The Best IT Asset Management Software Companies of 2021
- Asset Panda
- BMC Helix ITSM
- Infor EAM
- InvGate Assets
- Ivanti IT Asset Management Suite
- KACE Systems Management Appliance
- ManageEngine AssetExplorer
- Nlyte DCIM
- Oracle PeopleSoft
- ServiceNow Asset Management
- SolarWinds Service Desk
- Spiceworks IT Asset Management
- Symphony SummitAI
How We Chose the Best IT Asset Management Software
Asset management software is designed to streamline the management and deployment of various software packages, ensuring all operational functions are up, running, and secure. While every business has unique features and challenges, this guide to information technology (IT) asset management software looked at security features, expense controls, and reporting options as the major topics that are of value to virtually every business.
By packaging in features like asset audits, maintenance scheduling, and compliance tracking, users can improve security for their entire IT stack. By keeping all software up to date on the latest security patches and all contracts current for external help desk support, asset management software makes it easier to see when security updates are needed and streamline deployment.
Cost tracking features allow business owners to see upcoming tech expenses at a glance, making it easier to plan for future expansions and upcoming expenses. By enabling planning on a regular basis, asset management software allows businesses to be more strategic in their budget planning and enables better decision-making when it comes to IT resources.
Detailed performance reports are another feature often found in the best asset management software suites. By showing performance issues and helping to track down bugs and errors, asset management software helps businesses make the most of their IT investments.
The 20 Best IT Asset Management Software of 2021
Asset Panda is an asset management solution that is flexible across industries. It not only tracks software applications but also can be used for physical items, such as machinery for a landscaping business or mobile devices. Some of the features included in this software package are:
- Remote asset management:All stakeholders can track physical and digital assets from any location using an intuitive mobile app.
- Improved security:By using role-based access, Asset Panda ensures that only those who have a legitimate need can access data specific to their job description.
- Custom notifications:Users receive updates about actions they select, so there’s less noise, and important information gets through to the right people more quickly.
- Consolidated asset history: When tracking down problems, an audited trail of users allows IT to determine pain points and solve future problems more quickly.
|Custom Quote||Free 14-day trial||>Available deployments include web-based, iOS, and Android
>Software assistance available via phone or email
>Third-party integrations available for a variety of software partners
>More features at Asset Panda
Pros & Cons of Asset Panda IT Asset Management Software
|>Offers inventory management for both physical and digital assets|
>Tracks maintenance needs and automates scheduling
|>Configuration and license management not supported|
AssetSonar offers an asset management program designed specifically for the IT industry. The entire stack combines the features most needed to help streamline administrative tasks. Here are some of the available features:
- Life cycle management: From the moment of purchase until it’s time to retire older versions, AssetSonar tracks usage and maintenance for all software purchased.
- Asset depreciation tracking: Help control costs with automated depreciation models built-in for all hardware purchases. This feature helps IT staff plan for asset retirement and future expenses.
- Service and warranty tracking: Every purchase comes with recommended maintenance schedules and warranties. With automated tracking, IT gets notified when it’s time to perform regular updates or when a warranty is about to expire.
- User management: Integrates with third-party service desk software, such as Zendesk or Jira, to provide integrated support for all IT assets within your organization.
|$69.99/month||Free 15-day trial||>Web-based, iOS, and Android deployments
>Support is available via email and phone
>Third-party integrations with partners like Zendesk, Dropbox, OneDrive, Okta, G Suite, and more
>More features at AssetSonar
Pros & Cons of AssetSonar IT Asset Management Software
|>Includes asset management for both physical and digital items|
>Tracks licenses and expiration for each software package
>Automates maintenance reminders
|>Deployment only available on iOS and Android devices or via a web portal|
BMC Helix ITSM
BMC Helix ITSM integrates multiple modules for ITSM practices such as change management, service desk, or asset management in a single, scalable platform that runs across multiple clouds. You can streamline data collection from multiple sources easily, reducing the employee time needed to manage a range of IT assets.
This entirely web-based solution is a SaaS option with onboard integrations for a variety of enterprise software platforms, including Rally, NetZoom, and ISL Light Remote Desktop. It also integrates with Jira and similar tools to streamline DevOps for a more agile approach to production. BMC Helix ITSM advertises a 45% efficiency boost for service desk response times, helping IT departments deliver more direct services without increasing personnel costs.
