Today, many web designers use advanced programs and website builder tools that make creating sites faster and easier than ever before. Due in large part to the constantly evolving responsibilities of web designers, people have often claimed that the job of web design was becoming obsolete, and even that web design is dead in 2022.
Here, you’ll read the various reasons why some people think that web design is dead, and the truth about this important industry.
Specifically, we touch on things, such as:
- Why do people say that web design is dead?
- What impact does artificial intelligence (AI) have on web design?
- What are the latest trends for web design?
Find What You’re Looking For
Why Do People Say That Web Design Is Dead?
There are many different reasons why people believe that web design is dead or will be dying come 2022. The following are among the most commonly cited reasons:
- Templates: Many websites today rely heavily on premade templates that create the layout and other design factors for a website. These can be purchased and installed in only seconds, making the process of making a site extremely simple for many. Of course, just because these templates are made and sold separately doesn’t mean web designers aren’t involved. The designers who made the templates themselves are proof of this.
- Content management systems (CMSs): CMSs often function alongside website builders. These allow you to add and customize content for your site easily without any coding requirements. Like the website builders, however, a CMS is another tool that a web designer can use.
- AI: The advancements in AI and machine learning (ML) have helped to spur on a variety of innovations within web design. There are even AI systems that can create websites without human interaction involved at all. While these systems continue to become more advanced, the human touch is still needed for a truly customized web solution.
The fact is that while there’s no doubt that the field of web design continues to evolve and innovate, it definitely won’t fade away in 2022 or anytime in the foreseeable future. The demand for skilled web designers is only going up and that trend is likely going to continue.
Is AI Replacing Web Developers?
AI is advancing at an amazing pace. It’s going to have an impact on just about every industry imaginable, including web design. AI can create websites and complete a variety of tasks that not many years ago would require the direct effort of a human. What AI cannot do well, however, is create innovative and creative websites that properly reflect the needs of each client.
This is especially evident when it comes to creating websites for businesses. Every business has its own corporate culture, logos, and products that they’re going to want to be added to their website. When an experienced web designer creates a page, they can take all of that into account so that the result reflects their business properly. This isn’t something that AI does well, at least for now.
The one area of web design that’s threatened by AI technologies is the entry-level positions. Web designers who don’t have much experience or aren’t exceptionally skilled may lose their job opportunities to computer systems that can provide similar results. Meanwhile, top-tier web designers should look at AI as a set of tools that can be used rather than a threat to their job.
What Are the Newest Trends in Web Design for SMBs?
As proof that web design isn’t dead, you can look at some of the new and innovative trends in the industry. These trends are developed by professional web designers who can blend the latest technologies with user experience and business needs seamlessly:
- Directed web usage: One of the most exciting trends in web design is the effort that designers make toward creating a customized user experience that helps to direct their unique experience. If a website determines that one user is likely to be interested in a specific product, it’ll guide them to that part of the site. Another visitor may be guided to an entirely different area of the page based on their own factors.
- Standing out from the crowd: Using web templates has been a popular tool used on millions of websites for years. That trend is starting to fade away as web designers are helping their clients to stand out from the crowd by creating personalized websites.
- Accessibility: This is one trend that’s long overdue and almost certain to stick around long into the future. Web designers are making a conscious effort to ensure their sites are easily accessible to all potential visitors. This includes those who may be hearing or vision impaired, those who don’t speak the native language of the site, and much more. Making a site accessible to everyone is a trend that makes sense.
- Consumable information: Web designers are working on many ways to make important information easier to consume for visitors to a page. This is done using animations, infographics, soundbites, and other great tools.
Of course, new trends are always forming and old ones are being phased out. This is what makes the web design industry so exciting. It’s also one more reason why we can be certain that web design isn’t dead in 2022 nor will it be for many years to come.
Should You Be a Web Designer?
It’s easy to see that the claims of the death of web design are wildly exaggerated and should be largely dismissed. Keep this in mind if you want to become a web designer or thinking about starting a web design business. However, you need to understand that the industry is in a state of constant change.
If you know that you need to be innovating and introducing creative ideas to your work, then web design may be an ideal fit. If you like creating websites using the standard tools of today without a desire to evolve, you probably will fall behind quickly. Either way, web design will be around long into the future.