- 14455 N. Hayden Rd., Ste. 219, Scottsdale, AZ, 85260, United States
- 866 463 2339
- Official website
- Founded by Bob Parsons in 1997.
Phoenix, Arizona is the main location of GoDaddy’s data centers, infrastructure and network operating centers, where they monitor all global operations. There are six large data centers, including Phoenix with in excess of 430,000 square feet of space. The other data centers are in: Chicago, Ashburn (Virginia), Los Angeles, Singapore and Amsterdam.
Overview of GoDaddy Features
GoDaddy. Known for its outlandish ads and attention-getting commercials, GoDaddy is one player that has managed to grab the attention of the web hosting industry in several ways. Not only is the company known for its comprehensive web hosting services, it’s also famously known as the world’s largest domain registrar since 2005. Adding to the list of accolades is the numerous awards the company has garnered for its top-notch 24/7/365 customer support, a comprehensive set of website tools, and rock-solid uptime.
Much more than hosting: This video shows how GoDaddy provides one-stop-shopping for online success.
So, if you’re thinking about using GoDaddy as your web host, you can be sure that you’re making a good choice. The company is well established with a very strong reputation and almost 2 decades worth of experience.
One-Stop Shop for the Small Business Owner
GoDaddy has numerous services that cater to the small business owner or internet entrepreneur who wants a one-stop shop to:
- Get a new website or online store
- Get a domain
- Get SEO provided for you
- Be found in local search
- Get social media marketing help
- Get online bookkeeping squared away
- Get a business phone number and have it forwarded to a personal cellphone, and make calls with your personal cellphone’s number masked as your business number
- And, of course, get web hosting,
To help you find out more about GoDaddy, this review takes you through what makes the company a great web host and also discusses the various areas where it loses to its competition.
First, Let’s Take a Look at Their Hosting Packages
As far as the world of web hosting is concerned, GoDaddy clearly takes the crown when it comes to domain registration with over 60 million domain names under its management. However, that’s not all GoDaddy is good at. The company also offers satisfactory web hosting services with a ton of great features, all backed by 24/7 technical support. Their introductory shared hosting package known as the “Economy Plan” features a free domain, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited monthly data transfers, 100GB of disk space, and 100 emails. These features keep getting better the higher up the hosting packages ladder you go. For instance, the “Ultimate Plan” adds a 1-year SSL certificate and 1000 email addresses, among various other features.
For users of WordPress, GoDaddy offers specialized WordPress plans. These are shared hosting plans, but they have been customized to get the best possible performance from your WordPress site. You’ll also get bonuses like themes, staging areas, and premium plan support.
Dedicated and VPS Plans
Dedicated plans, on the other hand, allow you to outfit GoDaddy’s servers with up to 32GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, and 20TB of data transfers every month, while VPS plans feature stuff like 8GB monthly data transfers and unlimited domains and emails. Basically, the higher the level and price of the hosting package, the greater the features you get.
Now let’s take a look at additional core products and features offered by GoDaddy
Performance and Uptime: What to Expect
One of GoDaddy’s strengths that you can always rely on is a dependable uptime that will ensure your website remains accessible at all times. The company offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee and goes out of its way to ensure that promise is upheld.
This video provides a tour of GoDaddy’s massive datacenter.
Strong Datacenter Infrastructure
The company’s global infrastructure is anchored by a massive 320,000 sq. ft. Phoenix data center that’s equipped with:
- Uninterrupted power supply
- Powerful cooling systems to keep servers and other equipment at the right temperature
- Lots of conduits to protect power and fiber cabling.
The center is also placed under massive security with technical staff monitoring operations 24/7/365 through CCTV to keep intruders out and catch and fix problems the minute they occur. GoDaddy page load times are also fast thanks to the company’s global centers. If you ever have issues with your site, the GoDaddy support team is available 24/7 to help you.
