Bottom line: ConvertKit is one of the fastest email marketing tools on the market, and with good reason – it offers e-commerce listing support, webpage creation capabilities, and an extensive range of templated automation and integrations to get your business running. Read more in our ConvertKit email marketing software review.
Who should choose ConvertKit? Small and midsized businesses up to large-scale enterprises. Everyone can benefit from the simplistic nature and sophisticated experience that ConvertKit provides.
What we like about ConvertKit
- Comprehensive scope: ConvertKit is much more than an email marketing tool. You can also create landing pages, automations, and sign-up forms to build your brand authority in minutes.
- Startup commerce support: If you’re unsure how to launch your e-shop, you can use ConvertKit’s commerce support functionality and create e-commerce landing pages as you grow and scale.
- Robust integration opportunities: ConvertKit connects and integrates with some of the top names in e-commerce, giving you an effortless onboarding and execution experience.
- Sandbox automation tools: Whether you’re new to automation or a seasoned pro, you’ll appreciate the comprehensive and easy-to-use nature of the native automation manager inside the ConvertKit platform.
What fell flat
- Limited customization options: If you’re looking for one-of-a-kind or customization-heavy emails, ConvertKit may not be for you. While its library is extensive, users have reported less overall range of design and ability compared to other tools.
- Limited free version inclusions: ConvertKit may not be the best choice for those looking for a robust, free tool. You can only truly unlock the benefits (such as more nuanced features, reporting, and customization options) with paid plans, which begin at $15 per month.
ConvertKit’s Editorial Review
It features a user-friendly interface, effortless integration, and five-star support. But users report frustration with limited tracking, A/B testing, and customization for more nuanced brands.
ConvertKit offers comprehensive benefits to e-commerce business owners, its easy-to-use, and it has a templated automation library.
“One of my favorite features from ConvertKit is its tagging feature, which allows you to segment your audiences deeply. It’s especially helpful if you sell different types of products so you can create personalized emails.”
Amy Nichol Smith, Content Marketing Manager
Plans and Pricing
ConvertKit offers a range of plan types that incrementally increase depending on how many subscribers are associated with your account.
- Free plan
- Good for: New businesses, small business owners, basic email functionality
- Creator plan (plan price through 500,000 subscribers: $15 to $2,299 per month)
- Good for: SMBs, rapidly scaling brands, email and automation functionality, global brands
- Creator Pro plan (plan price through 400,000 subscribers maximum: $29 to $2,599 per month)
- Good for: Midsize brands, rapidly scaling e-commerce businesses
ConvertKit’s free plan is good for up to 300 subscribers. After that, you’ll need to upgrade to a paid plan starting at $9 per month. All of ConverKit’s plans offer unlimited landing pages, forms, and broadcasts, along with audience tagging and segmentation and the ability to sell digital products and subscriptions.
If you’re looking for an enterprise solution on the Creator or Creator Pro plan that exceeds the 500,000 and 400,000 price cap (respectively), the site prompts you to connect with a sales professional to discuss organization-specific plans. I appreciated this flexibility and service and believe global brands would, too.
Considering ConvertKit for your business? The service offers competitive pricing for SMBs, and a holistic approach to email marketing – including landing page and sign-up form creation support, automation capabilities, and a robust library of integrations to get you started.
Visual automation service and templates for easy launch
Automation is one of the hardest elements to master in an e-commerce business. However, ConvertKit offers a fantastic native tool that can limit the need for expensive developers or secondary services. The automation panel offers four core functionalities, including:
- Visual automations This center offers a variety of templates you can leverage for new releases, pitches, and lead magnets, giving you pre-built tools to save you time on back-end development. I was surprised at the range of templates available, from promotions to fundraising. Using the visually-driven editing tool, you can also start from scratch or tailor any element of the pre-built templates to your needs.
- Easy-to-use templates and simple editing process ConvertKit has a variety of well-constructed, eye-catching templates to help you quickly win over that customer click. I was able to view and edit them in the clean native editor tool, featuring simple menu-bar designs and the option to use HTML formatting for a higher level of email personalization.
- Rules and trigger dashboards Your rules dictate the functionality of your automations. With ConvertKit, I could completely manage and optimize the automation rules associated with your triggers and link them up to your favorite integrations. The interface is easy to navigate and use, allowing you to get as granular as you want with your setup.
