If you know how to create websites, you can make money building websites. Many people expect increasing demand for new and rebuilt websites. For most people in this field, the actual process of creating a site is easy and enjoyable. However, the aspect of this type of work that’s challenging is figuring out how much to charge.
Without looking too hard, you can find that some people charge tens of thousands of dollars to create a site, and others will make a website for $5. Most people charge somewhere in between. Figuring out how much to charge can be challenging, but it’s worthwhile.
- To create websites professionally, it is essential to have skills in PHP, Java, and CSS, among others.
- Most websites can be efficiently designed using website builders, and it is best to choose a reputable provider to handle this.
- Consider your time, experience, customization, and costs when deciding what you will charge for creating websites.
What Skills Are Needed To Build a Website?
You can create websites without coding and using tools like WordPress or various website builders. These excellent tools allow you to get a great-looking website operational far more quickly than ever before.
With modern web design, the skill sets required have more to do with knowing what looks good, what encourages visitors to take action, and other design-related skills. Learning how to do the actual programming is still a good idea. If you want to be a true leader in the web design industry, you need a solid understanding of the various web-focused languages, as this allows you to make the precise changes needed for your sites to stand out.
Should You Use a Website Builder?
Undoubtedly, the easiest way to create a website is by using a website builder. These tools and services allow you to create an attractive custom website that performs all the necessary functions without coding. While some site designers frown on using these types of tools, the reality is they have their place in the website-building industry.
If you want to make a living by building websites, knowing how to use website builders to their full potential is essential. Not all sites can or should be made with website builders, but most sites for individuals and businesses benefit from this option. Anyone who makes websites should know the best website builders available.
How Do You Set Your Prices for Building Websites?
Setting your prices is one of the most complex parts of making websites. Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Many factors go into setting your prices, and some of the most important things include:
- Customization: You need to charge much more if creating a unique website vs. a generic WordPress page.
- Your time: This goes hand-in-hand with the customization, but the more time you spend on a project, the more it should cost. Even if you don’t charge hourly, your time must be factored into your price.
- Your experience: As with any industry, the more experience you have, the more you can charge. Ensure you raise your prices about once yearly as you become more of an expert.
- Your costs: It is important to continuously calculate the costs of building a website. This includes expenses related to your utilities, computer setup, and things specific to the site, such as themes, images, and more.
To give you a good idea of setting your prices, a survey from Indeed found that the average base salary for a web designer in the U.S. is slightly more than $24 per hour. You may want to charge less if you’re just starting and want to create work to build up your portfolio. But you can charge quite a bit more if you’re an industry expert.
Should you charge by the project or hourly?
Another common question website builders have is whether to charge by the hour or project. There are benefits to both options, but it’s better to set by the project, which ensures both you and your client know exactly how much it’ll cost and what they’ll be getting. It also allows you to handle your budgeting much more quickly.
Charging by the project also benefits you more as you gain additional experience. You’ll get faster at building websites, which effectively acts as a raise in pay. For example, if you charge $500 per website, you’ll earn $500, whether it takes five or 10 hours to complete.
Increase your profits with extra services
In addition to earning money by creating websites, many people in this industry supplement their income with some extra services. For example, if you’re creating a website for a company, it likely needs a good hosting service.
If you have a great reseller web hosting account, you can provide the company with that hosting and earn some extra cash. You can also make a commission from services that offer images, videos, marketing, and more if you refer your clients to those companies.
What Are Common Questions Potential Clients Will Ask?
While the most common question most clients ask is how much you charge, there are various other FAQs. If you want to land new clients consistently, you need to be prepared to answer these types of inquiries:
- What tools do you use to build my website?
- Where will my website be hosted?
- Do you offer updates to my website?
- Will you create content for my site?
- Where can I have custom graphics designed?
- Do you provide support if I have problems?
How Do You Start Building Your Web Design Service Today?
Whether you want to work for a company as a website builder or will run it as your own business, it can be scary to get started. For most people, jumping right in is the best thing to do. While you’ll undoubtedly make mistakes, you’ll learn and improve over time.
Remember, even if you set your prices incorrectly for your first few clients, you can always raise them later. As long as you’re providing people with excellent service, you won’t have any trouble attracting customers.
FAQs About Charging To Build a Website
What do you need to consider before building a website?
Think about creating a mobile-friendly design, the purpose of the site, the target audience, and engaging content, among other factors.
How many hours does it take to build a website?
It can take between 150 and 500 hours to build a website, depending on the content and images and who is building the site.
What are the three main parts of a website?
The principal components are the header, menu, content, images, and footer.