Running an e-commerce business is a great way to make a living. When done properly, it is profitable and you grow your business to become even more successful over time. However, there’s much more to a good e-commerce business than listing products for sale.
For many people, managing the website and related activities ends up being more difficult than actually selling products. If you want to be able to focus on the core aspects of your e-commerce business better, signing up for managed hosting may be the perfect option.
- Managed web hosting is a great option for anyone who wants to be able to run a hassle-free website.
- Every hosting company can provide a different list of services they provide with its managed hosting solutions, the best hosting companies include the following things at least setup of the server, patching, and updates, backup, and restoration, monitoring of the environment, expanded technical support, load balancing and threat detection and mitigation.
- The exact cost varies greatly depending on what type of actual hosting services you need, managed hosting provides your e-commerce business with many great benefits that you cannot get from an unmanaged or self-managed solution.
5 Ways Managed Hosting Helps Your E-Commerce Business
- Rapid Server Setup
- Managed Performance Monitoring
- Improved Reliability of Your E-Commerce Platform
- Worry-free Technical Support
- Backup and Restoration Services
Managed web hosting is a great option for anyone who wants to be able to run a hassle-free website. As an e-commerce business owner, however, some of the specific benefits that come with managed web hosting are going to be especially important.
Understanding the various ways that managed hosting helps your e-commerce business succeed is important for deciding if it’s a good option for you.
Rapid Server Setup
Typically when you sign up for managed hosting, you have access to the server within minutes. This is possible because the hosting company has various servers up and ready to go waiting for new customers.
This is especially true when you’re using managed shared hosting or managed virtual private server (VPS) hosting, both of which require a new virtual environment to be set up on an existing server.
Even if you’re using a custom configured dedicated server, however, you can usually have it up and ready within days.
Managed Performance Monitoring
Managed hosting environments are monitored actively by the hosting company to ensure everything is working properly. While each hosting company is going to have its own monitoring procedures in place, you can be confident that all key components of your hosting are closely watched, including things like:
- Hardware: The hardware for your server is monitored for any signs of problems, so failing components can be replaced without causing outages.
- Software: Software performance, including both database and operating systems, is monitored for errors.
- Network bandwidth: Network performance and bandwidth are monitored. Hosting companies may use this data to recommend upgrading when your bandwidth needs increase.
Improved Reliability of Your E-Commerce Platform
Hosting companies that offer managed solutions are experts when it comes to running websites, including e-commerce websites. They know exactly what type of services you need and how they should be configured to get the performance you want.
They also make sure that they have redundant systems in place so that even if something goes wrong, it likely won’t cause a full outage. Compared to self-hosted, or even unmanaged hosting, services, you’ll experience a much more reliable environment for your website.
Worry-free Technical Support
Almost all web hosting is going to come with some level of technical support. With unmanaged hosting, however, you’ll be on your own for things like updating software and troubleshooting problems that aren’t related to hardware.
With managed hosting, you’ll have access to a much more comprehensive level of technical support. If you run into any problems with your e-commerce platform, even if they aren’t directly caused by the hosting environment, support professionals are there to assist.
Backup and Restoration Services
Almost all managed hosting services are happy to set up and manage your data backup schedule and perform restoration of data when needed.
While it’s not difficult to set up your own data backup policies, having the experts at a hosting company manage it for you is one less thing you have to worry about.
It’ll also help to ensure that it’s done properly so that you can be confident that your data is safe.
What Is Managed Hosting?
Managed hosting is a type of web hosting where the hosting company takes care of most, or even all, of the technical activities for your server.
While every hosting company can provide a different list of services they provide with its managed hosting solutions, the best hosting companies include the following things at least:
- Setup of the server: All managed hosting companies set up the physical web hosting server as well as the operating system and other supporting applications.
- Patching and updates: The hosting company performs all patching and updates for the hardware, operating system, databases, and other software.
- Backup and restoration: Most managed hosting companies set up a backup schedule and perform data restorations as needed.
- Monitoring of environment: The entire hosting environment is monitored by the team at the hosting company.
- Expanded technical support: Most managed hosting solutions include expanded technical support, including help with things like WordPress troubleshooting and more.
- Load balancing: When needed, managed hosting companies perform load balancing to keep your site optimized during times of heavy traffic.
- Threat detection and mitigation: The hosting company monitors for issues like distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, viruses, malware, and more. When detected, they can take quick action to mitigate the threats.
There are many other services that managed hosting providers offer. As an e-commerce business owner, you want to make sure that you’re taking full advantage of the services provided so that you can focus on other key aspects of your business, such as acquiring products, driving traffic, generating sales, and shipping products.
Choosing the Best Managed Hosting for Your E-Commerce Business
You should take the time to look at the various services offered and the reputation of the companies you’re considering. Taking this time to research helps you to make the right choice.
You can also review our comprehensive ranking of the best managed hosting services available. We evaluate new and existing hosting providers constantly and update our rankings so that you always have the best information available.
Whether you’re getting started as an e-commerce business owner or you have been running your business for a long time, you want to make sure you have the right managed hosting provider.
How Much Does Managed Hosting Cost?
For an entry-level managed hosting service, you can expect to pay around $10 per month. As you move up to higher-level hosting options, the prices go up from there.
The exact cost varies greatly depending on what type of actual hosting services you need. As with unmanaged hosting, you’ll pay more each month for things like VPS or dedicated servers than you would for a shared hosting package.
Managed hosting provides your e-commerce business with many great benefits that you cannot get from an unmanaged or self-managed solution. These extra features do mean that you’ll have to pay more for managed hosting than unmanaged, which shouldn’t be surprising.
What’s surprising to many people, however, is that the costs are still quite affordable in most cases.
What To Do Next If You Want Managed Hosting for Your E-Commerce Business
Once you decide that managed hosting services are the right option for your e-commerce business, you’ll want to decide which hosting company is going to be best for you.
Most of the top hosting companies in business today offer managed hosting options, so start by narrowing down your search to the best overall hosting providers for e-commerce sites.
Once you have chosen which company you want to work with, go through the various managed hosting options they have and pick out the package that’ll meet your specific needs. If you aren’t sure what hosting features you need, don’t hesitate to reach out to their sales or technical support team.
They’ll be happy to go over your options and help you to choose the right hosting for your business.