- Real Simple Syndication (RSS) If you use search engine optimization (SEO) tools or conduct lead generation through your blog feed, include it in any outbound emails you have with your customers. RSS allows you to do just that by connecting RSS 2.0 or Atom feeds – giving your customers a direct way to connect with your blog side of the business.
Light native e-commerce support and product listings
ConvertKit isn’t just for established e-commerce businesses. If you’re new to the e-commerce space or are still in a startup phase, you can begin listing your products through the native support features in the platform. Easily create product listings, arrange payment processing services, and sell as you grow your business.
Easy-launch broadcast system for quick communications
The best way to reach your customer base quickly is with a quick email broadcast. You can set up and send your broadcast in minutes thanks to the simple-launch system from ConvertKit. I could quickly pick a template, subject, and preview line, and create their emails – sending it to their entire base or a select few subscribers.
Robust integration library for streamlined operations
One of the most competitive features of ConvertKit is its robust integration library. Integration is necessary to keep your business running as well as it can, giving your customers and team members a sleek and efficient experience with each touch point.
Some of the most appreciated integrations are with top service providers in the e-commerce space, including:
There are hundreds of options to choose from, helping you to actively automate and refine your business’s processes.
New to integrations? No problem. ConvertKit offers step-by-step connectivity instructions to help you get up and running in seconds.
Supportive customer service for business owners at all levels
While some email services offer limited customer service options, the team at ConvertKit has put customer service at the forefront of its experience. ConvertKit is focused on the customer.
Here’s how ConvertKit makes customer service a priority:
- 24/7 chat support
- Tradecraft blog support
- Live workshops
- How-to guides and documentation
- Community forum via the Creator Community
You can connect with support whenever you need it most – even on the free plan. I appreciated seeing a lack of tiered support options, as price or membership status isn’t always an indicator of the extent of help needed.
Compare ConvertKit Alternatives
See how ConvertKit compares to some of its top competitors:
Email Marketing Platform
Pricing + Basic Plan Features
- Unlimited landing pages
- Audience segmentation
- Marketing support
- Native e-commerce listing support
- Unlimited forms and broadcasts
Consider ConvertKit if:
You want a fast, easy-to-use email marketing solution with excellent customer service.
- 2,500 monthly email sends
- 500 contacts
- 1 user seat
- Email support for the first 30 days
- Pre-built email templates
- 300+ integrations
- Creative assistant
- Forms and landing pages
- Basic reporting and analytics
Consider Mailchimp if:
You want all the marketing and commerce tools you need to help you launch, build, and grow your business.
$9.99 per month
- Email templates
- Post to social media pages
- Signup forms
- Integrations with Shopify, Etsy, WooCommerce and other popular tools
- Phone and live chat support
Consider Constant Contact if:
You’re just starting your marketing campaigns or small business and have a tight marketing budget.
Frequently Asked Questions About ConvertKit
Who owns ConvertKit?
Can I use ConvertKit without a website?
You don’t need a website to use ConvertKit. Instead, e-commerce business owners can use the platform’s landing page creation services and launch their one-page websites and listings.
Can you create sales pages with ConvertKit?
Business owners can conveniently create every element of their sales funnel with ConvertKit’s inclusive offerings. Whether you’re looking for support with email campaign creation, automation, or funnel creation and refinement, you can launch successfully using ConvertKit as your main tool.
What is the purpose of ConvertKit?
CEO Nathan Barry designed ConvertKit to be an inclusive email marketing tool that supports e-commerce business owners and creators. You can enjoy automation, integration, and e-commerce support through ConvertKit’s sleek, easy-to-use interface.
How I Rated ConvertKit
I test sales and marketing tools based on the following factors:
- Sale management: Does the platform offer sales tools to help with lead management and closing deals? What are its features?
- Ease of use: Is the platform simple to set up and use?
- Customization and automation: Can you tailor the software to your business needs?
- Integrations and analytics: Does this software integrate easily with other business tools, and will its reporting features fit your needs?
- The support provided: How easy is it to get help?
- Free trial: Is a no-cost trial or demo offered?
Learn more about our review methodology.