hosting
For WordPress users, Rebel has a fully-managed hosting plan specifically designed to meet your needs. You’ll get automatic:
- Detection and removal of malware
- Updates to your WordPress core, as well as installation of security patches to fix vulnerabilities
- Backups of your website
Some WordPress Extras
The WordPress plan also comes with extras, such as free themes and plugins to extend the functionality of your website.
However, you’re responsible for updates to plugins/themes after installation, which is standard in the web hosting industry.
Rebel’s managed WordPress hosting option provides automatic malware scanning and fixes, automatic security patches, and automatic WordPress core updates,
Free SSL Certificate
WordPress users also get a free SSL certificate to ensure that communication with your visitors is secure and improve your search engine rankings.
Rebel doesn’t offer much in terms of WordPress-specific support materials. Nevertheless, WordPress is a commonly-used platform and other hosts may have resources you can use even if you choose to host with Rebel.
Managed Security Services
If you want stronger security for your WordPress site, consider Rebel’s fully managed security services option, which is currently a free pilot program.
For one domain, you’ll get:
- Full website scans every six hours
- Unlimited malware removal
- Increased bandwidth
- Better performance due to CDN usage
- Protection against cyber attacks like DDoS, SQL injection, and so on
If you need fast page-load times, Rebel’s Business Hosting offers everything you need. You can have as many websites as you’d like since you get unlimited databases and email addresses and 60 GB of disk storage.
Plesk Control Panel
The Business plans come with the Plesk control panel for account management and 1-click app installation, website monitoring, malware removal, and backup and restore options.
Rebel uses the Plesk brand control panel. This is where you’ll manage your web hosting and email accounts, view statistics, manage files and databases, and add functionality to your site via web apps. The panel is clearly labeled and easy to navigate.
Full-Control Web Hosting
If you don’t need the performance of Business hosting, consider the cheaper Full-Control Hosting.
These two options are similar, but the latter offers support for only five websites, as well as a smaller allocation of email addresses and mailboxes. However, as your traffic levels increase, Rebel will throttle your website’s performance.
Clustered Web Hosting
If you want to get started for as little money as possible, consider one of Rebel’s no-frills Clustered Hosting plans.
Rebel offers three different clustered hosting plans (all of which include a free domain name):
- Pathfinder: 10 email addresses, 1 GB disk space, and 5 GB of data transfer per month
- Adventurer: 50 email addresses, 5 GB disk space, and 15 GB of data transfer per month
- Globetrotter: 150 email addresses, 10 GB disk space, and 25 GB of data transfer per month
VPS Web Hosting
If you have a website that is feature rich (think large images, videos, and audio clips) or you see a high traffic load, consider one of Rebel’s four VPS hosting plans.
Rebel offers a number of services in addition to its web hosting plans.
Via the Rebel control panel, you can choose from a generous number of free or commercial (paid) apps to add functionality to your website.
The app categories and volume of apps are:
- 46 Back Office apps (e.g. accounting and financial, compliance and risk)
- 15 Front Office apps (e.g. appointment scheduling, call center, marketing)
- 68 Collaboration apps (e.g. calendering, chat, IP telephony, project management, web conferencing)
- 13 Infrastructure apps (e.g. backup and security)
- 111 General Web apps (e.g. e-commerce, e-learning, forums, wiki, search, analytics, blog)
Rebel’s Elite Management domain services program offers you assistance in managing your domains.
Elite Management protects your company’s name and handles your account management tasks, such as renewals. These protections include:
- Preventing unauthorized domain name transfers
- Scanning for variations and misspellings of your brand
Website and E-Commerce Builders
Rebel partners with Weebly to offer its customers a discounted website builder. There are four Weebly website builder options available:
- Free: you a one-page website, and you can choose over 60 templates to help you get started.
- Starter: you a five-page website, as well as access to over 60 templates.
- Pro: you get a website with an unlimited number of pages, access to over 60 templates, and basic e-commerce functionality.
- Business: you get all features offered by Weebly, as well as full e-commerce functionality.
You can send and receive emails using an address whose domain matches your website’s with Rebel’s email hosting services.
You’ll get 3 GB of storage, the ability to integrate with your existing email clients, and forwarding services.
The SEO Toolkit is a free pilot program designed to boost traffic to your website by providing you with:
- Daily updates on how your website stacks up against your competitors
- A step-by-step SEO improvement action plan
- Relevant notifications and alerts, as well as personalized recommendations
- Optimization for twenty keywords
- Monitoring on four of your competitors
- Monthly progress reports
The SEO Toolkit isn’t an essential service, but it is a good option for those new to the world of SEO or want some assistance improving in this area.
How to Get the Best Deal
The price Rebel displays is valid during the initial promotional period only.
You can pay on a month-to-month basis, but if you pay up front for a year, you’ll get a small discount. To save even more money, keep an eye out for discounts — we’ve seen Rebel offer as much as 70% off your first purchase.
Free Domain For Length of Your Rebel Service
Rebel gives you a free (non-premium) domain for the life of your service. Many other companies only give you the first year free.
Yes, There’s a 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Rebel offers a 30-day money back guarantee if you are unsatisfied with what you’ve purchased.
Customer Service and Technical Support
Ever feel as if problems only pop up when there’s no one around to help you? Well, if you ever have any questions regarding your website, you can take advantage of Rebel’s 24/7 support.
You can contact Rebel’s in-house support team (they’re located in Ottawa, Canada) via email, telephone, or live chat – the latter only available Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time.
Rebel also maintains an active presence across all of the major social media channels.
If self-help is your cup of tea, Rebel maintains a knowledgebase that you can use to try and troubleshoot your problem.
What is the Rebel Academy?
The Rebel Academy is a collection of articles on common aspects of a digital business. However, be aware that some of these articles are quite short in length.
The “Getting Started With WordPress” article is more like a quick description of WordPress vs. a practical “how-to.”
These articles cover topics like:
- How does email work?
- What is a Domain Name Server (DNS)?
- An introduction to social media
- Get your site noticed with SEO
Rebel occupies that sweet spot where it offers budget-friendly web hosting, yet it also offers its customers professional services.
If you need solid web hosting for your website, as well as professional services to help you manage all of the moving pieces involved, Rebel deserves your attention.
I see that Rebel offers a 99.99% uptime guarantee. Why is this helpful?
An uptime guarantee is a promise from the web host that your site will be available at least 99.99% of the time — if not, they will compensate you for any unexpected downtime.
Can I use Rebel even if I’m not Canadian?
Yes! Rebel serves customers in 186 countries. However, depending on where you’re from, you might choose your domain name accordingly (e.g., Canadian users might want to stick to the .ca extension.
Does Rebel offer reseller services?
No, Rebel doesn’t offer reseller plans, though many of their plans will support multiple websites.
Contributing Editor: Sherrie Gossett