When setting up your company website, you want to make sure you have everything in place to enjoy a fast and stable platform for you and your customers. For many businesses, this means using WooCommerce on a managed hosting platform. Understanding what this means, as well as the pros and cons of this option, helps you to determine if it is the best solution for your company.
Read through this page to get information about key topics such as:
- What is Managed Hosting?
- What is WooCommerce?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages?
- Is Managed WooCommerce Hosting Right for You?
What is Managed Web Hosting?
Managed web hosting is when a hosting company takes on the responsibilities of managing most aspects of the hosting environment. Different web hosting companies provide different specific levels of service, but in general, you can expect a hosting company to offer all of the following when you choose managed hosting solutions:
- Hardware Management – The hosting company is fully responsible for all the hardware. If, for example, the web hosting server where your site is located has its hard drive die, they replace it and restore the data without you having to take any action.
- System Monitoring – Managed web hosting providers monitor the hosting environment for problems and react accordingly. Hosting companies typically monitor for things like excessive traffic, hackers, system utilization, and more.
- Software & OS Updates – Anytime the operating system of your web server needs updating, or the version of the database you use requires an update, the web host does it.
- Backup Services – Many managed hosting providers schedule routine data backups, so your information is always protected.
- More – In some cases, you are only responsible for managing the content on your site. The hosting company provides everything else.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a very popular plugin for WordPress. It allows businesses to turn some or all of their WordPress-based website into an e-commerce platform. It is extremely simple to use and makes it very easy to start selling products or services right from your website.
If you are looking to use your website to drive sales, this is one of the best platforms available today. In fact, WooCommerce powers an estimated 28% of all online stores, which really shows just how popular it is.
Pros of Managed WooCommerce Hosting
Managed WooCommerce hosting is a great option for most companies that want to have a sales interface on their website. Take a look at some key advantages that you will enjoy by signing up for managed hosting:
- Worry-Free Hosting – When you use managed hosting, you do not need to worry about a thing with your hosting. A top-tier hosting provider sets up and monitors the system carefully to ensure everything is working properly.
- Improved Security – Managed hosting providers keep close tabs on web security issues. They can quickly apply patches and updates to protect your site as soon as they discover a vulnerability.
- Automatic Backups – You can have automatic data backups set up to be performed by the hosting company.
- Help from Experts – If you run into any trouble with your site or your hosting, the team of experts is there to answer questions and get things working.
- Configured by Professionals – Hosting professionals configure every setting on your web server so that you will get superior performance.
These are just a handful of the biggest benefits that you get when you use managed hosting services. For most companies, these reasons will be more than enough to justify the increased costs.
Cons of Managed WooCommerce Hosting
Of course, there are some downsides to choosing this option. Understanding what potential disadvantages WooCommerce hosting has can help you decide if WooCommerce is best for your ecommerce needs.
The following are some of the most significant potential issues:
- Costs – Managed hosting of any kind is going to be more expensive than unmanaged. If you are on a very strict budget, this may be a concern. If you do some research, however, you can find some good cheap web hosting options.
- Loss of Control – You give up control over if or when to perform upgrades, what hardware is used, and other aspects of the hosting configuration.
- Limited Plugins – Some managed hosting providers will have restrictions on what plugins they support on WordPress.
These are some of the cons of managed web hosting to be aware of. They will not necessarily apply to every company in every situation, but consider them carefully to see if they impact your decision.
Is Managed WooCommerce Hosting Best for Your Business Site?
If you want to drive sales on your website, it makes sense to sign up for managed WooCommerce hosting. This allows you to focus on producing high-quality content for your site and meeting your customers’ needs while the hosting company takes care of all the back-end aspects of the site.
You will find that having a good managed hosting solution in place makes running your website much easier and stress-free.
If you already have a team of IT professionals working for your company and they are experienced with web hosting, it might be a good idea to skip the managed hosting. Since managed web hosting is more expensive than unmanaged, it may make sense to take care of the various management tasks on your own if your team knows how to do it.
This also gives you greater control over upgrades and similar things, which is nice. For most companies, however, managed hosting is going to be a much better idea.
Frequently Asked Questions About Managed WooCommerce
The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about managed WooCommerce hosting and some simple answers to help you with your research.
What is the Best Managed WooCommerce Hosting Company?
How Much Extra is Managed Hosting?
Will the Hosting Company Install WooCommerce?
Is WooCommerce Free to Use?
Is Managed WooCommerce Hosting Right for Me?
Need a great web host? Want to save some time? This shortlist is your best place to begin: