If you’re running a website for your business, you need to do everything you can to keep it running all the time. Using a good quality hosting service is one of the best things you can do to accomplish that goal.
If you believe your site is going to be getting a lot of traffic, you are going to want to make sure that you have hosting that can handle it, and that typically means getting either a virtual private server (VPS) or a dedicated server.
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of each of these options so you can pick the right one for business.
- VPS hosting is an excellent balance between shared hosting technologies and a dedicated server for those who want a more economical option.
- Dedicated servers allow you to have full control over virtually every aspect of the server, which is ideal for many situations.
- Just as important as picking the right type of hosting is picking the best hosting company to work with.
Table of Contents
What Is VPS Hosting?
With VPS hosting, your website is hosted on a server that’s shared with several other customer websites, similar to shared hosting. Unlike shared hosting, however, you are assigned exclusive access to a set amount of system resources on the server. This helps to minimize the potential impact the other sites on the server could have on yours.
In addition, since you’re given exclusive access to your virtual environment on the server, you generally have a greater level of control over how things are configured. For example, you can often choose what operating system you have, and even what type of software is installed. You can find VPS options with almost any system specs that you want, making it a great option for a wide range of different types of sites.
What Are the Advantages of VPS Hosting?
There are many benefits to going with VPS hosting over either shared hosting or dedicated servers. The following advantages make it easy to see why this is such a popular option:
- Lots of options: You can get VPS hosting with very basic system specs, or very advanced options, based on your needs.
- Affordable: While generally more expensive than shared hosting, it’s quite affordable compared to dedicated hosting.
- Upgradable: In most cases, you can add additional system resources to your account easily as your site grows.
What Are the Disadvantages of VPS Hosting?
While there’s no doubt that VPS hosting is a great option for many sites, there are some downsides to be aware of as well:
- Sharing hardware: While VPS hosting does a lot to keep your sites segmented from other sites on the server, you’re still sharing access to the same physical hardware, which can be a concern.
- Potential upgrade limits: While you can upgrade your VPS easily, you are limited based on the hardware of the server. If the hardware is all being used, your hosting company has to migrate you to a new server to upgrade, which generally isn’t a problem but something to be aware of.
- Lots of options: It’s great that you can find VPS hosting with almost any level of system specs, but it also makes it confusing if you don’t have much experience in this area. Be careful to ensure you’re getting the level of service you want at a fair price.
What Is Dedicated Server Hosting?
Dedicated server hosting is where your website is the only one running on a physical server or even multiple physical servers. This means that you can have full control of the entire server including the operating system, the versions of software, what is installed, and much more. Hosting companies offer a variety of different types of servers at different price points to meet the needs of larger websites.
What Are the Advantages of Dedicated Hosting?
Dedicated servers are a great option for certain situations, and come with some significant advantages that make it a great option for many:
- Full control: Since you aren’t sharing access to the server with anyone else, you can typically have full control over every aspect of the server, which is important in some cases.
- Powerful: Good web servers are made with commercial-grade hardware that has impressive specs so it can handle even a large amount of traffic to your website.
- Choose your specs: Most hosting companies that offer dedicated servers have multiple tiers available so you can get the level of system specs you need. Some allow you to custom-build your server.
What Are the Disadvantages of Dedicated Hosting?
While dedicated servers are widely considered to be the top-tier option for hosting, they aren’t right for everyone. The following disadvantages need to be considered before signing up for this type of hosting:
- Price: Dedicated servers are almost always going to be the most expensive option since you are using the entire server.
- Technically advanced: Running a dedicated server can be quite complicated, especially if you need configuration options that are outside the standard. You can have the hosting company manage your server for you, but that takes away some level of control.
- Single point of failure: If you have your site running on one single server and there’s a hardware problem, your site can go down. Your hosting company may not have a similar server up and ready to use, which could extend the downtime.
How To Choose the Best Hosting for Your Business
If you’re trying to decide whether a VPS or a dedicated server is going to be the best option for your hosting, it should be pretty easy to decide which option to go with. A VPS is a more popular option because it’s so much more affordable and has some significant advantages.
The main reason for wanting to go with a dedicated server is if you either need full control over the entire server or if your site is very large and gets a high amount of traffic. If your site receives thousands of visitors at the same time, you likely want to have multiple dedicated servers set up to run your page.
Choosing the right hosting technology is extremely important, but so is working with a trusted hosting company. No matter which type of hosting you choose, make sure you work with the right hosting provider.
Top 3 VPS Hosting Services
Most hosting companies offer VPS hosting, but they aren’t all of the same quality. If you want to learn more about the best VPS hosting providers in business today, read our regularly updated page on that subject. If you just want to make pick a company that you know is great, consider one of these top three options:
- Liquid Web
Top 3 Dedicated Hosting Services
Not all hosting companies offer dedicated servers, and even of those that do, not all have good quality servers available. If you’re going with dedicated servers, you almost certainly need to have a good quality server, so going with a great hosting company is essential. Read our article about the best dedicated hosting companies or choose one of these top three options:
- Liquid Web
- InMotion Hosting
- A2 Hosting
What Should You Do Next?
Once you have decided what type of hosting you want to use, and what hosting provider is going to work best for you, it’s time to set things up and make your site. Make sure to take your time and find the specific level of hosting that you need so that your site runs smoothly today and long into the future.