Your business image is important. It’s your company’s brand. Everything— from your business website to the email address you use —is a reflection of your brand. The better your brand looks, the better the relationship you’ll have with past, present and future customers.
One mistake many first-time entrepreneurs make is using a personal email address. It’s hard for customers and clients to take a business seriously if it sends an email from an address like [email protected] or [email protected]
With modern hosting platforms like:
- Bluehost: Best Email Hosting Solution
- DreamHost: Best Email Hosting For SMBs
- Hostinger: Best Budget Email Hosting
- GreenGeeks: Best Eco-Friendly Hosting
- GoDaddy: Best Email Hosting and Domain Bundle
You don’t need to use these unprofessional email addresses. You can create an email address using your custom domain like [email protected] and connect it directly to your Gmail account. This means you’ll get all the convenience of the Gmail platform, but with your business name in the email address instead of Gmail.com.
Here’s how you can send and receive emails using Gmail so that your customers will see the emails as coming from your own domain name.
How To Create a Custom Email Address Using Your Own Domain Name
If you don’t have a webhost yet, then we recommend Bluehost, DreamHost or GreenGeeks. All are great choices and all offer a free domain along with their secure and affordable web hosting services. If you have more specific needs, then take a look at out full list of best web hosts here.
One benefit of purchasing a domain name and web hosting from the same provider is that you won’t have to configure nameservers or adjust your DNS settings. These settings are configured for you.
How to Make Your Own Email Address with Your Own Domain Name and Gmail
If you want your email address to be something like [email protected] instead of [email protected], then follow these steps. For this example we’re looking at Bluehost, but the process is similar with other web-hosting providers discussed further down the page.
- Log in to your Bluehost. From the side navigation of the Bluehost dashboard, click the Email and Office tab.
- Select Google Workspace as your email provider.
- You have the freedom to choose your desired business’ email address based on your own domain.
- Fill out the necessary information about your business.
- Set the number of users and click add to cart.
After following these steps you should have a custom email from Gmail.
Bluehost cPanel Email Settings
Let’s go back to cPanel and find your email settings.
- Go back to the home page, click the Advanced tab from the side navigation menu to the left.
- Under the Email section, click the Email Accounts icon.
- Click the Create button.
- Under Domain, choose the specific domain where you would like to create an email account.
- In the Username text box, type the user you would like to use.
- In the Password text box, type the password you would like for this email account.
- The Password Strength Meter will tell if the password you have entered is strong enough. We highly recommend you use a strong password.
- The Mailbox quota (optional) text box is used to specify the amount of your overall hosting storage allocated for that specific email account. The default that should be listed is 500 MB. You can increase or decrease this number as you desire, depending on the hosting package that you currently have.
- Once the User, Password, and Quota are all accurate, click the Create button.
You’ll need to have these settings in front of you to be able to configure Gmail to send and receive emails (later step)
How To Send and Receive Emails Using Your Custom Email With Gmail
Gmail (Google Mail) is awesome and it’s free. You get 15GB of storage and access to Google Drive which is cloud storage for your photos and files. You’ll also get access to Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and more. With these tools, you’ll be able to create and share documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. All of these fully integrate with Gmail and can be used with your custom email.
You can also log in to multiple Gmail accounts at once (meaning you can easily toggle between your personal and business email inboxes). Sign up here to Create Your Google Account.
How to Add Email Forwarding
You do not have to set up a forwarder from your domain email address to your Gmail address but it should provide faster delivery of new mail to Gmail. Before you configure Gmail, you should create an email forwarder.
Return to the cPanel and create an email forwarder from your custom domain email address to your Gmail address.
- Under the Email & Office tab, find the Forwarders section.
- Click the ▼ icon underneath the Manage, then choose the preferred domain from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Click the Add Domain Forwarder button.
Now all emails to [email protected] will be forwarded to your Gmail account.
Note that Google also offers Google Workspace — a paid suite of business tools that includes Gmail. Google Workspace offers several business advantages — especially collaborative working and organization. We discuss this below in the FAQ.
How To Receive Emails in Gmail
- Login to your Gmail Account.
- In the top right-hand corner, open the Settings by clicking the Gear icon in the top left-hand corner, then click See all settings.
- Click Accounts and Import
- Scroll down, and under the Check mail from other accounts section, click Add a mail account.