While not a traditional asset management software solution, BMC Helix ITSM uses artificial intelligence (AI)-powered technology to automate many standard IT asset management tasks.
|Custom quote||Free trial||>Web-based deployment
>Email and phone support available
>Robust selection of third-party integrations available
>More features at BMC Helix ITSM
Pros & Cons of BMC Helix ITSM Asset Management Software
|>Free trial available|
>Scalable solution with a focus on operational efficiency
>Comprehensive automation tools
|>Pricing by request only
>Only offers web-based deployment
Freshservice offers a full-stack solution for IT asset management, delivering a variety of automation options along with centralized data collection for all technology resources. Deployed via the web, its single platform does much of the manual work automatically. Some of the features available include:
- Auto-discovery: With this feature, all new hardware and software can be added to the IT asset management tally automatically, with no need to enter the information manually. The system runs a network-wide audit to collect data on any new machines and licenses.
- Centralized information: Track all physical machines alongside licenses, contracts, virtual assets, and any other configuration that’s currently in use.
- At-a-glance user information: Don’t just see what IT assets are owned but also track who’s using what, when, and why. With Freshservice, IT employees can track the entire picture to enable better cost controls and future planning.
|Free 21-day trial||>Web-based deployment
>Get help with questions via phone, email, or live chat
>Comprehensive asset management suite that includes configuration, inventory, and maintenance management
>More features at Freshservice
Pros & Cons of Freshservice IT Asset Management Software
|>Affordable pricing starting at $25/user/month|
>Comprehensive IT asset management solutions that include auditing and automated discovery of existing assets
|>Only available via web-based deployment|
Infor EAM takes asset management and offers an out-of-the-box solution tailored to meet the needs of a variety of industries. From casinos to aerospace, there’s an asset management solution designed specifically for that business. Infor EAM offers a variety of features, including:
- Maintenance management: Maintenance management features include predictive analysis to determine which hardware and software assets are most critical and when one is more likely to fail, avoiding issues that result in unplanned downtimes.
- Compliance tracking:Make sure all operations meet any legal or environmental regulations that may apply to your business. With Infor EAM, compliance tracking is automated to reduce the manpower needed to manage tracking.
- Mobile access: Log on to your dashboard from anywhere to track who has what assets, how assets are used, and when it might be time to renew licenses.
|Custom Quote||Free demo only||>Windows and web-based deployment
>Support is available via live chat, telephone, and email
>Third-party integrations that include Oracle, PeopleSoft, SAP, and many more
>More features at Infor EAM
Pros & Cons of Infor EAM IT Asset Management Software
|>Comprehensive IT asset management solution that includes inventory and audit management|
>Tracks licensing and suppliers for better future planning in IT departments
|>No maintenance management features|
InvGate Assets focuses on finding ways to help control normal IT costs using asset management techniques. For example, by tracking all hardware inventory, InvGate Assets can help prevent wasted expenses on new hardware when there’s hardware currently not being used that can be repurposed.
Other cost control methods include tracking all software licenses currently in use and avoiding ongoing maintenance fees for versions not in use.
InvGate Assets is part of a larger software package that combines help desk functions with asset management. It creates an end-to-end solution that helps maximize efficiency, and there’s a 30-day free trial available to help get started and see the results.
|Custom quote||Free 30-day trial||>Mac and Windows deployment available
>Support available live online, via email, or over the phone
>Includes performance reporting
>More features at InvGate Assets
Pros & Cons of InvGate Assets IT Asset Management Software
|>Comprehensive asset management toolbox, including configuration and inventory management, along with tracking for compliance and licensing|
>Reporting options that show asset performance
>Phone, email, and live online tech support
|>No mobile access for remote management tools|
Ivanti IT Asset Management Suite
Ivanti IT Asset Management Suite offers a range of out-of-the-box solutions for different industries, all with one common theme: avoiding waste. The asset management functions include a license optimization tool that tracks the number of software licenses purchased automatically and compares it to those in use, identifying where the company can save on excess software.
