When it comes to selecting shared or cloud hosting, there are so many options for to choose from that the small business owner may find the process frustrating.
With shared and enterprise cloud hosting plans available, dotCanada has simplified the process of finding a hosting plan that’s right for your business. Prices are a little higher than average, but we’ll discuss why they’re able to justify that — and why that makes this web hosting the right choice for you.
What Exactly Does dotCanada Do?
Founded in 2003 and 100% North American-based, dotCanada is first and foremost a web hosting company. You won’t find web design services, hosted email add-ons, or managed services here. DotCanada keeps it simple: you can purchase web hosting from them and you can also secure your domain. That’s it.
Now, there isn’t much information provided regarding dotCanada’s server infrastructure aside from the fact that it owns and operates all four cloud server locations that power its network. Each datacenter resides within North America with locations currently in Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Toronto.
It’s also worth mentioning that because its network is 100% in the cloud, this gives dotCanada the ability to offer a 100% uptime guarantee to customers.
On the website, shared hosting is referred to as “web hosting”. For clarity’s sake, we’ll refer to it as shared hosting here.
Like other web hosting companies, dotCanada offers shared hosting plans based on the amount of bandwidth and storage, as well as features, you need. However, one of the cool things about dotCanada is that there are clear limits set on the resources you are allowed to use, so you won’t have to worry about anyone hogging bandwidth and compromising your website’s performance in the process. This is part of the reason why a 100% uptime guarantee is possible (that and because its shared hosting is on cloud servers).
There are currently a few different plans laid out on the dotCanada website. If you look closely at the tiny print beneath the plan breakdowns, though, you’ll find that there is one additional plan available for customers who don’t need that much in the way of resources or number of websites. So keep your eyes peeled if you’re interested in dotCanada, but aren’t sure if the highlighted plans are right for you.
In general, here is what you’ll get with dotCanada’s shared hosting plans:
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Free domain (for at least one year)
- Enterprise SSD storage
- One-click-install apps
- Free site builder
- Unlimited email
- Spam protection
- 24/7 monitoring
- CloudFlare Supercharger
- Unlimited sub-domains, parked domains, FTP accounts, MySQL databases.
Premium plans also offer a CloudFlare Supercacher tool, backups, SSL certificates, and priority support.
Reseller Hosting from dotCanada
Reseller hosting allows you to sell shared hosting plans without having your own datacenter or servers. In addition to having all the features that come with dotCanada’s shared hosting plans, you’ll also get:
- White labeling
- Hosting WHMCS billing system and management
- Free domain reseller account
- Free account migration service
- SSL certificate.
Cloud Enterprise Hosting from dotCanada
For customers who want more security, reliability, and control over their websites, but can’t afford the high costs of VPS or dedicated hosting, the cloud enterprise hosting options from dotCanada are a nice alternative.
Here is what you get with cloud enterprise hosting:
- Customize your hosting by choosing the server location and resources
- Choice of operating system (e.g. CentOS, Windows, Ubuntu)
- Full root access
- SSD storage for high server performance
- Intel Xeon Core Processors for fast, consistent performance
- Server firewall
- Auto-schedule snapshots to capture regular backups of your site.
Domains from dotCanada
One of the nice things about domain registration with dotCanada is that it simplifies the pricing. DotCanada gives you three options:
- Classic domains (like .com and .org)
- Country domains (like .ca and .uk)
- New domains (like .club and .work).
The Pros and Cons of Web Hosting with dotCanada
There are a number of reasons to choose dotCanada as your web hosting provider.
- Simplified and transparent pricing.
- Catering to the small business audience.
- Then you have the awesome guarantees it stands by, including:
- The 100% uptime guarantee
- The 45-day money-back guarantee
- The 100% price-lock guarantee which ensures that customers never have to worry about raised prices; your original discount-priced plan will remain intact forever.
- It’s also nice to see the CloudFlare Supercharger added to all shared hosting plans. Security and speed should be something all businesses have reasonable and affordable access to, and dotCanada delivers on that front.
But as great as dotCanada’s web hosting may seem, there’s the issue of support that requires a quick discussion.
Seeing as how dotCanada’s services specifically target small businesses, we had hoped that customer support would take a front seat. That doesn’t seem to be the case though. Here is what we found.
dotCanada states that its North American-based toll-free tech support is typically available within a two-minute wait time and that its team resolves issues within five minutes.
But the reality is that, outside of being able to call dotCanada 24/7, the rest of its support is lackluster.
- There is supposed to be a live chat module available on the site, but it doesn’t appear to be present or working at this time.
- There isn’t a direct email option available; only a ticketing system through the Contact page.
- The knowledgebase isn’t the most intuitive, though it does appear to have a comprehensive selection of material to work with once you know what to look for.
So, unless you’re interested in calling dotCanada every time an issue should arise, this might not be the ideal web hosting partner for you.
Still hungry for information? Hop over to our sister site, WhoIsHostingThis.com. In addition to an expert review, you will find a list of frequently asked questions and their answers. It should make your choice much easier.