5. Enter your Email address, e.g. [email protected]
6. Click the Next Step button.
Refer to the cPanel email settings you made a note of before
7. Enter your full email address as the Username
8. Enter Password for your email account
9. Enter the incoming POP Server. Choose the Always use a secure connection (SSL) option. Make sure the port is changed to 995
10. Choose any additional options you may want
11. Click the Add Account button.
How To Send Emails in Gmail
- Choose ” Yes, I want to be able to send mail as e.g. [email protected]”
- In general, you should leave “Treat as an alias” checked. This is the setup when you have all your email coming to the same Gmail inbox. If you want to send email on behalf of another account, then untick it. This would be the case when you have several accounts that you log into separately. Unchecking this box allows you to respond to email from an account that you are not currently logged into.
- Click the Next Step button.
Refer to the cPanel email settings you made a note of before
4. Enter the outgoing SMTP Server
5. Enter your full email address as the Username
6. Enter Password for your email account
7. Choose Secured connection using SSL. Make sure the port is changed to 465
8. Click Add Account
9. Verify your email address
10. Because we setup email forwarding before, a confirmation email will be sent to your Gmail
11. Click the confirmation link in the email or copy/paste the PIN
12. All done! You can now send and receive emails using Gmail
Email Hosting Alternatives
With DreamHost, their custom control panel is easily navigable to help you come up with your professional email address relative to your domain name. If your plan includes email hosting, you are eligible to sign up for email.
Here’s how to start:
- On the left of your DreamHost control panel, you’ll see a tab called Email.
- Click on it, and select the Manage email option.
- On the next screen, look for the button that says Create New Email Address.
- Fill out the fields with your personal or business information and select your email address and the domain you want to use with it.
All of Dreamhost’s email plans support mailboxes of up to 25 GB, so you’re set if you need more space. DreamHost sets the default storage to 200 MB, which is more than enough if you clean your inbox from time to time.
Likewise, when you set up a website with GreenGeeks, you can create professional email addresses using your domain. Instead of sharing a gmail.com account, you can have a website with a corresponding email address at yourdomain.com.
Using cPanel makes the process easy.
- In the “Email” section, click the “Email Accounts” link or icon.
- On the next screen, enter the information for the email address.
- Then you can customize the storage you need. (Keep in mind – If you exceed in storage space, incoming mail bounces back to the sender.)
- On the bottom part of the screen, ignore the checked part with the Send a welcome email with instructions to set up a mail client and put a checkmark to the Stay on this page after I click Create box if you are creating multiple email accounts.
- Last, click the ‘Create’ button.
After the account is created, you will be redirected to the “List Email Accounts” page. You will receive a configuration email after creating your account. GreenGeeks allows you to access the welcome email from webmail clients. This lets you see the message before using a traditional email application.
The A2 Hosting plan allows you to create, modify, and connect your custom email address. To start with creating your professional email address:
- Go to the EMAIL section of their cPanel home screen, click Email Accounts.
- Then, click Create, and from the Domain menu, select the domain where you want to create the email account. If you have multiple domains and your desired domain does not appear in the menu, click Manage Subdomains or Manage Aliases to check your account’s domain configuration.
- Enter a new email address in the Username text box.
- Select one of the following options for the password: Select Set password now, and type a password in the Password text box. For more security, you can opt to check the Send log-in link to an alternate email address, and cPanel sends a message with login information to the specified email address.
- The next step is customizing the Optional Settings: Click Edit Settings and in the Storage Space section and enter a custom mailbox quota storage size, or select Unlimited.
- According to your preference, you can select Automatically Create Folders or select Send a welcome email with instructions to set up a mail client check box.
- After this, check the Stay on this page after I click Create to create another email account after you create this one. Alternatively, click Create to create the account and return to the Email Accounts page.
You now have a custom email address to communicate with your clients.
For Hostinger, all of its web hosting plans include email accounts by default. It also offers email hosting services such as its Business and Enterprise plan that comes with a one-click import feature for migrating your old email hosting account to Hostinger. With these services, users get dedicated resources to create and manage professional email accounts.
To create your custom email address and use Hostinger’s various email services:
- Start in the hPanel dashboard.
- Go to ‘Emails’ and then, click ‘Email Accounts’.
- From there, click Add new email account.
- Fill out the username and password and click the Create button.
- Your new email address will automatically appear under the Manage Email Accounts section once it’s successfully created.
- Repeat the same steps to add another professional email address.
Any email address you’ve created through Hostinger is accessible via the webmail that allows you to read, compose, send, and receive emails using your desktop or mobile device.
