The Best Server Backup Software Companies of 2021
How We Chose the Best Server Backup Software
This server backup software review looks at dozens of companies and their backup software programs to determine which ones offer the best combination of features and pricing. Though no two businesses are the same, these reviews offer insight that may help your business find the right protection for your data.
It seems obvious when discussing server backup software that backup features should be included. Still, the type of backup available and the specific process used to create a copy of your data can directly affect the value of that protection. Ideally, a server backup should be readily available, relatively current, and easily installed. Our recommendation for backup features includes continuous, incremental, and scheduling backup. Our list of the best server backup software is based on integrations and reporting tools.
Backup software runs in the background while your company completes operations. To create a comprehensive backup that includes all operational departments, the backup software should work with your other suites, creating a single, comprehensive backup that also works for your CRM system, marketing automation, accounting, and other enterprise software packages.
What sets the best server backup software apart is its ability to run reports and identify issues before there’s a problem. Proactive solutions are always preferable when dealing with technology. A comprehensive set of tools to diagnose issues as they arise is also necessary to get your company back up and running as quickly as possible.
The 15 Best Server Backup Software Programs of 2021
Acronis Cyber Backup
Acronis Cyber Backup is an industry-leading recovery solution that provides flexible options for creating, storing, and using backup data. Some of the available features include:
- One-step backup: Instead of a multilayered process, Acronis Cyber Backup creates a complete copy of all selected files and programs in one preprogrammed step.
- Cloud storage: Backup images can automatically be saved to the cloud in remote locations, enabling more secure backups and streamlining data protection.
- Flexible restoration: There’s no need to shut down the entire office to recover a single file. Flexible recovery options allow IT to reload a single file or the entire system.
- Fast recovery: The speed of recovery is a major performance indicator for any backup software. Unplanned downtime can be expensive, so seeing an uptime measured in minutes instead of hours offers a substantial tactical advantage.
- Multidestination options: When creating a backup, you can choose from several final storage locations or opt to back up your data in multiple places. This allows for added security in case of local service interruptions.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Available deployments for all commonly used OS, including SaaS, cloud, web-based, Windows, and Mac
>Software assistance available via phone, email, or support ticket
>Continuous backup support
>More features at Acronis Cyber Backup
Pros & Cons of Acronis Server Backup Software
|>RTO advertised in seconds with minimal operational disruption|
>Includes APP restore for mobile devices
|>Pricing isn’t listed online|
Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup is an award-winning virtual machine backup and replication solution for Hyper-V and VMware environments. Designed for IT departments, IT resellers and consultants, and managed service providers (MSPs), the solution provides robust, streamlined, enterprise-level functionality. It is characterized by ease of use, speed, affordability, and superior 24/7 support.
Rapid response from tech support is another major benefit of Altaro VM Backup. The company advertises a 16-second response time to live chat requests and 22 seconds for phone help. This software package is available with either a yearly subscription or perpetual licensing, whichever works best for your budget and needs. As a scalable platform with an intuitive interface, new users can get their first, full system backup up and running within 15 minutes.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Windows, cloud, SaaS, and web-based deployments
>Automatically generated reports on backup quality and issues
>VM backup for Hyper-V and VMware
>More features at Altaro VM Backup
Pros & Cons of Altaro VM Backup Server Backup Software
>Rapid response times for customer service requests
>Easy and intuitive user interface
|>Mac OS is not supported|
Designed specifically for Windows, AOMEI Backupper allows total user control of data security. From creating partitions on each machine to building virtualizations of computers for easy deployment, it has a lot of functionality to deploy for businesses that run predominantly on Windows. Some features include:
- Real-time synchronization: A glitch or computer error can cost hours of employee time, but with real-time syncing at the file level, work is automatically mirrored to streamline recovery.
- Backup scheduling: The preprogrammed scheduler enables users to automate the backup process, running full system copies when not in use.
- Continuous and incremental backup: This local solution to data recovery offers two options, incremental or continuous backup. With incremental, you can restore rapidly from the most recent changes using an older, full backup set. With continuous backup, you get an effect similar to real-time synchronization, but with more recovery options.
