Digital.com’s Rating for WP Engine
Our Editor’s rated WP Engine 4 / 5 based on user ratings, pricing, and features offered.
WP Engine: Quick Overview
When running a business or project, outsourcing time-consuming IT tasks to professionals can save you time, money, and headaches.
That’s the principle behind WP Engine, a managed WordPress host that keeps your site secure and improves speed.
You’ll get additional features that you won’t get from most hosting providers. This includes daily backups and automatic plugin updates.
WP Engine can handle many other technical tasks for your website as well, leaving you with more time to focus on providing quality content and enhancing targeted promotions for your small business or freelance project.
Find What You’re Looking For
What Are The Pros and Cons of WP Engine?
- 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Site staging included as a standard feature.
- Automated site migration plug-in makes it easy to move your WordPress site over to WPEngine servers.
- Automatic daily backups and plug-in updates.
- Malware scanning and firewall protection included in every hosting plan.
- Unlimited monthly data transfers.
- WP Engine does not offer traditional hosting services, so you can’t register for a domain name or upload your Linux or Windows-based non-WordPress site.
- Traffic and storage are capped on every hosting plan.
- CDN integration is only included in Enterprise and Premium plans. However, this gives you the freedom of choosing your own content delivery network when using WPEngine’s lower-tier hosting plans.
What Makes WP Engine Stand Out?
One of the strongest points in favor of choosing WP Engine to host your WordPress website is its provision of staging on all plans.
This feature provides key advantages for small business owners, project websites, and freelance services sites. It’s worth a more detailed look.
What is Website Staging?
A staging site lets you create a clone of your desired website. This means that you can test plugins, themes, and custom code before any of these changes can go live.
Staging gives you a preview of changes before they go live. You can interact with the staging site, which is not public, to try out new website ideas.
Any mistakes can be rectified before they are seen by potential customers or clients. This can spare a company the embarrassment of botched launches.
The staging that WP Engine offers is “one-click staging.” This means all you have to do is click a button in the hosting control panel and your staging site will be created instantly.
When it comes to hosting a WordPress site there are many shared hosting options available. However, there are important, key benefits to using WordPress-specific hosting such as WP Engine’s.
Here are some of the reasons why using WordPress-specific hosting may be beneficial for your business.
- Security: WordPress security issues are patched quickly
- Speed: Scaling can be up to 10x faster
- Support: WordPress-specific support options
- Tools: WordPress-specific tools
- A Staging environment: Spot mistakes before your customers do
WP Engine is a premium managed hosting service that promises:
- Stunning speed
- Powerful security, and
- Best-in-class customer service.
This managed hosting is designed to deliver an optimal experience for WordPress websites.
WP Engine delivers innovation-driven technology that:
- Secures your WordPress site
- Optimizes server settings for faster load times
- Performs daily backups, and
- Automatically updates your WP plugins.
You’ll get free site migration and daily backups, CDN (content delivery network) integration, a staging environment, built-in or third-party supported SSL certificate plus heaps more. They also offer a generous 60-day money-back guarantee
WP Engine’s cheapest managed WordPress hosting plan is $35.00 per month.
WP Engine Hosting Types
WP Engine has four shared hosting plans plus an option for a custom plan. The number of allowed WordPress installations, storage, and traffic capacity varies across all the available hosting plans.
- For instance, the Startup plan supports one WordPress site, comes with 10GB of storage, and can handle 25,000 monthly visitors.
- As of January 22, 2020 you can install up to 10 WordPress sites on the Growth managed hosting plan. This plan includes 20GB of storage and support for 100,000 monthly visitors.
- And the Scale plan can manage 30 or more WordPress installations plus you’ll get 30GB of storage. It’s perfect if your site receives 100,000 – 400,000 visits every month.
- For high traffic sites, WP Engine offers the Premium and Enterprise plans. The Premium plan runs on a dedicated server environment and the Enterprise plan runs on dedicated clusters. They can handle millions of monthly visitors and you can use them to manage more than 150 WordPress installations. Storage ranges between 100 GB to 1 TB for both plans.
Other exclusive services on the higher tier WP Engine managed WordPress hosting plans include launch readiness assessment and strategic account management.
In addition to the features mentioned above, all WP Engine managed WordPress hosting plans come with a number of standard features. For example, unlimited data transfers come as a standard feature.
The same applies to WP Engine’s proprietary EverCache technology, which eliminates the need for third-party cache plug-ins.