In addition to licenses, Ivanti also tracks a range of other IT assets, from third-party contracts to maintenance agreements, all with the aim of tracking and accountability on the user’s IT spend better.
Compliance tracking helps keep all data safe and secure and also minimizes the risk that your company might face fines from regulating agencies. Tracking assets from the date of purchase through their retirement is part of ensuring top-notch security.
|Custom quote||Free demo||>Windows and web-based deployment
>Includes inventory and license management tools
>Contact support via phone, live chat, or email
>More features at Ivanti IT Asset Management Suite
Pros & Cons of Ivanti IT Asset Management Software
|>Comprehensive inventory and license tracking|
>Deploys via the web and locally on Windows
>Extensive list of onboard third-party integrations
|>Doesn't include configuration management or cost controls
>No trial or demo offered
KACE Systems Management Appliance
KACE Systems Management Appliance takes asset management to the next level, combining security and inventory features with other IT functions, such as the service desk. Here are just a few of the tools and features it offers:
- Comprehensive inventory management: An inventory tracking system that follows everything from endpoint to endpoint. It tracks servers, printers, laptops, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices, providing a look under the hood of business operations.
- Software license management: With license tracking and management systems in place, businesses can reduce the amount spent on unnecessary product licenses and ensure compliance for every piece of software currently in use, helping to keep security up to date.
- Patch management and deployment:When a security update rolls out, send it easily through the IT pipeline to all machines, keeping every user protected and securing your corporate data.
|Custom quote||Free 30-day trial||>Support available live online or through email
>Extensive deployment options including web-based, Windows, Android, and iOS
>Inventory and license management included
>More features at KACE Systems Management Appliance
Pros & Cons of KACE Systems Management Appliance IT Asset Management Software
|>Extensive deployment options to fit any IT infrastructure|
>Remote deployment for configuration tools
>License tracking for improved security
|>Pricing is only available by request
>No phone support option
Businesses can track, inventory, and generate reports about corporate IT assets using Lansweeper. It’s an asset management software package that focuses on the following areas for tracking:
- Improved visibility:More visibility into what IT assets are available and where they might be located can provide a wealth of knowledge to those responsible for making spending decisions and ensuring every bit of technology gets maximum use.
- Productivity: Less time spent on manual, repetitive tasks means more time to focus on core competencies for the business, whether that involves developing software for a client, clearing a backlog of help desk tickets, or working directly with customers.
- Cost control measures: Avoid spending money to maintain decommissioned hardware and phased-out software. Whether the issue is extra software licenses or hardware that could be repurposed, Lansweeper lets you see what’s sitting in inventory and the related expenses.
|Free: Up to 100 assets|
|Free trial||>Extensive reporting options that include usage data and network performance statistics
>Only available on Windows OS
>Multiple third-party integrations available
>More features at Lansweeper
Pros & Cons of Lansweeper IT Asset Management Software
|>Free software version available|
>Comprehensive asset tracking toolbox for physical and digital inventory
>Configuration management included
|>Deployment only available on Windows
>Support offered via phone or email only
AssetExplorer by ManageEngine offers various functions to help streamline ITAM processes. In addition to standard inventory tracking for all workstations and network devices, AssetExplorer also automates the software discovery process, ensuring every copy of software used on each corporate device is up to date on licensing. Some of the features included in this software package include:
- Software licensing management: Track all software applications easily and avoid overbuying and underbuying for a specific deployment.
- Purchase order management: Reduce IT spend by better managing IT assets at every step of the life cycle. See what assets might be available and avoid making a new purchase when in-stock items meet the current needs of the organization.
- Cost tracking: AssetExplorer helps control costs throughout the IT department and can show a snapshot of expected costs related to each device. With more cost data available, IT departments are armed better when planning for future spending.
|Custom quote||Free 30-day trial||>Android and Windows deployment
>Customer support available live online, via email, or over the phone
>Preloaded report options for routers, switches, and network performance
>More features at ManageEngine AssetExplorer
Pros & Cons of ManageEngine AssetExplorer IT Asset Management Software
|>Comprehensive asset management toolbox that included configuration management|
>Extensive reporting options
|>Only deploys on Android or Windows|
Nlyte offers an integrated, enterprise-level solution to more than just ITAM. This software suite helps automate everything from cost management to compliance tracking, on both the organizational and data center levels. Some of the most asked-about features include:
- Automated discovery:Scans identify any software and hardware running on business networks quickly, providing a faster and more efficient baseline for future planning.
