Founded in 2002 in Denmark, One.com has set out to be the all-in-one website creation solution; thus, the name of the company.
Looking at what this web hosting company offers, it does appear that it’s covered all the essentials:
- Web hosting
- Email hosting
- Website builder tool
- WordPress installation
- E-commerce “Webshop” creation tool
- Microsoft Office 365.
One of the problems you’ll often see with web hosting companies like these that offer a “total” website solution is the whole jack-of-all-trades, master of none quality of output. Is that the case with One.com? In all honesty, we don’t believe so. One.com’s solutions may be lacking in a few areas when compared to traditional web hosting companies or website builders, but the company more than makes up for it in terms of the quality of offerings provided.
One.com has been in business for 15+ years, served over 1.5 million customers, and provided those services in nearly 150 countries around the globe. It’s clear that this web hosting company has a truly viable website solution for users of all levels.
A Brief History of One.com
Launched in 2002 in Denmark, One.com has become one of the leading suppliers of hosting and domain names in Europe.
Keep in mind that you don’t have to live in Europe to take advantage of One.com’s hosting and domain services. In fact, the company provides support to roughly 150 countries around the world.
The One.com website states that the company is currently in a strong financial position, with almost 300 employees and a growing business that doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
The One.com brand started with a mission to offer a simple and flexible hosting and website building solution for all users, whether those users had any idea how to make a website or if they’d been developing sites for years. It looks like One.com has done a solid job of following this mission, with tools for both advanced users and beginners.
One.com has accepted several awards for hosting and domain services. For example, in 2009 it was the Editor’s Choice for hosting in PC Magazine Netherlands & Belgium.
It also received the following awards and recognitions over the years:
- #1 UK Budget Web Hosting Provider – UK Web Host Directory – June 2009
- Best in Netzsieger’s 2016 comparison of web hosts
- #1 ’Unix Web Hosting’ Award Winning Provider – UK Web Host Directory – November 2008
- Recommended by Internet World in 2008
- #1 UK Budget Web Hosting provider – UK Web Host Directory – 2007
- Best budget choice 2007 – Internet World 2007
- Best budget choice 2006 – Internetworld – 2006.
Some of these awards and blog mentions are more reputable than others, but it’s clear that many writers, publishers, and technology experts find the One.com system to be affordable and effective, especially if you live in Europe.
One.com has 3 data centers. All of them are interconnected with redundant dark fiber. The main datacenter is located at Interxion, which provides world-class server room facilities and guarantees 99.999% uptime.
The company is completely transparent about who it’s partnered with to power the web hosting solution — and it’s an impressive list of partners:
- Hardware comes from HP, IBM, and Dell
- Storage is provided by Hitachi
- Infrastructure is hosted by Interxion
- Firewalls and routers are handled by Juniper
- Switches come from Cisco.
Even though One.com doesn’t provide information on the actual facilities where servers are stored, this list of partners should put customers minds at ease if they’re at all nervous about the quality of security and storage for their websites.
Because One.com offers both a website builder tool as well as WordPress, web hosting plans include options for both. It’s the customer’s choice as to which tool they want to use, which is a nice touch; however, the website builder comes included. The selection of WordPress results in an additional fee.
In addition to having a built-in website creation tool, One.com’s hosting packages come with:
- An SSL certificate
- Hosted email
- A user-friendly control panel
- A photo gallery tool
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited websites.
Unlike most companies that strictly sell web hosting, One.com does not offer different types of web hosting like cloud, VPS, or dedicated. All plans fall under the classification of shared hosting.
What it does offer in terms of choice are different levels of hosting. There are various packages to choose from, each aiming to cater to a different user and business type. The differences between each package come down to the amount of storage and processing available, SSH access, and backup and restore capabilities.
The One.com website builder tool is much like other web builders.
- It doesn’t require the user to know how to code since it’s 100% drag-and-drop
- There are dozens of beautifully-designed and modern-looking templates available for use and they cover a wide range of website types so users shouldn’t have to spend much time customizing if they don’t want to
- The layout of the builder looks much like other builders, too. It has a clean interface, all the editing tools are on a left sidebar, and each element of the page can be edited (e.g. font, styling, color, spacing, and so on).
Available packages for the website builder are pretty basic. Similar to the web hosting plans, these were built with specific users and business models in mind.
You can read our review of One.com’s sitebuilder to find out if it’s suitable for your business.
For web hosting customers who want to use WordPress, they’ll have to pay an additional fee. It’s a plus that One.com gives its customers a choice between the site builder and WordPress.
Signing up for WordPress with One.com gives customers much of what could be expected when installing WordPress from any other hosting company.
- Simple one-click installation
- Access to themes and plugins available through the WordPress repository
- No limits on the number of visitors
- No limits on the number of sites or domains
- Email integration
- SSL certificate.
One.com offers various WordPress packages. The biggest difference between them has to do with the amount of security and SEO built into the plan.
The webshop tool is One.com’s version of an e-commerce solution. Customers can purchase a webshop add-on to lay on top of their preferred website creation tool. Customers also can accept payments on their site via PayPal and Stripe, and they can obtain an SSL certificate.
Outside of that, Webshop varies a bit based on which tool you choose. The website builder comes with a limited number of pages and offers customers access to high-definition image support and exclusive premium templates. WordPress, on the other hand, has more storage, works with multiple domains, and has no limit on the number of products or pages.
One.com only offers new domain registration to customers. There isn’t any information available regarding transfers, so we’re assuming you have to come to One.com ready to build a brand-new site.
Custom email hosting comes included with every purchase made through One.com for web hosting, website builder, and WordPress. Emails will reside on your domain and come complete with virus scanning and spam filtering.
For additional domains, backup and restore, and storage, you can upgrade to a premium plan.
Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office 365 isn’t something you always see available through web hosts, but it’s a nice touch for One.com to include if they’re really trying to serve as the one-stop shop for businesses.
One.com may not have all the bells and whistles that go along with being strictly a web hosting provider or a website builder tool. However, it’s clear that this company does understand what the end users want, and flexibility is one of those such things.
That’s likely why it offers so many routes through which customers can reach out.
- The website is translated into 14 different languages
- Live chat is open 24/7
- The contact page includes emails for sales, support, marketing, management, and even abuse
- Mailing addresses and phone numbers are available for offices located in ten countries in North America and Europe
- There is a rigorous Guides & FAQ page that covers most questions customers may have
- The YouTube page includes a number of videos that give insight into how each tool works
- There is a running log of all systems’ operational statuses, including those for One.com’s partners.
Is One.com the Right Choice For You?
It’s clear that One.com isn’t just a fly-by-night jack-of-all trades that isn’t able to offer a viable solution to customers. In fact, what they have here would be absolutely perfect for non-developers with varying levels of experience building websites. While developers could use One.com, the limited amount of control they’d have over the backend and the lack of insight into the web hosting probably isn’t ideal.
Overall though, One.com has a reasonably priced set of website creation tools, and everything seems very straightforward and easy to use. If users are looking for a pain-free experience building a new site, but also want flexibility in how they go about doing it, One.com would be a good choice.
Is One.com for you? If you’re still uncertain, head over to our sister site, WhoIsHostingThis.com. You’ll find another expert review, answers to frequently asked questions, and almost a hundred reviews from actual One.com customers.