Python is a programming language that was developed in 1991, it has grown in popularity over the last decade. Python developers are among the most in-demand in the tech world today.
The Python programming language is a general-purpose option, meaning it can be used to create almost any type of computer program, including websites. It’s surprisingly easy to learn, yet still powerful enough for some of the most advanced applications out there, making it a programming language that benefits any developer.
If you want to learn how to build a website with Python, you’ll need to have a good grasp of this language as well as a good understanding of how websites work. This page is a high-level introduction to how to build a website with Python to help you get started.
In the end, there will be links to some additional resources that can help you to learn Python so you can create your site. As you read through this page, you’ll learn information like:
- Why many people choose to use Python to build a website
- Examples of popular sites created using Pythonbuild
- Basic steps required for building a website using Python
- Resources for learning more about Python
Table of Contents
Why You Can Use Python To Build a Website
The Python programming language can be used to create a huge variety of different types of things, including websites. Making websites with Python is easier than most people think because of the fact that this language makes use of something called “frameworks.”
Frameworks are prebuilt selections of code that are made to perform specific tasks. When creating a website, for example, there are frameworks that’ll give your site structure, perform common functionalities, and much more. To put it simply, you can use a framework to dramatically cut down the total amount of actual coding you need to perform, which will save you a ton of time.
Examples of Sites Created Using Python
Here are some examples of websites that have been created using the Python programming language. These illustrate the coding language’s versatility:
- Google: The most popular search engine in the world uses Python
- Instagram: Python was used to create the backend of Instagram
- Spotify: Python is one of the reasons Spotify can serve up audio files with virtually no delay
- Netflix: Much of the Netflix website and overall service was coded in Python
- Uber: Uber revolutionized the ride-sharing industry and its service is built with Python
Of course, millions of other websites use Python for some or all of their programming with that number growing daily.
How To Build a Website With Python
No matter what language you use, building a website from scratch is going to take some time and effort. Python makes many things about website building faster and easier, but you still need to make sure you have everything in place and complete all the essential steps. The following are just some of the critical things you need to do to launch a website coded in Python successfully.
Set Up Python Web Hosting
As with any website, you’ll need to have good hosting in place. Almost all web hosting companies today will support running pages that are made using Python. There are some, however, that are better than others or specialize in hosting these types of sites.
Taking the time to find the right hosting company for your Python website will help ensure you don’t run into trouble down the road. While most hosting companies can run Python-based sites, those that don’t have it as a focus may not keep their systems updated to the latest versions of Python. This can cause your website to load incorrectly if you begin using updated versions before the hosting provider is ready. If you’re looking for a good option to consider, we have ranked and reviewed the top Python hosting companies to help ensure you pick the right one.
Choose Your Framework
One of the most important steps when creating a website with Python is choosing your framework. There are quite a few different popular frameworks that will make it faster and easier to make a website. The following are among the most popular Python frameworks used today:
- Django: Django is one of the most recognized options as it uses the “Don’t Repeat Yourself” principle, allowing you to reuse code. It also has several great libraries that are ready to use.
- Flask: Flask is a microframework that’s not open source, which makes it great for some people. This framework is also compatible with Google App Engine, which is key for some people.
- Web2Py: This is a full-stack open-source framework that can run on almost any web hosting platform. It also has built-in security measures for common web vulnerabilities.
- AIOHTTP: AIOHTTP is an asynchronous framework that has both a server and client-side function, making it very useful for many types of sites.
There are, of course, dozens of other frameworks to choose from. Finding the one that’s right for you based on your needs may take a little time, but it’s well worth the effort.
Code Your Website
Once you have your framework picked out and in place, you’ll be ready to begin coding your website. This is where you’ll be spending most of your time, though many first-time users are surprised at just how quickly it can go. The bulk of the steps that need to be manually coded when using other languages are already in place, thanks to the established Python frameworks.
An experienced Python developer can have a website up and running relatively quickly. Using the right frameworks, you could have an extremely basic site up in well under an hour. A typical website will typically take about a day, if you don’t include creating the actual content for the site. Remember that, after initially coding your site, you’ll constantly update and improve it to keep it current and functioning properly.
Resources for Learning Python
If you don’t already know Python, or this will be your first time using it for web development, you’ll need to learn some key points to get started. Python is widely considered one of the easiest programming languages to learn today. Additionally, no matter what level of learning you require, there are resources available to you.
Consider some of the following great options:
- Digital.com’s Python for Beginners Page: This is an excellent introduction to Python that’ll explain what it is, how it works, and much more.
- Python’s Official Website: The Python website is a great resource. You can download the source code and installers, which is critical. It also has some great documentation to get you going.
- Python Class from Google: Google uses Python for a lot of things, and it offers a good class to help get developers started. This is a free class that can be very helpful.
- Python Videos: If you like to learn things by seeing them in a video, this page has a lot of great resources to help get you going.
- Languages and Frameworks: If you still aren’t certain that Python is the right option for you, we created an overview of different languages and frameworks to help you understand your options so you can pick the best one.
Just Give it a Try
You can spend countless hours researching and investigating your options for creating a website. In the end, however, it’s best to try it out. One of the best things about Python is that it’s easy to learn, and you can see real results very quickly. If you think that you want to make a website with Python, the best thing to do is just give it a try. You’ll likely be surprised at how easy it is.