Its affordable pricing and streamlined product suite make it an easy-to-adopt solution for the right customer.
|Starts at $49.95||Free trial||>Windows deployment
>Email, community, and self-help resources available
>Provides backup quality reports
>More features at AOMEI Backupper
Pros & Cons of AOMEI Backupper Server Backup Software
|>Restore system data to a new location, as needed|
>Automatic deletion ensures storage issues don’t interfere with current backups
>Scheduling system enables backup processes for times when systems are not in use
|>Available only for Windows|
Azure Backup, a Microsoft product, benefits from massive annual security investments made by the parent company, ultimately producing a product that incorporates time-saving solutions, such as one-click backups. This software is:
- Scalable: Protect one virtual machine or hundreds, all with unique settings and data.
- Secure: Encryption keeps a copy of your data, even after deletion, until it is deleted using two-factor authentication to minimize the risks from ransomware.
- On the cloud: In addition to on-site backups for rapid recovery, Azure Backup also allows storage to the cloud, enabling data recovery in the event of a physical disaster at your location.
- Report-capable: Dynamic reports show what information is backed up, whether or not the backup was successful, and error codes for improved data security.
- Enterprise-level: It works with various software packages and even offers consistency for apps, using VSS snapshots and fsfreeze to restore application data to its most recent point.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Supports cloud, web-based, and SaaS deployment
>Get help with questions or data recovery via phone, email, or support ticket
>Get automated reports about unauthorized deletion attempts
>More features at Azure Backup
Pros & Cons of Azure Server Backup Software
|>Seamlessly integrates with a variety of Microsoft products designed for Enterprise businesses|
>Fast cloud backup available in addition to on-site storage options
|>Not available for Windows or Mac|
Carbonite is a data backup solution designed to protect everything from a single computer to hundreds of virtual machines. It is one of the few options that offer consumer-level products and enterprise protection. Granular control over which files and systems to backup allow users to determine which software needs full backup versus incremental saves and when to initiate these processes. Some features include:
- Affordable cloud storage: Personal and business cloud storage is available for backups, with some tiers starting as low as $6 per month, based on the amount of storage needed.
- Scalable solutions: From small bits of data to enormous multi-server level storage options, upgrading backup storage is seamless.
- End-to-end encryption: Not only is data encrypted during storage, but it is also encrypted while in flight from your local server to its home in long-term storage.
|Starts at $6/month||Free trial||>Windows, Mac, cloud, web-based, and SaaS deployment available
>Multiple backup formats available, including incremental, continuous, and differential
>On-site, cloud, or hybrid data storage solutions available at the enterprise level
>More features at Carbonite
Pros & Cons of Carbonite Server Backup Software
|>Scalable solution with both consumer and commercial options|
>Extensive customer support options via telephone, email, and support ticket systems
>Small business package covers a server, external storage devices, and up to 25 computers
|>Cloud storage is billed separately|
What Customers Are Saying
Asked about Carbonite, users often point to its exceptional security and ease of use. One says, “Simplicity. The intuitive design allows even the least tech-savvy users to back up and retrieve data with little help desk intervention.”
Cohesity DataPlatform offers a comprehensive approach to data management that goes beyond simple backup and recovery. It brings all your data under one roof, removing silos and improving access across multiple fronts. Using a scalable, web-based platform, you can easily identify architectural needs and streamline workflow across various departments. Features include:
- Efficiency improvements: By using deduplication strategies and compression on all stored data, Cohesity DataPlatform helps minimize your data footprint, improving efficiency and reducing costs.
- Streamlined data management: Since all data is accessible through a single user interface, you can access, change, and manage incoming information near real-time.
- Faster development: By offering free system clones for developers, Cohesity DataPlatform makes it easier to run tests and shorten the release cycle for software in development.
It offers deployment via web-based, cloud, or SaaS models, making it a mobile and agile solution to data management.
|Custom quote||Demo||>Multiple options for data backup, including incremental, differential, and continuous
>Deploys on the cloud, SaaS, or web-based models
>Scalable platform for single users or hundreds of virtualized desktops
>More features at Cohesity DataPlatform
Pros & Cons of Cohesity DataPlatform Server Backup Software
|>Includes data management along with backup and recovery|
>Scalable solution that includes on-premises and cloud-based storage options
>Call, email, and support ticket tech support available
|>Pricing is quote-based|
Druva Phoenix is a scalable data management option delivered as-a-service, keeping all of the costs of maintenance and upgrades with the vendor. There’s no need to shut down operations for security updates, since it automatically rolls out patches, all without interrupting your service.
The intuitive and easy-to-use interface can have you up and running your first backup in as little as 15 minutes. Since all operations are stored remotely and the interface is deployed remotely, many processes are automated, freeing your IT department to tackle other items on the to-do list.
