Compare the Best Online Payment Processing Services
|Providers||Transaction costs||Best features|
Best online payment processing service
Why it’s best overall:
We chose Stripe as the best online payment processing service for its flat-rate, pay-as-you-go pricing model and customizable interface and reporting tools.
|2.9% plus 30 cents per successful card charge|
Best online payment processing service for transparent transaction fees
|$0 if using Shopify Payments; third-party transaction fees apply (0% to 5%) depending on the plan, in addition to monthly subscription|
Best online payment processing service for social commerce
|2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction|
Best online payment processing service for subscription-based pricing
|From $99, inclusive of transaction processing|
Best low-cost online payment processing service for fast-growing businesses
|From 0.30% plus 8 cents per transaction|
Best online payment processing service for voice commerce
|2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction|
Best online payment processing service for established businesses
|From 2.9% plus 30 cents for payments taken virtually, 3.5% plus 10 cents for retail online transactions|
Best online payment processing service for high-risk businesses
|From 2.90% plus 30 cents; depends on pricing structure|
Best online payment processing service for a robust payment toolkit
|2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction plus monthly fees $25|
Most widely used online payment processing service
|3.49% plus $0.49 per transaction and 2.59% plus $0.49 per transaction for online credit and debit card payments|
What You Need To Know About Online Payment Processing Services
How can I reduce the risks of accepting online payments?
What are some requirements for safe electronic payment transactions?
What are the basic steps of payment processing?
What’s the difference between a payment provider and a payment gateway?
What are the advantages of online payments?
What are the disadvantages of accepting online payments?
How I Rated the Best Online Payment Processing Service Providers
I rated online payment processing service providers based on transaction costs, pricing structure, customer support, integrations, payment and customization options, and security and compliance. Whether starting a new venture from the ground up or expanding your brick-and-mortar business to accept online payments, consider these key factors so you’re fully equipped to meet your customers’ needs.
- Transaction costs: What are the overall costs of the processing service, including setup costs and transaction fees?
- Pricing structure: Whatpricing structures or models exist? What are the differences between flat-rate, tiered, and subscription?
- Customer support: Which processors providestrong merchant support for quicker issue resolution?
- Payment, integration, and customization options: Which processors supportvarious payment methods and currencies? Which have modern APIs and software development kits (SDKs) for fast, seamless integration with existing business apps? What level of customization is available?
- Security and compliance: Are online payments secure and compliant with industry security standards to protect customers against card fraud and data breaches?
As I evaluated the best online payment processing services, I considered secure, reliable options compliant with applicable security and safety regulations in the industry or country I’d want to work with. I also checked whether the provider supports tokenization to avoid handling customers’ sensitive payment data directly, along with anti-fraud and charge-back prevention controls.
Learn more about our review methodology.