Speed: Easy Integration With CDNs
For optimal performance, especially when it comes to e-commerce sites where slow sites mean fewer purchases or WordPress sites (which comes with a relatively bloated core system), content delivery networks (CDNs) are a great idea. The purpose of CDNs is to cache your site across a network of servers, and when a user requests your site, the files are sent from the server that is closest — shorter distance = shorter transport time. GoDaddy does not offer CDNs, but it does support easy integration with CloudFlare options.
Security and Backups
When it comes to ensuring the security of your website, GoDaddy delivers more than satisfactory services. The best part is that it starts right from the simplest hosting plan. The Economy Package, GoDaddy’s introductory shared hosting plan, utilizes secure shell and also uses spam detection in your control panel and email accounts. Other advanced plans utilize more intensive security and offer support for things like a Secure Socket Layer (SSL). Also on offer is SHA-2 and 2048-bit encryption for all hosting plans and the option to buy SiteLock (a service that provides spam and malware monitoring, site-verification certificate, and app scanning). You may also have access to malware scanning and removal features. As for site backups, GoDaddy performs daily backups and malware scans for your website. They also allow you to create backup copies of your website whenever you want or pay a small monthly fee to have your files backed up and stored in the cloud
Who is GoDaddy For?
To give you a better idea of what GoDaddy offers, and whether it’s right for you, here are some common types of customers who would benefit from what GoDaddy offers.
|CUSTOMER TYPES||GODADDY BENEFITS|
|Internet entrepreneurs||Get a website or online store up in an hour. Extensive support by phone or live chat available. Optimize your SEO and local visibility with easy-to-use tools. Inspirational videos of other entrepreneurs moving forward with GoDaddy.|
|Those new to hosting or launching their first site.||Clear, numerous easy-to-understand resources for beginners: video tutorials, beginner-friendly tools, online articles, phone support.|
|Those who want to launch a WordPress site||GoDaddy’s process takes minutes to get your site up. Clear step-by-step instructions.|
|Those who want to boost business to their local service or store.||Tools for improved SEO and local business listings, a critical part of local SEO. Articles and videos about how to improve SEO. Email marketing tools.|
Need a Website? Let’s Take a Look at GoCentral Website Builder
Like most praise-worthy web hosts, GoDaddy provides users with a website builder. In this case, it’s a free GoCentral website builder that makes it easy to create a site. You can have your website up and running in under an hour when using the drag-and-drop site builder.
This site builder comes with hundreds of templates that make it even easier to create and customize your website. The templates come in 300 different styles for premium plan users (those on Business and Business Plus plans) and 50 styles for the personal plan. They’re categorized into 20 groups ranging from entertainment to education to real estate. So, finding the one that suits the feel and look you want your site to portray won’t be difficult.
How Does GoCentral Compare to Wix and Weebly?
The inclusion of GoCentral with its hosting packages means that GoDaddy is comparable to Wix and Weebly. Wix and Weebly are all-in-one site builders that allow you to get your website up and running with as little hassle as possible. However, they are site builders first and foremost, while GoDaddy is a hosting provider that comes with GoCentral as a bonus. What this means is that if you are looking for a simple website that can be launched with ease, consider Wix and Weebly. However, if your goal is growth and the development of a more robust/feature-rich website, you’ll want to pay attention to your infrastructure and choose GoDaddy due to the variety of hosting options offered by the company. If you need help, GoCentral users can get in touch with the GoDaddy support team.
Can I Use GoCentral to Build an E-Commerce Store?
Yes. The most expensive GoCentral plan allows you to set up a full e-commerce site. You get things like:
- A checkout process
- Support for multiple payment formats
- Support for coupon codes
- Inventory and order management
- Basic marketing features.
If you are looking for a full-featured solution that integrates easily with your hosting, this is a good option to consider.
Video: The owner of a clothing business explains how easy it was to launch her online store.
What Do They Offer WordPress Users?
GoDaddy offers a lot of support to WordPress users. But one of the most important things to understand is that they offer something known as “managed” WordPress hosting. That means they take care of handling a number of technical details, like plugin updates and WordPress software updates, that you’d normally have to deal with. This may be particularly attractive to small business owners. Here’s a rundown of GoDaddy’s managed WordPress hosting features and benefits:
- They make sure your plugins and WordPress software are always updated and current. This is critical for protection against hacks.