WP Engine Plans and Prices
Managed WordPress hosting from WP Engine comes in a variety of plans for every website size and needs. Here below is an overview of their plans and current price list. For the latest and most up to date prices visit WP Engine’s website.
|Plan name||Diskspace||Bandwidth||Monthly price|
|Startup Plan||10 GB||25K visits/mo||30.00|
|Growth Plan||20 GB||100K visits/mo||115.00|
|Scale Plan||30 GB||400K visits/mo||290.00|
|Premium Plan||300 GB - 1 TB||Millions visits/mo||Price on Request|
|Enterprise Plan||300 GB - 1 TB||Millions visits/mo||Price on Request|
WP Engine Hosting Plan Features
Going with managed WordPress hosting can save you the headaches of handling technical details.
Small business owners with WordPress sites — or those building one — will want to check out these specific WP Engine benefits and features:
- A platform that scales with your traffic.
- All plugins and core updates are managed for you.
- Reliable architecture providing 99% uptime.
- Direct onboarding support – no going it alone.
- A launch readiness assessment for any new site you’re developing.
- WP Engine will partner with you in resolving any issues that arise.
- Resources to improve your search engine optimization (SEO), bounce rate, and conversion rate.
- A vetted concierge service connecting you with theme providers, website developers, and marketing agencies.
- A partnership with Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform. WPE has optimized both for WordPress. The benefit to you: top website speeds.
- Actionable data to improve your results
- A live chat response time that is under 3 minutes on average
Who is WP Engine Hosting For?
This quick overview shows a summary of what WP Engine offers three customer segments: small business owners, web developers, and WordPress users in general.
|SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS||WEB DEVELOPERS||ALL WORDPRESS USERS|
|Use WP Engine’s GeoTarget to deliver custom content and actions based on a user’s location.||One-click staging||Fast, scalable, secure hosting via Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, proprietary EverCache system, and global CDN.|
|Marketing analytics.||Dev, Stage Prod Environments||24/7 access to WP experts.|
|Ability to scale up fast.||SSH Gateway||Free site migrations.|
|Pre-launch site review.||Git & SFTP integration||35+ StudioPress themes included in all plans.|
|Free site migrations.|
Let’s break down the top features of WP Engine.
Site Staging: The Best Way to Test Changes to Your Site
Unlike Pagely and SiteGround — hosts that provide site staging only in higher-tier accounts — WPEngine offers this feature in every hosting plan.
Site staging allows you to create a clone of your live site so you can tweak the layout, test new themes, and plug-ins before applying them to your website.
WP Engine does not offer traditional web hosting like InMotion, so it’s not possible to upload your Windows-based or Linux non-WordPress site. The upside is that WordPress comes already installed so you won’t have to install anything other than additional plug-ins.
How Do I Migrate My Website to WP Engine?
If you have a pre-existing WordPress website, you can easily move it to WP Engine servers at no additional cost.
WP Engine has an entire section on their website that takes you through the migration process step-by-step with videos, simple instructions, and snapshots.
They even have a Migration Plug-in that automates the entire process.
Once you’re inside the WP Engine portal, there’s a Migration Checklist as well, which provides guided navigation through the entire process.
The best part is that you can contact support in case you need one-on-one assistance to have your WordPress site moved.
How Is WP Engine Performance and Uptime?
Whether you’re hosting a blog, online store, or professional website, WP Engine will serve your content very quickly to your end-users.
Will My Site Load Quickly?
To ensure the best performance when it comes to site speed, the company optimizes page load with its proprietary WordPress-specific EverCache system.
Yes, You’ll Get a CDN
All plans include a global CDN (content delivery network). The CDN will help your site load fast for customers around the world by serving it to them from the network node that’s geographically closest to them.
WP Engine achieves over 99% uptime thanks to its world-class network infrastructure.
The company also has three data centers in London, Tokyo, and Midwest USA.
As a result, you can get better site speeds by choosing to host your website on servers that are closest to your target audience.
How Does WP Engine Keep Your Site Secure?
An estimated 78% of hacked sites are WordPress sites, according to Sucuri, a web security firm. Frequently the “open doors” are plugins that weren’t updated.
Securing websites is one of the strong suits of WP Engine’s managed WordPress hosting service.
The company takes several measures to safeguard WordPress sites:
- WP Engine runs daily malware/virus scans in partnership with Sucuri.
- They monitor an updated firewall to block the latest threats.
- All plans come with automated SSL certificates included. (If you prefer to import an SSL certificate, you can do that on any plan above the Startup level. )
- All sites are backed up daily
- You get a one-click restore function that can help you recover your website in case of an attack.
- The WP Engine site provides a guide on “Tips to Protect Your WordPress Site From Being Hacked.”
- You’ll have access to 24/7/365 technical support for any questions regarding security.
- They provide webinars on security.
- They publish security guidelines and checklists for developers and engineers.
- If your site gets hacked, WPE will clean it for free.
Does WP Engine Handle Site Backups?
WP Engine provides nightly backup for your website. This means you can restore previous versions of your WordPress site whenever the need arises. They offer assistance if you have any questions or concerns about their service backups or any other aspect of your WordPress site.