Policy-based data management allows you to make a decision and roll out the rules to your entire organization. If data is always stored for a window of time after being marked for deletion, you know that it is available in the event of an emergency. No individual user can interfere with your data control processes.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Infinitely scalable
>SaaS, cloud, and web-based deployment
>Contact support via phone, live chat, or support ticket
>More features at Druva Phoenix
Pros & Cons of Druva Phoenix Server Backup Software
|>Automatic, enterprise-wide deduplication|
>Rapid deployment in 15 minutes for some users
>Unlimited storage available
|>No local, on-premises deployment option|
IDrive offers an affordable solution for data protection and restoration. Protect an unlimited number of machines with this scalable platform, and gain access to real-time file syncing without exhausting your backup storage resources. Some features include:
- Fast recovery: Using incremental and compressed backups, IDrive reduces the time to recover specific files by only reinstalling the changes made from your last backup date.
- Encryption: All stored files are protected by 256-bit AES encryption with a user-generated key. The key to your encryption is never stored on IDrive servers, maximizing data protection.
- Archive options: No data is ever fully deleted without a manual deletion process, adding an extra layer of defense against ransomware.
- Comprehensive reporting: With activity, backup and share reports, you can see what your data is doing and ensure integrity when you need to perform a recovery action.
|Free version||>Comprehensive reporting
>Web-based, cloud, and SaaS deployment
>Contact tech support via phone, email, or support ticket
>More features at IDrive
Pros & Cons of IDrive Server Backup Software
|>Incremental and continuous backup options|
>Extensive options for reporting problems and getting help
>Third-party integrations available
|>No on-premise deployment options|
With MSP360, users get a suite of features designed to work in almost any setting. From onboard integrations with third-party RMM/PSA packages to remote desktop access that streamlines troubleshooting, its capabilities are extensive. Some additional features include:
- Extensive reporting: See how much storage you’re using, total costs in real-time, and total capacity with preloaded reports.
- Centralized management: Get access to all your systems and data from a single platform using the web-based console.
- Remote access: Schedule tasks and jobs from anywhere using the remote tool to roll out new deployments or ensure timely backup of existing data.
- Existing APIs: Work with various software vendors without worrying about data loss using the already included APIs for MSP360.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Comprehensive reporting
>Mac and Windows OS deployments
>Extensive library of self-help materials to reduce wait times for tech support
>More features at MSP360
Pros & Cons of MSP360 Server Backup Software
|>Third-party integrations available|
>Comprehensive reporting for increased cost controls
>Onboard backup scheduler to automate some processes
|>Deployment only available on Windows and Mac OS|
NAKIVO Backup & Replication
With an advertised 97% customer satisfaction rate, NAKIVO Backup & Replication is an industry-leading product for data protection. It offers a complete solution to keeping data safe and current, even when facing natural disasters, ransomware threats, or hardware malfunctions. Some of its features include:
- Global deduplication: Since cloud storage is charged based on usage, it costs to store more data than you need. NAKIVO’s global deduplication option automatically removes extra information, helping to reduce your total data management costs.
- Backup locally or off-site: With NAKIVO, you can run a backup to tape for on-premises recovery without taking up a lot of bandwidth or use a cloud storage option to better protect against on-site issues.
- Granular recovery: Restore a single file, a single computer, or the entire server as needed. With excellent search functions and the ability to drill down right to the needed data, NAKIVO reduces the amount of bandwidth needed to handle day-to-day integrity issues.
Pro Essentials: $199/socket
Enterprise Essentials: $299/socket
|Free trial||>Mac and Windows deployment
>Preloaded report options
>More features at NAKIVO Backup & Replication
Pros & Cons of NAKIVO Backup & Replication Server Backup Software
|>Extensive VM backup features|
>Streamlined data management
>Remote access for data management from anywhere
|>Complex pricing structure|
Quest Rapid Recovery
Rapid Recovery, a part of the Quest suite of products, offers streamlined data backup and recovery options designed to avoid impacting your business when data corruption occurs. Cloud-based storage for archiving data ensures your business can function regardless of weather or other issues that might impact a specific location.
There’s no need to maintain separate solutions for on-site backups and remote options with Rapid Recovery. It handles both, giving you access to fast uptimes from on-premises storage and remote recovery when on-site is not as current.