- They automatically create daily backups of your website.
- One-click restore: If anything goes wrong with your website, one click of a button will restore it.
- You can choose from a number of pre-built websites and simply customize one.
- Most of the plans have SEO visibility features baked in.
- You’ll get access to thousands of WordPress themes and plugins.
- Your site will load quickly.
- They’ll routinely scan for and deal with malware.
- Migrating your site to GoDaddy is as easy as clicking a button.
- You’ll have 24/7 access to WordPress technical experts.
- Some of the plans give you access to what’s called a “staging site” – a private, duplicate of your site where you can test out changes in design or new features.
- They install WordPress for you.
- You get a free domain.
- You get a free email account.
Need WordPress Website Design Services?
GoDaddy offers professional website design for users of WordPress, so if your front-end needs an overhaul, this might be something you consider. Alternatively, you can contract with one of GoDaddy’s WordPress web design partners.
This video shows how easy it is to create a WordPress website with GoDaddy.
One great feature of GoDaddy is quality WordPress auto-install. This auto-install feature saves you a ton of time by making it ridiculously easy to setup a WordPress site. All you have to do is simply purchase hosting for your WordPress website, sign in to your hosting account, select auto-install, and follow the instructions that come up. Your WordPress website will be up and running in a few hours along with GoDaddy’s security measures in place.
Help With Manual Installation
Alternatively, should you choose to do the WordPress installation manually, this web host offers hundreds of voice-guided, interactive walkthroughs that systematically take you through the basics of WordPress building along with WordPress tutorial videos that teach everything there is to know about this platform. To ensure that everything goes smoothly, you can use a staging area to test the changes you’ve made to your WordPress blog/site before deploying to the world. Most managed WordPress plans come with a staging area/site, and from there, you can push directly to production.
Need Digital Marketing Help?
GoDaddy offers an array of affordable digital marketing tools. These include:
- “Get Found” is a local SEO citation service that gets your business listed in important directories
- New to SEO? GoDaddy’s material is simple and geared towards beginners.
- Content suggestions: to boost your search engine ranking, GoDaddy’s SEO tool can provide content suggestions for your site.
- Suggestions for better ranking: Find out easily what next steps you can take to improve your SEO.
- Email marketing forms: GoDaddy provides a user-friendly way to add sign-up forms to your website so your readers can subscribe to announcements or a newsletter.
- Email templates: these are professional designs ready for your logo
- Mobile-friendly: all GoDaddy email templates work well on smartphones, tablets, or desktop
- The email program comes with analytics: track opens, click-throughs, and shares
- With the email tool you’ll get access to quality stock photos. No need to worry about licensing.
- GoDaddy can also connect you with marketing vendors for special services you may need
- Small business may want to consider GoDaddy’s “Marketing Suite” – this is a package that combines the SEO and email marketing tools, Facebook marketing tools, a Google My Business listing, and 24/7 support.
Customer Support and Help
Unless you’re a tech genius who can easily handle the running of a website or any issues that may arise, you’ll probably need the help of a technician at some point. GoDaddy is always there when you need help with tech support specialists who are available through live chat, phone, and email. They’re always ready to answer your questions and fix any technical issues at any given time of day or night. According to most users, GoDaddy’s customer service and technical support is excellent. The support staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt with fast response times ranging from less than a minute to up to 10 minutes. And as is the norm with most web hosts today, GoDaddy has a massive knowledgebase where you can find most of the answers to your support questions.
How Does the Money-Back Guarantee Work?
GoDaddy offers a money-back guarantee but it’s quite vague and is related to the length of your plan.
- You get 45 days if it’s an annual plan.
- You get 48 hours if it’s a monthly plan but not all monies will be refunded.
- Read all terms and conditions before signing up.
Any Extras or Bonuses?
- Free domain name for the first term of every website you create.