You can use the tabs in Settings to create automated backups and connect to many different cloud storage options to save your backup files. You can select Backup Now on the Settings page to create your first backup. You can also manually back up your website with a plugin. WP Engine offers several free plugins available that can help you do that, the Updraft Plus WordPress Backup Plugin is equipped to keep your files and database safe in case of unfortunate circumstances.
How Is WP Engine Help and Support?
WP Engine’s online help center has plenty of support documentation that can help you learn more about the platform.
WP Engine provides webinars, guides, blog posts, updates, tutorials, and a knowledge base. With these you can learn how to:
- Launch your first site
- Troubleshoot common problems
- Make improvements to your website
- Manage your hosting account with greater efficiency.
Both beginners and experienced WordPress website owners will find the support documentation invaluable.
How to Get Direct Customer Support
Live chat service is available from 6 am to 8 pm CT for those who want instant access to support.
By Phone: WP Engine operates a toll-free phone number as well, which remains operational during business hours from 9 am to 6 pm CST.
By Email: On the plus side, email ticketing support is available 24 hours a day.
Why is WP Engine’s Customer Support Different?
One of the best things about the WP Engine is that their support technicians have WordPress expertise, so they can provide WordPress-specific support for your business.
This sets WP Engine apart from competitors such as GoDaddy, who don’t provide WordPress-specific support.
Benefits of WordPress-Specific Support
Here are some ways your small business may benefit from a support team trained specifically in WordPress:
- Installing updates
- Plugin configuration
- Plugin compatibility issues
- WordPress page loading issues
- WordPress Page speed problems
WP Engine’s 60-Day Guarantee
WP Engine’s 60-day money-back guarantee on all subscription fees is unique in the hosting industry.
It enables you to try out the service in a risk-free way.
Note: this option is not available on custom hosting plans.
How Does the WP Engine Guarantee Work?
If you decide that WP Engine isn’t right for your business and would like to reclaim your subscription fees as part of the 60-day guarantee scheme then the process is pretty simple.
Here are the steps you need to carry out:
- Download backups
- Login to User Portal
- Click on ‘My Account’ button
- Click on the ‘Cancel Account’ button
- Select cancellation reason and enter a comment
- Your account is now canceled
First off, it’s important to download backups for any installations you’ve made on your account. In order to do this, you need to visit the backups page of each install. From there you can find the download feature which includes the entire database and every file connected to the installation.
Login to User Portal
From there, simply login to the User Portal using your usual login username and password. Please only proceed if you are the owner of the account.
The Cancellation Process
Click on the ‘My Account’ tab before clicking on the ‘Cancel Account’ button. Please note that you will only be able to do this if you are the owner of the account.
Now, simply select the reason for cancellation and enter any comments into the suggestion box.
Congratulations, your account is now canceled and you will receive a refund of your subscription fees as part of the 60-day guarantee.
What Are Some Good Alternatives to WP Engine?
Best WP Engine alternatives
WP Engine offers basic level managed WordPress Hosting and a few extra features like site staging, loading content based on GeoIP, and strategic account management.
The company’s visitor and data caps, as well as lack of traditional hosting services like domains and emails, keep it focused solely on WordPress, which is what they’re experts in.
This makes WP Engine a better option than other shared hosting providers. If you’re on the hunt for a more robust WordPress hosting experience, WP Engine is worth considering.
Who Is WP Engine the Company?
WP Engine was founded by Jason Cohen, Ben Metcalfe and Cullen Wilson in 2010. The company’s headquarters are located in Austin, in Texas, in the United States.
WP Engine is a privately held company. It runs a world-class network infrastructure. The company also has three data centers; in London, Tokyo, and in Midwest of the United States.
WP Engine is a premium managed hosting service for websites built with WordPress. The company specializes exclusively in WordPress and WP Engine is a large-scale, highly-managed hosting service with more than 500,000 customers in 120 countries.
Frequently Asked Questions About WP Engine
What makes managed WordPress hosting better than ordinary Shared or VPS Hosting?
Do WP Engine hosting plans include a CDN?
Can I manage multiple WordPress sites on one account?
What is a staging environment?
Does WP Engine provide free WordPress website transfers?
How many data centers does WP Engine have?
What measures does WP Engine take to keep my WordPress site secure?
What payment options does WP Engine provide?
Need a great web host? Want to save some time? This shortlist is your best place to begin:
- Popular Host Choice for 2022BluehostStarting at $2.75/mo View Current Deal
- SiteGroundStarting at $3.99/mo View Current Deal
- HostingerStarting at $2.99/mo View Current Deal
- WP EngineStarting at $20/mo View Current Deal
- A2 HostingStarting at $2.99/mo View Current Deal
- DreamHostStarting at $2.95/mo View Current Deal