There’s much more to a good e-commerce business than listing products for sale. Managing the website and related activities becomes more difficult for many people than selling products. If you want to focus on the core aspects of your e-commerce business better, signing up for managed hosting may be the perfect option.
- Managed hosting can help your e-commerce business in various ways, from making your platform more reliable to providing technical support.
- Managed hosting includes many services, such as server setup, backup and restoration, load balancing, and more.
- You choose the best-managed hosting service by evaluating the reviews and reputation of each company.
What Are 5 Ways Managed Hosting Helps Your E-commerce Business?
- Rapid server setup
- Managed performance monitoring
- Improved reliability of your e-commerce platform
- Worry-free technical support
- Backup and restoration services
Managed web hosting is a great option for anyone who wants to run a hassle-free website. But as an e-commerce business owner, some benefits of managed web hosting are especially important. Understanding the various ways managed hosting helps your e-commerce business succeed is important for deciding if it’s a good option.
Rapid server setup
Typically, when you sign up for managed hosting, the hosting company has various servers up and ready for new customers within minutes.
This is especially true when you’re using managed shared hosting or managed virtual private server (VPS) hosting, both of which require a new virtual environment to be set up on an existing server. Even if you’re using a custom-configured dedicated server, you can usually have it up and ready within days.
Managed performance monitoring
The hosting company monitors managed hosting environments actively to ensure everything works properly. While each hosting company has its own monitoring procedures in place, you can be confident all key components of your hosting are closely watched, including things like:
- Hardware: Your server’s hardware is monitored for problems, so failing components can be replaced without causing outages.
- Software: Performance, including database and operating systems, is monitored for errors.
- Network bandwidth: Network performance and bandwidth are monitored. Hosting companies may use this data to recommend upgrading when your bandwidth needs to increase.
Improved reliability of your e-commerce platform
Hosting companies that offer managed solutions are experts in running websites, including e-commerce websites. The companies know exactly what type of services you need and how to configure these to get the performance you want.
The providers also ensure that redundant systems are in place, even if something goes wrong, it likely won’t cause a full outage. Compared to self-hosted or unmanaged hosting services, you’ll experience a much more reliable environment for your website.
Worry-free technical support
Almost all web hosting includes some technical support. With unmanaged hosting, however, you’ll be on your own for tasks like updating software and troubleshooting problems unrelated to hardware.
Managed hosting gives you access to a much more comprehensive level of technical support. Professionals can assist if you encounter problems with your e-commerce platform — even if the hosting environment doesn’t directly cause them.
Backup and restoration services
Almost all managed hosting services are happy to set up and manage your data backup schedule and restore data when needed.
While it’s not difficult to set up your data backup policies, having the experts at a hosting company manage it gives you one less thing to worry about. This also ensures it’s done properly so you can be confident your data is safe.
What Is Managed Hosting?
With managed hosting, the hosting company takes care of most (or all) the technical activities for your server. While every hosting provider offers a different list of services with its managed hosting solutions, the best companies include at least the following things:
- Setup of the server: All managed hosting companies set up the physical web hosting server, the operating system, and other supporting applications.
- Patching and updates: The hosting company performs all patching and updates for the hardware, operating system, databases, and other software.
- Backup and restoration: Most managed hosting companies set up a backup schedule and perform data restorations as needed.
- Monitoring of environment: The entire hosting environment is monitored by the hosting company team.
- Expanded technical support: Most managed hosting solutions include expanded technical support, including help with WordPress troubleshooting and more.
- Load balancing: When needed, managed hosting companies perform load balancing to optimize your site during heavy traffic.
- Threat detection and mitigation: The hosting company monitors for issues like distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, viruses, malware, and more. When detected, the companies can take quick action to mitigate the threats.
Managed hosting providers offer many other services. As an e-commerce business owner, ensure you’re taking full advantage of the services provided. That way, you can focus on other key aspects of your business, such as acquiring products, driving traffic, generating sales, and shipping products.
How Do You Choose the Best Managed Hosting for Your E-commerce Business?
Review the various services offered and the reputation of the companies you’re considering. Taking this time to research helps you make the right choice.
You can also review our comprehensive ranking of the best managed hosting services available. We constantly evaluate new and existing hosting providers and update our rankings so you always have the best information available. Whether you’re starting as an e-commerce business owner or have been running your business for a long time, ensure you have the right managed hosting provider.
How Much Does Managed Hosting Cost?
You can expect to pay around $10 monthly for an entry-level managed hosting service. As you move up to higher-level hosting options, the prices increase.
The exact cost varies greatly depending on what type of actual hosting services you need. As with unmanaged hosting, you’ll pay more monthly for things like VPS or dedicated servers than a shared hosting package.
Managed hosting provides your e-commerce business with many great benefits you cannot get from an unmanaged or self-managed solution. These extra features mean you’ll have to pay more for managed hosting than unmanaged, which shouldn’t be surprising. But many people don’t expect that the costs are still quite affordable in most cases.
How Do You Start With Managed Hosting for Your E-commerce Business?
Once you decide that managed hosting services are the right option for your e-commerce business, you’ll choose the best hosting company. Most of the top hosting companies in business today offer managed hosting options, so narrow your search to the best overall hosting providers for e-commerce sites.
After you have chosen which company you want to work with, go through the various managed hosting options and pick the package that meets your specific needs. If you aren’t sure what hosting features you need, don’t hesitate to contact the sales or technical support team to choose the right hosting for your business.
FAQs About Managed Hosting Helping Your E-commerce Business
What are the benefits of managed hosting for e-commerce?
Managed hosting lets you outsource the more technical aspects of running your web business while improving your site’s performance and security.
How does managed hosting work?
In this type of hosting, a service provider leases dedicated servers and associated hardware to a single customer and manages those systems for the customer.
What is the difference between shared and managed hosting?
Shared hosting lets you host any website, including simple HTML pages, but managed hosting companies only allow you to host WordPress sites on the providers’ servers.