- Free website migration from other hosts to GoDaddy.
- Free website builder for all hosting plans.
- $200 worth of credits that allow you to make use of some free advertising in Google AdWords as well as Yahoo and Bing.
- A 1-click app install feature that allows you quick and easy access to over 125 apps ranging from CloudLinux, to Drupal, to MySQL, and even WordPress.
- A lengthy list of tutorials that is on all customers’ expert service menu. Separate from the company’s support services, these tutorials teach beginners and the technically ungifted how to perform various website creation and management tasks. This is a highly beneficial bonus as it prevents you from having to run to the customer support representatives with every question you have.
- GoDaddy’s website builder allows you to create backups of your website whenever you want (even daily backups). Therefore, you can have multiple copies of your website tucked away somewhere safe and ready to use in case you lose some of your site’s content. Not many web hosts offer this service.
The support team handles all money-back/refund requests.
Video: With GoDaddy SmartLine you can add a second number to your mobile device. Forward business calls to your personal cell. Make calls from your personal cell and have the business number display.
What are the Pros and Cons?
So, is web hosting from GoDaddy any good? Here’s a summary:
- The company’s pricing is cheaper compared to most web host company’s choices.
- Unlimited bandwidth right from the most basic hosting plan.
- Offers a full circle of services from the registration of your domain, to the hosting of your site, to email and security services. This saves you the trouble of having to purchase separate services for your site.
- The company’s website builder (you get the personal plan, though you can choose to upgrade to one of the three professional plans (or e-commerce/business plans) available) is visually friendly and has a drag and drop interface that makes it easy to insert content on pretty much anywhere you want. It also comes with the ability to perform backups.
- Provides email accounts for most hosting plans and also gives you the option of purchasing more advanced email services. This is a huge benefit for business websites as owners can engage in email marketing.
- GoDaddy does its security very well and supports plenty of technologies specially dedicated to thwarting spam and hackers.
- You can be able to optimize all of the basic SEO functions of each of your web pages using GoDaddy’s website builder.
- GoDaddy does daily backups of your site, though you can purchase the ability for more frequent backups.
- The available cPanel is easy to use and is equipped with more than the standard array of features.
- All hosting plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee. This is lengthier than the standard 30-day refund offered by most web hosts.
- This web host boasts of using the latest web hosting technology.
A Few Cons, Too
- One of the biggest downfalls of GoDaddy is the fact that you cannot change themes once you have chosen one of the pre-made designer templates without losing your content. Therefore, you have to be 100% sure that you have found the perfect theme before committing one of the templates.
- The company’s website builder mobile display is not as great as those of other websites.
- According to a good number of users, the GoDaddy support team is not too helpful when customers need help switching to another web host.
As you can see, the good of GoDaddy far outweighs the bad. And to top all that up, the company enables an easy setup process for your website, provides enough bandwidth and disk space to run a business site efficiently, and has best-in-class customer service/technical support, uptime, and security. Therefore, going with this web host will definitely deliver a good user experience. GoDaddy offers a lot of good reasons to have your hosting and domains with them. However, because they tend to do things a bit differently to most companies (because of their huge size), you can get caught up in red tape and miss out on seeing vital terms and conditions that may affect your business. Do your research, ask questions and take advantage of the free trial money back promise before considering a move to GoDaddy.
Please check out our dedicated GoDaddy FAQ.
GoDaddy plans & prices
GoDaddy’s web hosting solutions range from; shared, VPS and dedicated servers, to WordPress and cloud hosting. Here below is an overview of their plans and current price list. For more detail, visit our page about GoDaddy’s hosting plans.
