Running a website can be a lot of fun and also very beneficial to your business. Many people have multiple different websites that they run for various things. One of the most popular trends today is for people to register their own names as a website. There are many reasons that you should consider doing this as well, so read on to learn more about this popular trend.
- Registering your name as a website allows you to maintain control over your digital identity. Having this website makes it possible for you to do many things down the road.
- You can register your legal name, a nickname, or any number of other things to meet your needs.
- It’s often smart to register your name as more than a .com. There are many other top-level domains (TLDs) that you can get as well.
Table of Contents
Why Is It Important That You Register Your Name as a Website?
While each person is going to have a different list of reasons for doing this, the following are some of the most common:
- Prepare for the future: If you ever become famous ― even locally well-known ― you want to have control over your name. Registering this domain name now is a simple and affordable way to ensure you always have control over this important piece of your digital identity.
- It’s fun: It can be a lot of fun to have your own name registered as a website. Whether you decide to blog about your life or put up some basic information, it’s something many people love.
- Protect your reputation: It’s almost inevitable that potential employers, business partners, romantic interests, and friends do a Google search on your name. If you have a website up with your name as the URL, that’s most likely going to be near the top of the search results. This allows you to have some level of control over what people find when searching for you.
- Great for SEO: You can use this site to link to your business website or other pages that are important to you, which can help to boost the web traffic of those sites.
- Central hub for your activities: You can use this website to share information about the various things you’re involved in. It can essentially serve as almost an online resume ― you can even have your resume on the page. Listing the businesses you own or work for, clubs you’re involved in, and other things can be very helpful.
There are many different reasons why registering your name as a website makes sense. In today’s modern world, having your own name registered can provide you with many important benefits.
Should You Register Different Versions of Your Name?
If possible, you want to make sure that you own at least your legal name ― first and last. If you use another name, such as Mike rather than Michael, get that website as well.
Registering multiple versions of your name costs a little more but gives you much greater control over your digital identity. In addition, when you work with a good domain name registration company, it’s very inexpensive to buy several domains.
You can have all the different versions of your name point to the same website as well, so you don’t need to make a separate page for each one.
When Should You Register Your Name as a Website?
If you want to register your name as a website, it’s best to do it as soon as possible. The longer you want the more likely someone else already has bought the domain. This is an especially common issue for people with more common names.
The benefits of owning the domain of your own name are becoming so significant that many new parents are even purchasing their child’s name as a domain when they’re born. This helps to ensure their children always own their name as a website in the future.
How To Register Your Name as a Website
Registering your name as a website is very simple and affordable. First, find a reputable domain name registration company. Once there, do a search for your name to see if it’s available as a .com website. If it is, go through its checkout process to purchase the domain.
If you want to buy multiple versions of your name, you can buy them all at once. You can also buy your name as more than just a .com option. If you choose, you can buy your name as a .com, .net, .org, and many others.
Just keep in mind that when you’re buying a domain name, you’re only buying it for a set amount of time, typically one to five years, unless you’re getting the new unstoppable domains. After that amount of time, you need to renew your purchase to retain ownership.
Where Can You Register Your Name as a Website?
There are hundreds of domain name registration companies out there from which to choose. Some great options to consider include:
You can either register your name as a website through a company that only offers domain name registration, or you can usually register it through a top-rated web hosting company.
What If Your Name Is Already Taken?
If you find that your name is already taken as a website, you have quite a few options available:
- Add your middle name to the domain if you can’t get your first and last. It’s a longer website name, but that isn’t a big problem.
- Consider getting a domain with your last name followed by your first name rather than the other way around.
- Add a prefix, such as “Mr.” or “Mrs.,” before your name in the website address.
- Register your name with a TLD other than .com. While .com addresses are the most popular, there are hundreds of other options you can consider.
- If you look at the existing website that’s using your name and it doesn’t look like it’s regularly updated, consider trying to buy it from the existing owner. You can often buy rarely used websites at very affordable prices.
- You can register a nickname or other variation of your name that people may use. Search engines are good enough to help people find your site when they’re searching for anything similar to your normal name.
What Should You Do Next?
If you want to register your name as a website, your next step is to find a trusted domain name registration company or hosting company to work with. If you’re going to publish a website on your name’s page, you need to get a web hosting account setup as well.
The easiest way for most people to do all of this is to find the best web hosting company that offers domain name registration services as well and use them. Once you buy your domain, you can publish a simple website to share with the world.