- Inventory management:Every new piece of hardware or software is added automatically to the record of available assets, along with optional important information like where it was purchased, total landed cost, who is assigned to the device, approved software installations, and more.
- Risk mitigation for improved change management:By scanning for new software regularly, businesses stay on top of unlicensed, unregistered, and unsecured software acquisitions that could put corporate data at risk. IT can remotely mitigate the issues by deleting unapproved software or installing appropriate licenses as needed.
|Custom quote||Free 14-day trial||>Windows and web-based deployment
>Integration available with ServiceNow
>Customer support available via live chat, email, and phone
>More features at Nlyte DCIM
Pros & Cons of Nlyte DCIM IT Asset Management Software
|>Inventory and auditing features available automatically |
>Configuration management included
|>Free trial is limited to 14 days|
Oracle’s PeopleSoft, once the foundation of operations for human resources (HR) departments around the world, now extends the same exceptional tracking and attention to detail to inventory via a variety of operational tasks, including financial, procurement, asset life cycle, project management, inventory management, and more.
Specific to the IT department, the ability to track asset life cycles side-by-side within project management features creates a synergy between departments that can result in significant cost savings. IT can see which projects are currently under management and the resources needed to help them succeed.
Inventory management tools allow the company to see what inventory is in use and what might be available and make decisions about purchasing new hardware or software. With the running totals on software licenses and information on policies like bring your own device (BYOD) provided by PeopleSoft, tracking what belongs to the company and how to distribute it becomes easier and more efficient for the IT department.
|Custom quote||None||>Web-based deployment
>Third-party integrations available
>Comprehensive toolbox of asset management options for inventory, maintenance, and auditing
>More features at Oracle PeopleSoft
Pros & Cons of Oracle PeopleSoft IT Asset Management Software
|>Bundles multiple enterprise operations into a single software product|
>Compliance tracking included
>PeopleSoft analytics include simple queries and complex data visualizations
|>Web-based deployment only
>No free trial
SapphireIMS uses leading-edge technology, AI, and neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) to make asset management more automated and efficient than ever. It combines many of the features IT departments and businesses want from an ITAM solution, including:
- Enhanced security:By enabling features like patch management and remote deployment, SapphireIMS technicians can update security software and avoid known vulnerabilities from a central dashboard.
- Cost controls: Detailed inventory lists of currently available software and licenses can help reduce the amount spent on annual software. When software is installed on a specific machine, reallocating hardware to optimize software usage better can lead to lower IT costs.
- Discovery and inventory automation: Manually entering every purchased piece of hardware into the asset management system is time-consuming and often leads to errors. With automated discovery for existing assets, IT staff can spend more time implementing policy changes and cost controls and less time on data entry.
|Custom quote||Free demo||>Windows and web-based deployment
>Customer support available via phone or email
>Third-party integrations available
>More features at SapphireIMS
Pros & Cons of SapphireIMS IT Asset Management Software
|>Deployments include both on- and off-premises|
>Comprehensive asset management toolbox that includes configuration and auditing
|>No free trial offer|
ServiceNow Asset Management
ServiceNow Asset Management combines the basic features of an exceptional ITAM solution with a modern take. Automation and centralized controls help reduce IT spend while inventory controls put more IT assets to work. Some examples of how ServiceNow improves business operations include:
- Lower IT expenses: ServiceNow Asset Manager offers a streamlined method for taking control of the IT asset life cycle, from request to retirement.
- Inventory the cloud: While many ITAM solutions track software licenses and hardware, ServiceNow also manages virtual assets like cloud storage. You can see expenses in real-time and help reduce the costs associated with remote operations.