Quote-based pricing ensures you only pay for the services you need, so there are no extra fees for storage you don’t use. The software is scalable, works with virtual environments, and offers exceptional compression. Stored data can be reduced by up to 90% compared to its original size.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Cloud, web-based, and SaaS deployments
>Works with Exchange, SQL Server, Oracle, and Sharepoint
>Streamlined recovery options for minimized downtime
>More features at Rapid Recovery
Pros & Cons of Quest Rapid Recovery Server Backup Software
|>Extensive feature list that includes an advertised 15-minute recovery rate|
>Third-party integrations available
>Incremental, differential, and continuous backup available
|>Quote-based pricing makes it hard to compare costs through different vendors|
SolarWinds Backup addresses many of the most common pain points for businesses seeking data protection. With it, you can protect:
- Physical and virtual servers
You can also protect all the data you use with collaboration tools, including Microsoft 365, OneDrive, and SharePoint.
This program offers rapid access to cloud storage for backup and recovery processes, helping to move storage off-premises for added security. All data and systems are accessible through a single, easy-to-use dashboard, making it easy to restore files or the entire server when needed.
Pricing is quote-based, so you work with an agent to describe exactly what you need and only pay for the products you need. The software is designed to help reduce hardware costs, making it an affordable solution to server backup.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Mac and Windows deployments
>Third-party integrations available
>Get tech help via phone, live chat, or support ticket
>More features at SolarWinds Backup
Pros & Cons of SolarWinds Backup Server Backup Software
|>Multiple backup options including incremental, differential, and continuous|
>One console controls several recovery options, all included in the base price
|>Mac and Windows deployments only|
Instead of an in-house solution, Unitrends DRaaS offers a white-glove solution for disaster recovery and includes backup protection as part of the service. Guaranteed recovery times are part of the service package, with critical applications available for recovery in at little as one hour.
At premium levels, Unitrends DRaaS offers automated weekly testing for recovery assurance. Tests come with a report that details the exact time of recovery and any issues that may impact your business in the event of a service interruption.
With this service, there is no need to maintain an in-house IT department to handle backup and recovery. All of the technical expertise is outsourced to Unitrends, which maintains a staff of highly trained experts to assist with data management. As a white-glove service, Unitrends is near the top of the market for pricing, but reducing management time and expense may make it affordable for businesses without tech staff.
|Free trial||>Data management is offered as a managed service option
>Automatic testing for RTOs and RPOs
>More features at Unitrends DRaaS
Pros & Cons of Unitrends DRaaS Server Backup Software
|>Deployments include Windows, Mac, cloud, web-based, and SaaS options|
>Unlimited scaling options as data storage needs grow
>1-hour SLA for guaranteed recovery
|>One of the most expensive options with a starting price of $529|
Veeam Backup & Replication
Veeam Backup & Replication offers a comprehensive solution to data management processes, bundling security, scalability, and reliability through a single platform. Some of the features include:
- Controlled costs: Stay on the cutting edge of data protection, backup, and recovery without the upfront investment in hardware or software. With Veeam Backup & Replication, all of the upgrade expenses are outsourced, leaving you with a simple, easy-to-understand vendor contract.
- Automation: By automating many of the tasks involving data protections, you free up employees to spend more time on other, equally important IT tasks.
- Instant VM restoration: Get back up and running quickly and continue with development tasks in a sandbox environment to increase development speed.
With a quote-based pricing structure, Veeam Backup & Replication provides the services you need at a price tailored to meet your budget.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Social media marketing
>Analytics and ROI reporting
>More features at Veeam Backup & Replication
Pros & Cons of Veeam Backup & Replication Server Backup Software
|>Third-party integrations make it possible to work with a variety of software applications|
>Simplified data management through a single platform
>Automate backups and scheduling
|>Pricing is not transparent for easy comparison shopping|
Veritas NetBackup is an end-to-end data protection solution that works with various third-party software platforms, including VM protections for data from VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, Nutanix AHV, Red Hat Virtualization, AzureStack, and OpenStack.
With all data stored securely on the cloud, you can start a recovery operation quickly — from any location. Multi-cloud storage options allow you to avoid disasters that might affect a single data center while also taking advantage of many different partners for your infrastructure.