Recap: Using Gmail To Create an Email With Your Domain
Build professional-looking email addresses with Gmail and your domain. We recommend BlueHost to help you easily set your Gmail and create an email with your domain.
By following the steps above, you can create a custom email address using your own domain name. They will guide you through navigating the BlueHost dashboard to create a custom email address for your business.
Remember that by clicking the Email and Office on the side left navigation, you can easily find the right options to set up your custom email address.
The Advanced tab can bring you to the email settings that can help you connect your custom email address to your Gmail account and it allows you to appropriate your email settings to your business needs
You can also follow the steps above to connect this email address to a free Gmail account so you can both send and receive emails from Google’s email solution.
Top Five Email Hosting Platforms
Business email providers offer server space to businesses that need email hosting. If your business owns a domain name and needs a professional email address to match, signing up for email hosting is a wise choice.
Business email hosting typically includes a wide range of useful features for productivity, marketing, scheduling, and collaborating with employees or colleagues. Our rankings focus on providers who offer exactly that, giving insight into which options are worthwhile among the countless services out there.
Bluehost is a large website host well-known in the industry for its WordPress expertise. It is also popular for its variety of “one-stop-shop” solutions and services, as well as bargain prices. Bluehost currently powers over 2 million sites worldwide, mainly out of its huge data center in Utah. Also, the company offers almost every website hosting service that you might possibly need, such as advanced hosting like VPS, managed WordPress hosting and dedicated server.
Besides offering a complete range of website hosting services, the company provides SEO services, marketing training, social media marketing, graphic design services, and content creation.
Bluehost also has an advanced and reliable WordPress hosting category called WP Pro. Note that WP Pro is available in 3 tiers. It is an excellent managed WordPress offering that gives your website back end the coveted white-glove treatment and also includes amazing social media, SEO, and email marketing tools. And WP Pro’s 3 plans (Grow, Build, and Scale) all feature unlimited website hosting, domains, monthly data transfers, and storage, which is great.
Pros and Cons of Bluehost Managed Hosting Services
Bluehost is an incredibly reliable hosting provider that has strong customer service, offers uptime, and great value for money. So, if you are looking to host your WordPress website, this is one of the best providers for you.
- Solid uptime
- Generous storage
- Prices are above average
DreamHost prides itself on being a reliable and award-winning WordPress hosting provider. Given that Dreamhost hosts more than 1.6 million websites for over 400,000 members, and they are one of only 4 website hosting services that WordPress endorses, the company has good reason to be proud.
DreamHost’s managed hosting services provide a slew of options for webmasters looking to develop attractive and flexible websites. DreamHost is ideal for WordPress hosting, with its managed, shared, and other options. Keep in mind that Shared WordPress hosting is DreamHost’s standard shared plan. While there is an option that allows you to pre-install WordPress as well as a template-based and convenient WordPress Website Builder, otherwise it is just normal shared hosting.
Pros and Cons of Nexcess Managed Hosting Services
- Good value
- Consistent Performance
- No telephone support
|Starting Price||Shared/WordPress Basic
Hostinger offers a wide variety of hosting plans, including shared, cloud, email, and VPS hosting. Windows users can choose from four Windows VPS options, all of which come with a 30-day money-back guarantee and 24/7 customer support. Windows VPS 1 starts at $26 per month, and includes 2 GB RAM, 50 GB storage, and 4 TB bandwidth. VPS 2 starts at $62 per month and increases the specs to 4 GB RAM, 100 GB storage, and 5 TB bandwidth. Options 3 and 4 offer even more bandwidth and storage, maxing out at $250 per month.
You’ll also get a dedicated IP address, full root user access with SSH control, and Windows Server 2012 layout. Hostinger supports high-level data backup management, an easy-to-use VPS control panel, and applications in ASP, .NET, VB, and other programming languages. Other useful tools include a domain name checker to help you find a new domain and a drag-and-drop website builder with professionally-created templates.
Pros & Cons of Hostinger Web Hosting
Hostinger offers everything from cloud and VPS hosting to Minecraft hosting, so they’re a pretty well-rounded hosting provider. They don’t offer Windows servers for all options, though, so they may not be the right fit for all users. Their Power store makes it easy to add on additional features, such as Cloudflare protection, G Suite, and business email, but customer support is limited to live chat — no phone or ticketing system.
- G Suite and email integrations
- Great Windows VPS options
- Support via live chat only
- No shared Windows servers
What Customers Are Saying
Users say that Hostinger offers good value for the price: “They are reliable and patient. Even when it is a problem on my end, they help me out.” Another says, “Considering the cheap price, it is a great deal. They offer so many features even on their cheapest plan.”