- Centralized asset management: With a configuration management database available to monitor all assets and how they’re used, IT departments can better see the actual value of various hardware and software investments.
|Custom quote||Free demo||>Web-based deployment
>Automation functions for repetitive workflows
>More features at ServiceNow Asset Management
Pros & Cons of ServiceNow IT Asset Management Software
|>User-generated automation options allow for customized workflow|
>Simplified asset management through a single platform
>Remote access and controls for over-the-air updates
|>Pricing starts at $10,000/year
>No free trial available
SolarWinds Service Desk
SolarWinds Service Desk seamlessly integrates asset management with service management activities in a cloud-native ITSM platform. Asset data can be discovered through agent-based and agentless methods and integrations, empowering organizations to unearth all items within their environment. Beyond inventory management, these asset management capabilities provide greater visibility into lifecycle events, records of ownership, associated contracts, software licensing, related configuration items, and more.
With advanced configuration management built into the ITSM solution, IT can visualize dependencies and business-critical relationships, helping to improve the services they provide employees. By centralizing data in one source, SolarWinds Service Desk empowers organizations to eliminate service silos and streamline IT operations.
|Free 30-day trial||>Includes all commonly used asset management tools, including configuration and maintenance management
>Various third-party integrations available
>Live chat, phone, and email support available
>More features at SolarWinds Service Desk
Pros & Cons of SolarWinds Service Desk IT Asset Management Software
|>Extensive third-party integrations available|
>Complete toolbox for managing various assets, including hardware and software
|>Available only via web-based deployment|
Sortly is an inventory control solution that works for both physical inventory and virtual assets. The addition of customizable user-generated fields allows for custom tagging to help sort between types of inventory. The software can assign either a bar code or quick response (QR) code to devices for easy scanning and updating when it’s time to audit the existing inventory.
While Sortly doesn’t offer many of the bells and whistles of some of the more comprehensive ITAM solutions, it’s exceptional as an inventory tracking tool. With a 14-day free trial and a free version for individual users, Sortly offers several options to try out what the software offers before committing to a purchase.
|Free: $0/single-user plan|
|Free 14-day trial||>Web-based, iOS, and Android deployment
>Support available via phone or email
>More features at Sortly
Pros & Cons of Sortly IT Asset Management Software
|>Streamlines the process of inventorying all assets, including those specific to IT|
>Remote access to current inventory information
|>No onboard reporting functions|
Spiceworks IT Asset Management
Spiceworks Inventory and IT Management Software is a unique solution for all aspects of IT operations. From help desk services to tracking vendor contracts, there’s a Spiceworks option to handle it.
The inventory software is self-hosted and online for remote access. While Spiceworks may not be the most feature-robust product on the market, the affordable price point — it’s free — may make it an irresistible choice for those just learning about the benefits of IT asset management. Automated scanning allows you to collect details about your existing devices and more rapidly start tracking what you have, what you might need, and what excess assets you have ready when needed.
>Phone and email support available
>Built-in third-party integration with ManageEngine
>More features at Spiceworks IT Asset Management
Pros & Cons of Spiceworks IT Asset Management Software
>Windows and web-based deployment
>Integrates with larger IT management system
|>Limited features available|
IT departments often overbuy technology and underutilize devices and software already on the books. Solutions like Symphony SummitAI offer a way to help businesses make the most of their entire stack of tech assets, from hardware and software to virtual storage and IoT devices.
SummitAI enables improved security processes by providing automatic rollout for patches and other updates. It also performs internal compliance audits and catches issues before they become major vulnerabilities.
Tracking software utilization rates and other inventory control methodologies help IT departments identify areas where better cost controls could help trim budgets without affecting efficiency.
|Custom quote||Free demo||>Web-based, Windows, iOS, and Android deployment
>Third-party integrations with other operational software suites, including backup software
>Customer support is available live online, through email, and over the phone
>More features at Symphony SummitAI
Pros & Cons of Symphony SummitAI IT Asset Management Software
|>Configuration management tool|
>Deploys on most major platforms, including Windows, web, Android, and iOS
>Onboard third-party integrations
|>No free trial available|
Designed to work within a help desk environment, SysAid adds asset management to existing IT functions, helping to reduce expenditures and improve usage rates for already-purchased assets. SysAid is a comprehensive solution that includes a variety of tools to help with asset tracking, including:
- Configuration management
- Inventory management
- Audit management
- Maintenance management
- Supplier management
- Compliance tracking
By adding these features to the existing help desk ticketing system, SysAid streamlines functionality without interrupting normal IT operations. More transparency surrounding every hardware and software asset often means faster response times during a support request and reduced costs over the life cycle of the device.
|Custom quote||Free 30-day trial||>Web-based, Windows, iOS, and Android deployment
>Customer support available via live chat, email, and phone
>More features at SysAid
Pros & Cons of SysAid IT Asset Management Software
|>Comprehensive toolbox of asset management features||>License management not included|
|>Third-party integrations onboard|
While some IT asset management solutions focus on in-depth transparency throughout the entire asset life cycle, TOPIA is a security-focused solution. It works to limit software vulnerabilities and give IT personnel more time to focus on rolling out timely patches by plugging security vulnerabilities.
