California-based web hosting company Lunarpages was founded back in 1998 under the name of Lunarpages Internet Solutions. The brand has grown quite a bit since then, with new datacenters popping up all over the U.S.
What Lunarpages offers isn’t necessarily different from what you’d get with other web hosting companies. However, it’s the attention to detail in web hosting options, transparency about its infrastructure, and outstanding support coverage that should push Lunarpages to the front of the line when it comes time to make a decision.
Lunarpages is a reliable and trustworthy web hosting partner for people who want to spend less time worrying about their websites and more time focused on their businesses. It is also known for offering more than shared hosting, too. With options for VPS, dedicated servers, domains, managed solutions, and even design services, Lunarpages is a one-stop shop for all of your website needs.
About the Lunarpages Setup
Let’s start by talking infrastructure.
Lunarpages owns three state-of-the-art datacenters in the southwest corner of the U.S. To properly serve its hundreds of thousands of customers, Lunarpages works with a number satellite datacenter providers around the U.S.
- Zayo provides coverage in California, Colorado, Illinois, and Virginia
- Switch has a Tier IV design and facility certified datacenter in Nevada
- AIS also contributes a Tier IV facility in California.
Lunarpages Web Hosting Options
Lunarpages offers three types of web hosting options for its customers: shared, VPS, and dedicated. In addition, customers can pay extra to have Lunarpages manage the backend of their site with a managed hosting option.
Let’s review what each hosting plan entails:
Pricing for shared hosting ranges from extremely affordable to reasonable. It simply depends on how much bandwidth, storage, and premium add-ons you need for your website.
Here is what you can expect from Lunarpages’ basic shared hosting plans:
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- 24/7/365 support
- Online control panel
- MySQL database
- Subdomains and parked domains
- PHP and Perl
- SEO and pay-per-click services
Premium plans include features like:
- Custom domains
- Weebly website builder
- cPanel control panel
And for customers who want to resell hosting plans to their own client base, Lunarpages has a shared hosting plan option for that as well. It comes with white labeling, a WHM control panel for you, a cPanel for your clients, and the option for upgrades and features if you want to sell more than just basic shared hosting plans.
If you’re looking for something between shared hosting and a dedicated server in terms of both pricing and power, VPS is it.
Here’s what you can expect from the Lunarpages VPS plans:
- Domain name included
- IP address
- Cloud hosting, with either private or scalable options
- Multiple Core CPU
- Enhanced SSD storage
- Support from multiple servers for failover
- LAMP Stack Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Windows, IIS, MySQL, PHP, and .NET.
A dedicated server is the most expensive form of hosting offered through Lunarpages. It’s a way for your company to gain access to your own server without having to actually manage the hardware yourself. You get full control over the server, allowing you to make whatever customizations you want.
Here is what you get with a dedicated server plan:
- Domain name included
- Choice of control panel (including Plesk Onyx)
- Choice of operating system
- Intel CPU
- RAID hardware
- Options for additional and temporary bandwidth.
With a dedicated server plan, Lunarpages provides Windows, Linux, and colocation solutions.
Web Hosting Upgrades
You’ll see a few other upsells when you walk through the checkout process. These are not required, but some will come in handy if you’re trying to make your site look more professional or secure.
- Dedicated IP address: this gives you a completely unique internet address for your hosting account and website.
- SSL certificate: the certificate not only keeps your transactions completely secure but having a website on HTTPS will help put your customers’ minds at ease when it comes time to pay.
- R1Soft Managed Backup: basic hosting plans don’t include backup, but there is this add-on to keep you covered. This full-service disaster recovery system ensures that your site is backed up at all times. In addition, Lunarpages provides 24-hour support for backups.
- SecureLive Protection: block all hackers that might try to penetrate your website.
A managed hosting solution means that Lunarpages takes control of your hosting plan so you can spend more time working on your business. It’s a great option for those who don’t have much technical experience or who simply don’t have the time for extra (but necessary) website management and maintenance.
Here’s what’s included with a managed hosting plan from Lunarpages:
- Premium support through live chat, phone, or email
- SecureLive website monitoring
- Installation and update of apps
- Premium Restore backup insurance
- Email setup
- WordPress and other CMS assistance
- Dedicated time each month to help with design or development needs.
Spotlight: Comprehensive Support from Lunarpages
There are usually two ways you can tell the true quality of a web hosting company. One is by looking at the hosting infrastructure. The second way is by observing how rigorous their support system is.
Lunarpages Phone Support
With two call centers located in California, Lunarpages has an on-site team of experts ready to help its customers. And with dedicated lines for customers in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, and all other countries, there is more than enough coverage provided for any customer who needs assistance.
Support hours are standard, starting at 7 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m. PST for shared hosting clients. VPS and dedicated hosting clients receive round-the-clock support.
A live chat box is available to speak with someone directly through the website.
Submitting a ticket is done through the website as well, but Lunarpages recommends checking the knowledgebase and community forum first before sending own message.
The final area of support comes in the form of the Lunarpages Wiki, forum, and FAQs. There are comprehensive guides and tutorials here that should get most customers through the most basic of issues when getting started with a new website.
Why Choose Lunarpages?
Lunarpages is definitely a traditional web hosting company in the sense that it provides a solid lineup of hosting plans, ranging from shared through dedicated. However, it’s the attention to detail given to each of those plans as well as the company’s willingness to go above and beyond with robust support options, reliable infrastructure partners, and even managed services that put it ahead of the competition.
Whether you’re a small blogger or booming enterprise, there is a good likelihood you’ll find Lunarpages’ web hosting plans (and additional services) appealing.
Are you impressed with Lunarpages but just not sure? Click over to our sister site, WhoIsHostingThis.com. In addition to FAQs, it contains close to a hundred reviews by actual Lunarpages customers. They’ll tell you what you need to know.