Effective digital marketing is essential to growing your business, but it can be challenging to find the strategy that works for you. We’re here to help. This article covers:
- The four main digital marketing strategies and tips to make the most of them
- Why there’s no single “best” digital marketing strategy
- How to find the right digital marketing strategy for your business
Find What You’re Looking For
What Are the Main Digital Marketing Strategies?
There are four main digital marketing strategies. Below, we’ll cover what each strategy involves as well as tips to make the most of it.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is one of the top-performing digital marketing strategies. Nearly 60% of the global population uses social media, and the chances are good that your company’s target audience is among them.
Social media marketing is effective not only because of the sheer number of people it reaches but because it encourages direct engagement with your audience.
When you pop up in a consumer’s feed along with posts from their friends, it makes them feel like they have a more personal connection to your brand. They can reach out directly with praise, questions, or feedback and know there’s a good chance they’ll be heard.
To get the biggest return on investment (ROI) from your social media efforts, be sure to create content for the platforms that are most popular with your audience. Also, keep in mind the type of content that performs best on each platform.
The most popular social media channels and their demographics (demographics from Sproutsocial):
- TikTok: TikTok is a social app for sharing short-form videos. It’s best for targeting Generation Z, ages 18 to 24.
- Instagram: Instagram is for sharing photos and short videos. It’s best for targeting ages 25 to 34.
- Facebook: Facebook has 2.7 billion users, the most of any social platform. This channel is best for marketing to older demographics.
- Twitter: Twitter is a good place to share quotes from happy customers or other short messages. It’s less focused on image and video compared to the other channels. It’s best for targeting men ages 30 to 49.
- YouTube: YouTube has 2 billion users and is used more like a search engine than a social media app. To be most effective on YouTube, you should reach out to influencers to create content for your brand along with creating and posting content yourself.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is more product-focused than most other social media channels, with great opportunities for creating shoppable content. Pinterest is most popular with women, especially in the 30 to 49 age range.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn is a more serious platform than the others and focused on careers and corporate culture. It’s best for targeting professionals aged 30 to 55 and business-to-business (B2B) companies.
Tips for social media marketing:
- Pick two or three social platforms to focus on. Trying to create original content for every platform is expensive and time consuming and reduces your overall ROI. Instead, choose the ones your demographic prefers and focus on them.
- Tailor your content to each platform. Each social channel has its own vibe, and it’s important to create content that reflects these differences.
- Use a tool, such as Hootsuite, to schedule your posts. Automating your social media posts means one less thing for you to do.
Email marketing is one of the oldest digital marketing strategies, and it’s still one of the most effective and cost-efficient. For every $1 you spend on email marketing, it generates an average of $42. That’s a serious ROI, making it a smart investment for any small business.
There are many email marketing tools available that are inexpensive or even free for a certain number of subscribers, so there’s no cost barrier to getting started. Choose your provider, such as Mailchimp or ConvertKit, and use their templates to create a professional-looking email.
You can send a huge variety of emails including sales announcements, regular weekly or monthly newsletters, requests for reviews, and so much more. However, you choose to use your email list, be sure to include a welcome email. Thank your new subscribers for signing up and let them know what type of content they can expect to receive.
Tips for email marketing:
- Your subject line is the most important part of your email. If the subject line doesn’t compel readers to open it, it doesn’t matter how great the rest of the email is because they’ll never see it.
- You can support your subject line by including preheader text in your email. The preheader text is the text that follows the subject line, and it can be read as a preview before the user opens the email.
- Use a call-to-action (CTA) in every email. Tell the reader what you want them to do next, whether it’s to view a new collection or leave a review for their recent purchase.
Content marketing is a digital marketing strategy that involves creating content such as blog posts, videos, podcasts, e-books, infographics, and white papers. This strategy works best when the content you create isn’t directly promotional. Instead, focus on providing high-value information that helps your audience answer a question or solve a problem they have.
The effectiveness of your content marketing strategy is only as good as your content, so it’s important to spend time brainstorming topics that are most relevant to your audience. What problem does your product solve? What are the most common questions you get from customers? This is what your content should focus on.
Customers appreciate companies that provide high-value information for free. Because you’ve given them something valuable without asking for anything in return, you’ve already won their trust and will likely eventually win their purchases.
Tips for content marketing:
- Content marketing is one of the best opportunities to tie in SEO, another important digital marketing strategy. Focus on keywords, linking to relevant content from your website, and using proper heading formats.
- Whenever possible, provide in-depth information for your audience. This is especially important for long-form, text-based content such as blog posts. Short articles receive less engagement than comprehensive content.
- Once you’ve developed a steady stream of content, use your website analytics to study which pieces performed best. You might find that certain topics get more attention or that your audience vastly prefers blog posts over podcasts. Use this information to hone your content strategy.
SEO involves using keywords, title tags, meta descriptions, backlinks, and much more to optimize your website for internet searches. The goal of SEO is to make your brand and content stand out against the competition.
Many small business owners shy away from SEO because it seems overwhelming. While there are entire professions dedicated to SEO, you can still make a huge impact even as a beginner by incorporating on-page SEO basics. As you get more comfortable with it, you can begin to add more advanced tactics to your SEO strategy.
Tips for SEO:
- If it’s in your budget, consider hiring an SEO expert to help you develop a robust strategy for your business. If that’s not an option, there are numerous free online resources to help you learn all the nuances of SEO yourself.
- SEO is an extremely important digital marketing strategy that should be part of any company’s overall marketing plan. However, it does take time to see the effects after implementing SEO tactics. Be patient as it will pay off.
What Is the Most Effective Digital Marketing Strategy?
There isn’t one method that outshines the rest, and no successful business today follows just one digital marketing strategy. The best way to approach digital marketing is to look at it as a multifaceted strategy that includes a combination of email, social media, content, and SEO. The more marketing avenues you use, the more potential customers you’ll reach.
How Do You Choose a Digital Marketing Strategy for Your Business?
For most companies, a blend of email, social media, content, and SEO is the best strategy for digital marketing. Whatever combination you choose, be sure to use marketing analytics software to help you see what is working best for your business.
Of the four main digital marketing strategies we’ve covered, SEO is the only one that is essentially the same for every business. The strategies of SEO aren’t tied to a demographic or audience preferences. It’s all about making your website and content easier for search engines to find and serve up to your potential customers. To develop this strategy, you’ll simply need to study up on SEO tactics and implement them on your website.
To determine your social media strategy, consider what your audience is like. Are they TikTok-obsessed Gen Z? Corporate professionals looking to network? How old are they? Use this information to select the social channels that are most appropriate for them. You can also look at the social platforms your competitors are using to help you determine which ones to focus on.
Creating your email content marketing strategies follows a similar process, but instead of trying to find the right platform, you’ll be looking for the best type of content to create and how often to share it. How often do your competitors send out emails or post free resources on their websites? Which content seems to resonate the most with customers?
You never want to steal your competitors’ content, but you can gather useful information to inform your own marketing strategy. Always aim to provide emails, social media posts, and other types of content that are higher quality or more comprehensive than what your competitors offer.
With this overview of the four most popular digital marketing strategies, you can create a comprehensive marketing plan that gets your business noticed and drive sales.
Related Software and Services
- The Best Marketing Automation Software of 2021
- The Best E-Commerce Website Builders of 2021
- The Best Marketing Attribution Software of 2021
- Everything Your Business Needs To Know about Marketing
- 7 Marketing Tools That Your Business Needs in 2021
- The Best Digital Marketing Agencies of 2021
- Internet Marketing for Your Nonprofit or NGO