Inventory and audit management are built into the software, allowing improved transparency into potential security risks. Deployment is via the web or on machines running on Mac or Windows operating systems.
Premium: Custom quote
|Free 30-day trial||>Windows, Mac, and web-based deployment
>More features at TOPIA
Pros & Cons of TOPIA IT Asset Management Software
|>On-premises and web-based deployment||>No onboard reporting|
|>Inventory and audit management available|
What Is IT Asset Management Software?
IT asset management software, often referred to as ITAM, is similar to inventory tracking systems but with a focus on technology assets. In use, that means the software tracks more than just shelf position. IT assets have user histories, software maintenance schedules, and various software assets installed on an array of hardware assets, and all that data needs tracking from a central hub.
When IT departments can see a comprehensive snapshot of current assets, it allows for more strategic planning and better change management. As more companies move through digital transformations, being able to track both physical and virtual assets allows a more efficient allocation of resources and minimizes the overbuying of software and hardware.
As more companies start using cloud-based resources, finding ways to minimize the size of virtual assets is critical. Storage alone can eat up a tremendous amount of the IT budget, so implementing better management strategies can help pull more functions back under the IT department umbrella and create improved policies.
Benefits of IT Asset Management Software
Businesses adopt IT asset management software for a number of reasons. Some of the most common improvements a company might see after using IT asset management software include:
- Improved security: When dealing with thousands of pieces of hardware and even more software licenses, it’s easy for a particular device to fall behind on security maintenance like update installations. The right IT asset management software can not only identify which machines need updating but may also have the ability to roll out patches via the network, so users are never interrupted by standard IT maintenance activities.
- Better cost controls: A quick look at the number of devices helps place limits on the number of software licenses needed for specific purposes. Then, IT departments can narrow down targets even more by looking at user-specific software. Overbuying on license agreements and hardware can eat up a surprising amount of IT allocations.
- Transparency in IT infrastructure: In many companies, IT departments spend most of their timekeeping systems up and running, allowing other departments to complete their work more efficiently. Excellent reporting capabilities allow IT techs to see which machines need maintenance, check for any third-party warranty contracts, and monitor users to identify who might need extra training.
Must-Have Features of IT Asset Management Software
When shopping for an ITAM solution, some features are musts for most businesses. Ask about the following options:
- Configuration management: Seeing not just what resources are available but also how they’re arranged as part of the total corporate infrastructure. For example, machines distributed to HR might have specific software requirements not needed for a reception machine.
- Inventory management: Tracking all assets that fall under the IT umbrella, which may include computers, printers, scanners, phones, sensors, and much more.
- Audit management:Enabling easy auditing of existing IT resources to ensure everything is accounted for.
- Maintenance management: Automated notifications of when and what type of maintenance might be needed to keep technology running smoothly.
- License management: Tracking the number of licenses purchased for each type of software, how many are in use, and on what machines.
- Compliance tracking:Employees may sometimes add and use unauthorized or pirated copies of software. Compliance tracking allows IT departments to find any issues, provide appropriate licenses, or deny permissions for software that doesn’t meet security criteria.
- Cost tracking: Seeing the actual costs of a piece of hardware or software from the original purchase agreement to when the item is retired or replaced.
The Cost of IT Asset Management Software
IT asset management software might be available for free to businesses with limited numbers of items to track, or it might come with a starting price of $10,000 or more per year. Many factors affect pricing, including whether the program is run locally or needs cloud storage, scale, number of features, and customization.
Most ITAM software products come with a free trial or demo, allowing you to try it before you commit to a program. You know best what features you need and what’s in your budget when it comes to ITAM software.