Running an affiliate marketing website is a great way to generate a consistent stream of passive income that can help cover the cost of your essentials or even fund your other projects and passions. Getting started with affiliate marketing requires some start-up expenses and a vision and understanding of what it takes to build an effective affiliate marketing website.
This guide will help you learn what it takes to build an affiliate marketing website by answering the following questions:
- What Is Affiliate Marketing?
- How Do I Create An Affiliate Marketing Website?
- How Do I Generate Traffic For My Site?
- Which Website Builders Are Best for Affiliate Marketing?
- How Much Will It Cost To Build an Affiliate Marketing Website?
- Should I Take Courses To Create an Affiliate Marketing Program?
What Is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is the process of referring people to a product or service in exchange for a commission. You can think of it as operating a curated storefront: you find products from businesses and creators that you believe your audience may like. When you direct a person to a product that they decide to buy, you get a percentage of the sale as a reward.
Affiliate marketing is a great way to capitalize off your online following, people who trust and are curious about your recommendations. It is also a great option if you have a particular area of expertise that you feel comfortable making recommendations about products and services in a specific category.
How Do I Create An Affiliate Marketing Website?
Setting up an affiliate marketing website is relatively simple, though it will take a little bit of work. Here are some quick steps on how to get started with your affiliate marketing website:
- Pick a niche: The best way to get started with affiliate marketing is by finding an area that is underserved or that you feel like you have a good understanding of so you can provide good content and recommendations. Going with a broader category gives you more opportunities to convert people but dilutes your selection a bit and may reach beyond your area of expertise. Find a niche that you feel is not being served properly so that you can fill the void.
- Select an affiliate program: An affiliate program is an agreement that a vendor provides to pay you for each customer you direct to them. The most common affiliate program is Amazon Affiliates. However, you may be able to find alternatives that better serve your chosen niche, like eBay Partnership Program or Overstock Affiliate Program.
- Pick a domain name and web host:To set up your affiliate website, you’re going to need to build the actual site. That means securing a domain name and setting up a service with a web host. There are lots of options out there for this. Check out Digital.com’s guides for selecting the best web host and generating the best domain name.
- Build your site: Once you’ve secured your domain name and the necessary hosting for it, you can start building your website. This process can be challenging if you don’t have lots of experience with it, but there are tools that will help you get started. Check out Digital.com’s guide to picking the best website builder for your project. Focus on options that provide SEO tools and ecommerce support.
How Do I Generate Traffic For My Site?
Getting people to your affiliate marketing site is important, as each visitor is a potential customer who can generate revenue for you. There are several ways to increase the traffic to your site. You’ll want to implement as many of these techniques as possible in order to maximize your potential traffic.
- Publish the related content: One of the best ways to generate traffic for your website is by generating content related to the niche that you selected. Articles get picked up and indexed by Google, and using search engine optimization (SEO) techniques can help to push your content high up in the search results, leading to more people clicking through to your site. Publishing quality content on a consistent schedule will help to bring in more visitors, who may become customers.
- Get email subscribers: One of the best ways to attract potential customers is by reaching them in their inboxes. Collect emails by creating options for visitors to subscribe to your site. Most sites have tools for creating newsletter sign-ups. The more people you can contact directly, the better your odds of selling your products to them.
- Spread the word on social media: A strong social media presence is a great way to convert followers into website visitors and eventually into customers. Building a social media presence with an audience that trusts and respects you is a great way to show off your expertise and share your content, which can lead to more sales of products.
- Buy ads: Another way to get your site seen is by purchasing ads. Ads get your site seen in search results, on related websites, and on social media platforms. Set a budget and pick a targeted audience that is likely to be interested in your niche in order to get the best results.
Which Website Builders Are Best for Affiliate Marketing?
In order to set up your affiliate marketing site, you’re going to need to secure a domain name and web host. You’re also going to need to build a website. This can be intimidating, especially if you don’t have much experience with it, but don’t worry. With the right tools, it’s actually quite simple.
Take a look at Digital.com’s guide for selecting the best website builder for picking the right option for your needs and experience level. Generally speaking, WordPress is a relatively straightforward and easy platform to use, with lots of themes and tools available that make putting together a website rather simple. If you’d like a little more help setting up the site or more tools for converting customers, consider options like Squarespace or Site123, which have built-in tools for SEO and ecommerce.
Do I Need Web Hosting?
When setting up your affiliate marketing website, you’ll have to decide if you want to pay for a hosting plan. While you might be able to get by at the start with a free site, you’re going to want to have a host so you can utilize all of the plug-ins and tools needed to optimize your site and maximize your traffic fully, and ultimately your revenue.
Consider a modest hosting plan that can host all of your content and can handle the amount of traffic that you will need to generate in order to make your business viable. Use Digital.com’s guide for picking the best web host to find the option that is right for you.
Which Web Hosts Are Best for Affiliate Marketing?
The best web hosts for affiliate marketing websites will include the ability to build sites with familiar tools like WordPress, offer sufficient bandwidth and disk space for your content, and will be available at an affordable price, so you don’t start too far in the red when setting up your site. BlueHost and Hostinger are among the best web hosts available for affiliate marketing.
How Much Will It Cost To Build an Affiliate Marketing Website?
Getting started with affiliate marketing shouldn’t break the bank, but it does include some upstart costs. You will need to pay for your domain name and hosting web service. You may also need to pay to use certain website-building tools and platforms that help optimize your site and its content. If you have the money, you can also farm out the content creation process to freelancers, which may save you time but will cost more. Advertising also costs money if you choose to go that route for exposure.
Depending on how much you are willing to spend and how much work you are willing to do on your own, you can set up an affiliate marketing website for under $100. Expect recurring annual costs to run you about that much, with additional costs for things like advertisements and content creation. Even a more expensive setup should cost you under $1,000 per year.
Can You Create an Affiliate Marketing Website for Free?
You can create an affiliate marketing website for free, but it is more difficult. You won’t be able to produce as high quality of content because of limitations on free sites and are unlikely to rank as high in search results, even with proper optimization. However, if you have a big social media following or can own your niche, it is possible to succeed without needing a web host or dedicated domain name.
Should I Take Courses To Create an Affiliate Marketing Program?
Depending on your level of experience with affiliate marketing, web hosting, and website building, it can be worth your time to take a course on creating an affiliate marketing program. There are plenty of free online resources to guide you through this process, but if you value expertise and mentorship, taking courses on affiliate marketing programs may benefit you.