If you know how to create websites, you’ll have many opportunities to make money in the coming years. Many people expect that the demand by both individuals and businesses for new websites or redesigns of existing websites will continue to climb. For many people in this field, the actual process of creating a site is easy and even enjoyable. The aspect of this type of work that’s challenging, however, is figuring out how much to charge.
Without looking too hard, you can find that some people charge tens of thousands of dollars to create a site, and others will make a website for $5. Most people charge somewhere in between. Figuring out how much you should charge can be a challenge, but it’s well worth the effort.
- Setting your prices is one of the hardest parts of making websites, you have to consider the preferred design of your client, the time you spend on the project, your expertise, and the costs associated with building a website such as utilities, and computer setup and more.
- A survey from Indeed found that the average base salary for a web designer in the United States is slightly more than $24 per hour. If you’re just starting out and want to get some work created to build up your portfolio, you may want to charge less. If you’re an industry expert, you can charge quite a bit more.
Find What You’re Looking For
What Skills Are Needed to Build a Website?
Today, it’s possible to create websites without actually doing any coding at all. You can do this using tools like WordPress or various website builders. These are excellent tools that allow you to get a great-looking website operational far more quickly than ever before.
With modern web design, the skill sets that are required have more to do with knowing what looks good, what encourages visitors to take actions, and other design-related skills. This isn’t to say that it’s not a good idea to learn how to do the actual programming. If you want to be a true leader in the web design industry, you need to have a good understanding of the various web-focused languages as this allows you to make the very precise changes needed for your sites to stand out.
Should You Use a Website Builder?
There’s no doubt that the easiest way to create a website today is by using a website builder. These tools and services allow you to create a custom website that looks great and performs all the functions that you need without doing any coding. While some site designers frown on using these types of tools, the reality is that they have their place in the website building industry.
If you want to make a living by building websites, you want to know how to use website builders to their full potential. Not all sites can or should be made with website builders, but the majority of sites for individuals and businesses benefit from this option. Anyone who makes websites should know the best website builders available.
How To Set Your Prices for Building Websites
Setting your prices is one of the hardest parts of making websites. Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. There are many factors that go into setting your prices when offering this type of service. Some of the most important things to look at when setting prices to include:
- Customization: You need to charge much more if you’re creating an entirely unique website for a client than you would if they want a generic WordPress page.
- Your time: This goes hand-in-hand with the customization, but the more time you spend on a project, the more it should cost. Even if you don’t charge an hourly rate, your time must be factored into your price.
- Your experience: As with any industry, the more experience you have, the more you’ll be able to charge. Make sure you’re raising your prices about once per year as you become more of an expert.
- Your costs: You should always calculate the costs associated with building a website. This includes expenses related to your utilities, computer setup, and more. You also want to include costs for things specific to the site you’re working on, such as themes, images, and more.
To give you a good idea regarding how to set your own prices, a survey from Indeed found that the average base salary for a web designer in the United States is slightly more than $24 per hour. If you’re just starting out and want to get some work created to build up your portfolio, you may want to charge less. If you’re an industry expert, you can charge quite a bit more.
Should You Charge by the Project or Hourly?
Another common question website builders have is whether they should charge by the hour or project. There are certainly benefits to both options but, it’s better to charge by the project. Charging by the project ensures both you and your client know exactly how much it’ll cost and what they’ll be getting. It also allows you to handle your budgeting much more easily.
Charging by the project also benefits you more as you gain additional experience. You’ll get faster at building websites, which effectively acts as a raise in pay. For example, if you charge $500 per website, you’ll earn $500 whether it takes you 10 hours to complete or five hours.
Increase Your Profits With Extra Services
In addition to earning money by creating websites, many people in this industry supplement their income with some extra services. For example, if you’re creating a website for a company, they’ll likely need a good hosting service as well. If you have a great reseller web hosting account, you can provide them with that hosting and earn some extra cash. You can also earn a commission from services that provide things like images, videos, marketing, and more if you refer your clients to those companies.
Common Questions Potential Clients Will Ask
While the most common question that most clients are going to ask is how much you charge, there are quite a few other frequently asked questions (FAQs). If you want to land new clients consistently, you need to be prepared to answer these types of inquiries:
- What tools do you use to build my website?
- Where will my website be hosted?
- Do you offer updates to my website?
- Will you create content for my site?
- Where can I have custom graphics designed?
- Do you provide support if I have problems?
What To Do Next
Whether you want to work for a company as a website builder, or you want to run it as your own business, it can be scary to get started. For most people, the best thing to do is to jump right in and give it a try. While you’ll undoubtedly make some mistakes at first, you’ll learn from them and improve over time. Remember, even if you set your prices incorrectly for your first few clients, you can always raise them later. As long as you’re providing people with great service, you won’t have any trouble attracting customers.
Keep on investing in yourself, e-commerce websites are now in demand, you can find free online courses to expand your knowledge about the different programming languages and use it for something profitable.