GreenGeeks prides itself as an eco-friendly web hosting service. It was started by experts with plenty of experience in the industry, and it offers unlimited bandwidth and an impressive 99.99% uptime. Plans start at $2.49 a month for Lite, which includes one website, 50 GB storage, a free domain name for the first year, and a free wildcard SSL. The Lite plan is for customers who are just getting started with web hosting.
The Pro and Premium are more powerful plans for clients who need the upgrades. These plans run $4.95 or $8.95 per month respectively and come with unlimited websites and additional features, such as a free dedicated IP in the case of Premium. GreenGeeks’ pricing comparison page also notes you’ll get increased RAM access, CPU cores, Inodes, and more with the Pro and Premium plans.
Pros & Cons of GreenGeeks Web Hosting
- Solid uptime
- Generous storage
- Prices are above average
What Customers Are Saying
In addition to its low prices and environmentally friendly green match program, customers are highly praised for the GreenGeeks setup process powered by Softaculous. Softaculous makes it easy to install various applications, including WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla, after getting started with your GreenGeeks subscription.
GoDaddy offers Windows hosting for ASP.NET, .Net Core, and SQL server users, with an easy-to-use Onyx Plesk control panel and one-click install of WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla. You’ll also get 200 MB MSSQL database storage and DDoS protection. The Economy plan starts at $5.99 per month, and includes 100 GB storage for a single website, plus unmetered bandwidth. The Deluxe plan supports unlimited websites and storage for $7.99 per month, while Ultimate includes an SSL certificate and additional features for $12.99 per month. All plans come with a free domain name and a free year of Office 365 email, while website backups cost an extra $2.99 per month. GoDaddy provides 24/7 security monitoring, as well as 24/7 customer support. If you subscribe to an annual plan, you’ll get a 30-day money-back guarantee, but monthly subscribers only have 48 hours to request a full refund. GoDaddy also offers Linux hosting and managed WordPress hosting with an integrated website builder.
Pros & Cons of GoDaddy Web Hosting
GoDaddy’s hosting plans can accommodate everyone from experienced developers to small businesses looking to host their first website. You’ll even get Office 365 Email for free for your first year. Some important features cost extra through, such as automatic backups, and you can expect to pay higher rates when you renew your plan.
- 24/7 customer support
- Microsoft integrations
- Backups cost more
- Higher renewal rates
What Customers Are Saying One customer was happy with GoDaddy’s “reliable servers, competitive pricing, and excellent customer service, personalized to my business.” Another says, “GoDaddy’s Pro program is a must-have for any web designer/developer, as it makes it incredibly easy to handle all the logistics around clients’ accounts.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Creating Your Own Email with Gmail + Any Domain Name
Is Google Workspace Worth Paying For?
You certainly don’t need to pay for Google Workspace when you start out because all the tools you will need are provided for free. Eventually, however, you may want to upgrade to Google Workspace. One of the major advantages of Google Workspace is that it works well with teams; for example, administering your team with a collection of personal Gmail installs would be a nightmare. Google Workspace makes this easy.
Google Workspace offers several other advantages such as 24/7 technical support, integrated team calendars, additional storage, video conferencing, and more. As your business grows, you should consider upgrading to G Suite. The entry-level plan starts at $6 per person, per month.
One possible downside of using Google Workspace is that the global setup can be a bit intimidating with things like MX records. However, Google provides you with step-by-step instructions that are specific to your installation so this shouldn’t be a problem. And you can use the provided technical support if necessary.
Is Gmail for Business Free?
How to Make an Email Address for a Custom Domain?
What Are the Drawbacks of Using POP3 or IMAP Email?
Choosing between POP3 and IMAP depends entirely on the needs of your business. Both of them have their own downside. IMAP can be complex to maintain, this is the reason why some website hosting platforms and email programs do not support the protocol. With IMAP, the message does not remain on the local device, such as a computer, it remains on the server. And, it is only available when connected and is not available when offline.
POP3 will connect and attempt to keep the mail located on the local device (computer or mobile). This can be a drawback for your emails can be easily manipulated in which device they are saved. However, POP3 may be better if you are unsure about the security of your website’s server and if you’re using multiple devices to access your emails. On the other hand, IMAP is the best choice if you’re just using one device to communicate with your customers.
Can I Use Gmail with my Own Domain for Free?