Disclosure: Our content is reader-supported, which means we earn commissions from links on Digital. Commissions do not affect our editorial evaluations or opinions.
The ideal Magento hosting environment is a complete LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL [My structured query language], and PHP [hypertext preprocessor], Perl, or Python) stack with a fast server. The best Magento hosting plan should have a dedicated IP (internet protocol) address, SSL (secure sockets layer) certificate, and CDN (content delivery network).
The Best Magento Web Hosting: Our Top Pick
We chose Nexcess as our top pick because it offers top-notch web hosting specifically for Magento websites. It sets the bar quite high, but it comes at a cost compared to the other two options below.
Digital.com dives deep into every topic it covers to offer trusted and reliable recommendations for the best business tools. See how we review Magento hosting providers.
Tips From an Expert
Magento offers a great balance of flexibility and usability.
Magento is a popular ecommerce system that offers site owners a uniquely powerful combination of flexibility and ease of use. Do you want to sell downloadable products? T-shirts from a drop shipper? Your handmade creations? Magento will work for you, regardless of your business model or the type of products you sell.
The Best Magento Web Hosting Providers of 2023
#1 Top Pick for 2023
Nexcess’ managed hosting is the gold standard for high-quality hosting. It comes with comprehensive support and plenty of resources, no matter what type of site you’re running.
$15.50+ per month
50 to 800 GB
$62+ per month
1000 GB to 10 TB
Magento was founded on the Nexcess platform and built on their servers. A popular web hosting company with nearly 25 years of experience, Nexcess has more than 500,000 websites under management and eight data centers around the world. The company is part of the Liquid Web family of hosting companies and offers a variety of different fully-managed hosting options.
If you’re looking for a professional e-commerce platform, they have both the knowledge and expertise to help you. They offer free Magento site migrations in every Nexcess plan.
Reasons to choose Nexcess
- 11-time Inc. 5000 honoree
- Native content delivery network
- Excellent customer and technical support
- Exceptional uptime and reliability
Reasons to avoid
- No unmanaged hosting options
- Customers say they’re occasionally slow to answer for phone support
- High-performance platform
- Free domain and SSL
- Excellent uptime
$34.99+ per month
210 GB to 2×2 TB
$91.99+ per month
With InMotion’s VPS hosting plans, your Magento website enjoys greater scalability. The plan also provides additional resources as your sites grow, and all without having to constantly upgrade and install PHP accelerators like APC (Alternative PHP Cache) or eAccelerator.
The resources allocated to you when you are using a VPS are yours and yours alone. This enables greater performance for your site.
Finally, if you’re not quite sold on Magento for your business, or have problems down the line, you can always switch to PrestaShop, a free e-commerce platform included for free on all InMotion plans.
All plans are cheap, fairly reliable, and have decent performance.
Reasons to choose InMotion
- cPanel control panel
- Generous 90-day money-back guarantee
- All plans include SSD or NVMe storage
- Shared, VPS, dedicated, reseller, and managed WordPress hosting
Reasons to avoid
- Priority support only with higher plans
- Account activation isn’t instant
What Customers Are Saying About InMotion HostingInMotion Hosting’s high-performance hosting, support team, features, and customer service are well-liked. Prices are fair, but can fluctuate.
- Premium support
- Outstanding speed on Turbo servers
- 30-day money back guarantee
$44.99+ per month
450 GB to 2×960 GB
$86.99+ per month
4 to 10 TB
Not everyone needs premium performance or support. If you want a budget host plan, you might like A2 Hosting.
Magento is an open-source shopping cart that enables anyone to sell anything online. A2 Hosting provides an automatic Magento installer, making the install process as easy as the click of a button.
Reasons to choose A2 Hosting
- Servers in Europe, USA, & Asia
- Unmanaged and managed plans
- SSDs or NVMe on every plan
- 24/7/365 support via phone, email, and live chat
Reasons to avoid
- Slightly more expensive than others
- Mod_perl, Plexum, HTMLDoc, PDFLib, MS SQL (Microsoft structured query language), and ColdFusion are not supported.
What Customers Are Saying About A2 HostingA2 is a reliable, affordable hosting company that has fast speeds. The customer service is generally responsive but could use more updated tutorials and documentation.
Compare Magento Hosting Providers
What You Need to Know
What is Magento?
Magento is an e-commerce platform and software application for building online stores. It is also a CMS (content management system); unlike WordPress, it specializes exclusively in e-commerce. Magento was once owned by eBay but was acquired by Adobe in 2018.
Is Magento free or open source?
Magento offers two versions, a free open-source version and a paid enterprise version. The Magento Community Edition is free and open source, while the Enterprise Edition is proprietary and subject to an annual licensing fee. Magento Enterprise pricing varies from business to business.
What is the difference between Magento Community and Enterprise?
The biggest difference between Magento CE and Magento EE (Enterprise Edition) is support. The premium version includes a high level of support that might be attractive to someone uncomfortable with open-source software’s DIY (do it yourself) nature.
Another key difference is that some additional features are available in the Enterprise Edition, which are geared toward larger, more demanding sites.
How We Review Magento Hosting Companies
We shortlisted hosts that provided one-click Magento installs and security features like SSL. Hosts were scored on uptime, speed, and quality of support. Then we picked the hosts with the highest ratings from online store owners.
We specifically looked at:
- One-click installation: If you are going to install Magento yourself (either the Community or Enterprise Edition), make sure your host supports the correct server requirements and offers a one-click installation for your convenience.
- Hosting plan: You can run Magento on a shared hosting server, a VPS, or a dedicated server. The right hosting plan for your needs will largely depend on the size of your site. The larger your store, the more resources are needed for your Magento shop to load quickly for visitors.
- Speed and efficiency: Monitor page load times from there, and if they’re still too slow, you can always upgrade to the more expensive dedicated server options.
Learn more about our review methodology.