|Plan name||Diskspace||Bandwidth||Monthly price|
|Basic Shared Hosting||100 GB||Unlimited||1.00|
|Deluxe Shared Hosting||Unlimited||Unlimited||4.49|
|Ultimate Shared Hosting||Unlimited||Unlimited||7.99|
|Basic WordPress Hosting||10 GB SSD||25K visits/mo||3.99|
|Deluxe WordPress Hosting||15 GB SSD||100K visits/mo||4.49|
|Ultimate WordPress Hosting||30 GB SSD||400K visits/mo||7.99|
|Developer WordPress Hosting||50 GB SSD||800K visits/mo||13.99|
|#1 Cloud Hosting||20 GB SSD||1 TB||5.00|
|#2 Cloud Hosting||30 GB SSD||2 TB||10.00|
|#3 Cloud Hosting||40 GB SSD||3 TB||20.00|
|#4 Cloud Hosting||60 GB SSD||4 TB||40.00|
|#5 Cloud Hosting||80 GB SSD||8 TB||80.00|
|#1 VPS Hosting||40 GB||Unlimited||24.99|
|#2 VPS Hosting||60 GB||Unlimited||29.99|
|#3 VPS Hosting||90 GB||Unlimited||34.99|
|#4 VPS Hosting||120 GB||Unlimited||49.99|
|#5 VPS Hosting||240 GB||Unlimited||99.99|
|#1 Dedicated Server||512 GB||Unlimited||79.99|
|#2 Dedicated Server||1 TB||Unlimited||109.99|
|#3 Dedicated Server||1.5 TB||Unlimited||139.99|
|#4 Dedicated Server||2 TB||Unlimited||169.99|
|#5 Dedicated Server||2 TB||Unlimited||209.99|
Alternatives To GoDaddy For Web Hosting
Head over to our alternatives guide to learn which brands we think are also worth considering alongside GoDaddy.
People share their opinions about companies on Twitter each and every day. We monitor tweets about GoDaddy and apply a sentiment analysis algorithm that classifies these tweets as positive or negative. Every review is from a real person. We use this information and output an approval rating score, which is based on real people, positive and negative, opinions about GoDaddy on Twitter
GoDaddy Review on Twitter
GoDaddy vs Competitor Ratings
Also a big THANK YOU to Rafi at @GoDaddy for helping a gal out this morning!
Owen Blacker (@owenblacker)
If you didn't already know that @GoDaddy are terrible people, not only have they spammed our DNS contact but their unsubscribe page 404s
Best CSS Award (@BestCSSAward)
@GoDaddy Congratulation from @BestCSSAward !
Punto Voto (@PuntoVoto)
Happy #VideoGamesDay from DotVote
GoDaddy Pro Sites Adds WooCommerce Statistics to Client Reports: - via:@GoDaddy
Юрасик Колобко (@yuriyko)
The latest The Юрасик Колобко Daily! Thanks to @ru_immofux @GoDaddy @Lancier1812 #marketing #free
Deborah Sweeney (@)
Getting smart about credit card access: - via:@GoDaddy
Shani Deshwal (@Shanideshwal)
Thank you @GoDaddy for providing a good domain name. @GoDaddyHelp is also good for support. Thanks again
WordCamp Portland (@)
Thank you @GoDaddy for supporting #WCPDX as a sponsor this year! We couldn't do it without you! #WCPDXSpeaker…
Natalie Hecht (@natmhecht)
✈️ Thank you #CreateCultivateSEA, @PrettyInstant and all the amazing attendees. All of us @GoDaddy had a blast!
Chris Hileman (@chileman)
Just started the transfer of my last domain name from @GoDaddy to @hover. Totally happy with the move! #Excited!
christopher carfi (@)
A great collection of sensible content curation tips here from @JenniferpPriest #Pinterest https://t.co/kLdvCKQAUn - via:@GoDaddy
The Name Depot (@)
HEG and GoDaddy join forces to help more people get their ideas online: https://t.co/fDboKvVjlE - via:@GoDaddy
Whiptail Publishing (@MyWhiptail)
RT @GoDaddy: On behalf of all of our readers, thank you for sharing your stories, acting as mentors, and entertaining us. We appreciate you…
Dejan Markovic (@dejanmmarkovic)
RT @GoDaddy: @bobwp thanks for helping freelancers put their best foot forward with optimized About Me pages in 2016 https://t.co/YDoYbrkPvl