Veritas NetBackup is one of the largest data protection networks globally, maintaining exabytes of data for Fortune 100 and 500 companies. The granular recovery offered through continuous data protection ensures that you always have access to the files you need when you need them. With built-in integrations for more than 60 cloud-service providers, you can seamlessly manage all of your data from a centralized hub.
|Custom quote||Free demo||>Centralized data management
>VM backup and recovery across multiple platforms
>Extensive third-party integrations
>More features at Veritas NetBackup
Pros & Cons of Veritas NetBackup Server Backup Software
|>Supports 100+ operating systems|
>Extensive library of self-help resources
|>Quote-based pricing limits transparency|
What Is Server Backup Software?
As more and more business functions move to digital, servers become increasingly necessary. These machines offer more storage, centralized data, and computing resources — ultimately reducing technology costs. With all of a business’ data stored in one location, security and access become a major operational focus.
If a server happens to malfunction or the location loses power, it means the entire company loses access to necessary information. Server data can encompass everything from logistical information to customer data, so server issues can freeze all operations and lead to missed sales opportunities.
If that data isn’t backed up to an external storage location, it could be lost for good. That’s where server backup software comes into the picture.
Server backup software creates a duplicate of your business data that can be stored at a separate location. By spreading out the information, you enable your company to get up and running quickly after a service interruption.
Server backups can be run locally for storage at your location, on the cloud, or through another remote process. There are many types of backup, including:
- Continuous: Saving every change to your data as it happens in real-time
- Incremental: Saving a copy of any changes made since the last full or incremental backup was completed
- Differential: Saving a copy of any changes since the last full backup
- VMware: Saving a copy of virtual machines in a VMware environment
Benefits of Server Backup Software
Backing up your data is a preventive measure designed to protect your business from potential losses due to a technology failure. Benefits can be broken down into the following four categories:
- Costs savings:While technology offers a ton of efficiency benefits, it comes with a cost. Staying up-to-date on new hardware and security protocols can quickly bloat the most trim of IT budgets. Working with a server backup company can help share some of those costs with third A company that provides remote backup maintains all the hardware needed to offer service and takes responsibility for security.
- Operational efficiency: In the event of a technological failure, systems can be down for hours, or days, while waiting for IT to find a solution. Without a good, recent backup, data can be permanently lost. Regularly scheduled backups and testing to ensure each backup is functional are necessary to reduce downtime and ensure your company can remain operational, even during turbulent weather or machine failures.
- Disaster recovery: When a disaster occurs, recovery time is an important metric. Every hour your systems are down represents lost profits. Many server backup companies offer guarantees for recovery time, giving you added peace of mind.
- Regulatory compliance:Many industries (banking, health care, finance, etc.) have strict regulations that must be followed to protect consumer data. Working with a third-party company that’s already compliant can reduce the burden on your in-house employees.
Must-Have Features of Server Backup Software
When shopping for the best backup server software for your company, some features stand out as necessary. The following list may not cover every must-have for your business, but it’s a good starting point.
- Multiple backup types: A full backup takes several hours and consumes a lot of storage space. A real-time full backup is not practical, so your backup software needs to offer various options, including incremental, differential, continuous, and VMware.
- Off-site storage options:One of the benefits of working with a server backup software provider is storing data in a safe place that is not at your physical location. A weather event or other issue that might shut down your physical office may not affect your cloud storage facility, keeping your business up and running, even if your employees work from home.
- Third-party integrations:The best server backup software options work with a wide variety of software types and software packages. A single backup should include everything from your accounting software to your CRM.
- Detailed reports: Reports show each backup’s quality and help ensure you can recover quickly when a problem inevitably crops up.
- Automation and scheduling: With automated backup scheduling, the best server backup software works as a “set-it-and-forget-it” option.
- Compression: The cost of cloud storage can be hefty when looking at large blocks of data. Good compression helps keep the cost of real-time backup affordable.
- Security and encryption: Keeping your data safe and secure is one of the biggest reasons to use backup software. End-to-end encryption is a great way to add an extra level of security to your stored data.
- Scalability: A server backup software package should grow with your business so it’s always protected.
The Cost of Server Backup Software
Server backup software can range from free options to expensive, white-glove services. Most free backup options offer only local backups, leaving you in charge of physical security for the storage drive you use. When you buy backup software, you often get an array of additional features that might include:
- Remote access
- Data management tools
- Third-party integrations that work with your entire enterprise software suite
When you include storage along with your backup software, the price is often tied to the amount of space you need. Managing that space becomes a way to help control the cost of your data protection plan.
Cloud storage is often a great way to avoid unnecessary downtime for your business and ensure rapid recovery rates. The higher price is often offset by a full range of services that help reduce in-house costs for IT departments.