Bottom line: AWeber is a powerful, business-focused marketing software specializing in email marketing. Its web-based tools help businesses grow by engaging their audiences through emails, landing pages, automation, and more — all from a single platform.
Who should choose AWeber? Entrepreneurs, online store owners, and small businesses. You can use AWeber to build landing pages, send amazing emails, push notifications, and analyze your marketing results, no matter your level of digital marketing experience.
What we like about AWeber
- Easy to use: AWeber is simple to use, especially for non-tech-savvy individuals, with an outstanding drag-and-drop builder and editing features for creating and designing beautiful emails.
- Quality email templates: You can access responsive, eye-catching free email templates from AWeber’s library for different occasions.
- Seamless experience: AWeber lets you share newsletters with your target audience perfectly.
- Lots of free tools: AWeber offers various free marketing tools to successfully start, make your first sale, and grow your business.
What fell flat
- Costlier than competing tools: AWeber is pricey compared to other alternatives with considerably more marketing automation features. Plus, you pay for active and inactive email addresses on your account.
- Low deliverability score: When tested against other email marketing tools, AWeber consistently sees a higher proportion of emails end up in spam or lost.
- Some key features are only available on paid plans: A/B testing is only available with higher-priced plans.
AWeber’s Editorial Review
AWeber offers good ease of use, powerful features, and overall focus on quality and helpful support. I found AWeber to be easy to master and found its email campaign and easy-to-use automation creation tools genuinely useful.
AWeber has dozens of features to help you create your email marketing campaigns, build a subscriber list, engage your audience, and track results. But, like any product, it has benefits and downsides.
“Although AWeber’s email marketing tool is a strong contender among its competitors, it may not be the best pick for you. Brevo has a much more reliable delivery rate than AWeber and Campaign Monitor offers SMS text marketing in addition to email marketing.”Amy Nichol Smith, Content Marketing Manager
Plans and Pricing
- AWeber Free
- Good for: Entrepreneurs, freelancers, and small businesses
- AWeber Lite ($14.99 per month)
- Good for: Small businesses, entrepreneurs, and e-commerce sites
- AWeber Plus ($29.99 per month)
- Good for: Small and midsized businesses
- AWeber Unlimited ($899 per month)
- Good for: Enterprises and midsized businesses
Each plan offers landing pages, web push notifications, a drag-and-drop builder, email templates, sign-up forms, and e-commerce.
Smart businesses engage their audiences with beautiful design and valuable content. AWeber offers a complete email marketing platform to craft powerful messages and eye-catching designs.
The free plan offers essential features you can use to begin, especially if you want to create an email list and don’t have the budget to commit to a paid plan. However, the free plan lets you send 3,000 emails and have up to 500 subscribers — which can be limiting for a growing business. Upgrading gives you even more advanced features like detailed insights and analytics.
Here are the top AWeber features:
Free, top-of-the-class drag-and-drop builder
AWeber’s plans come with a free drag-and-drop builder — an intuitive block editor. I could click and drag different blocks to add any element to my message. The builder comes in handy when you need to:
- Create professional-looking, image-rich emails with a few clicks. You don’t need prior coding or design experience.
- Choose the elements you want from the editor’s toolbar and drag them into your message to create customized emails.
- Use plain text emails or code your own using HTML options.
- Preview your email messages (for desktop or mobile) before sending them out to proofread, check for layout mistakes and correct them, and send test copies before scheduling your campaign.
- Get relevant yet appealing stock images, buttons, and logos for free to add to your content layout.
Free, fully-customizable email templates
AWeber’s email and landing pages allow you to stay connected with your customers to engage, convert, and sell more. Also, you can enhance their experience with your business.
You can use the platform’s customized email marketing templates to fit your brand and style, making it easier to create a seamless brand experience for your target audience. The HTML email templates are free, fully customizable, and responsive.
Choose your template, add custom copy, and send out your email messages.
AWeber’s email templates may not be as contemporary in appearance as those of HubSpot CRM, GetResponse, and Drip — my impression was some look slightly dated or like carbon copies. But with a little tweaking, you can find the ideal one for your email campaigns or newsletters. Or, you can use the smart designer tool to create and code your template.
There are 6,000+ free stock images for your content, multiple color schemes, layouts, designs, and more. Plus, you’re not limited to the number of templates you can use regardless of your chosen plan.
Social media and e-commerce integration
AWeber integrates with social media and e-commerce platforms, which help you expand your reach online and link directly to your online store.
Detailed insights and analytics
I couldn’t access reporting or analytics features on AWeber’s free plan. But you can upgrade to get advanced message/audience/account analytics, email sales, and webpage tracking.
These detailed insights and analytics let you see what people click on and how often so you can understand what your subscribers want instead of cluttering their inboxes.
Quality tech support
AWeber’s plans come with support via live chat, email, or phone. Paid subscribers get a dedicated support rep to help with setup and any questions. If you have a large account, you can schedule a date and time to access support via a 30-minute phone call.
Compare AWeber Alternatives
AWeber is one of the best email marketing services on the market. Backed by more than 20 years of proven success, it helps entrepreneurs and small businesses reliably connect with their audiences through powerfully simple email marketing tools. Yet, it’s not the ideal tool for all users.
So, what’s the difference between AWeber and its competitors? And how does it compare in key areas like features, pricing, and reporting?
Here’s a brief comparison of AWeber to help you determine which platform best fits your business.
Email Marketing Platform
Pricing + Basic Plan Features
- Up to 500 email subscribers
- Email templates
- Drag-and-drop builder
- Sign-up forms
- Landing pages
- Web push notifications
Consider AWeber if:
You’re a small business looking for a free email marketing tool with a drag-and-drop builder.
- 2,500 monthly email sends
- 500 contacts
- 1 user seat
- Email support for the first 30 days
- Pre-built email templates
- 300+ integrations
- Creative assistant
- Forms and landing pages
- Basic reporting and analytics
Consider Mailchimp if:
You want all the marketing and commerce tools you need to help you launch, build, and grow your business.
$9.99 per month
- Email templates
- Post to social media pages
- Signup forms
- Integrations with Shopify, Etsy, WooCommerce and other popular tools
- Phone and live chat support
Consider Constant Contact if:
You’re just starting your marketing campaigns or small business and have a tight marketing budget.
Frequently Asked Questions About AWeber
How many emails can you send with AWeber?
You can send 3,000 messages per month or 100 per day if you have an AWeber Free account.
Does AWeber have automations?
AWeber provides tools for creating automated email campaigns, but you can use the platform’s pre-written automated email campaigns to save time and market your business every day.
Does AWeber have landing pages?
Yes. AWeber Landing Pages is free for promoting your event or business. AWeber also integrates with other landing page software like Instapage Klickpages, Leadpages, Landingi, and PageWiz.
Can you make money with AWeber?
Yes. AWeber Advocates can earn up to 50% on referrals for as few as 10 customers a year. Once you sign up as an advocate, you can start earning right away at 30%, and the more customers you refer, the more you earn.
Is AWeber free to use?
AWeber offers a completely free plan for your email marketing and landing pages. If you’re an entrepreneur or freelancer kicking off a passion project or just starting your small business, the free plan helps you create great emails and landing pages, automate your email marketing, grow an email list, and connect the tools you use every day.
How I Rated AWeber
I test sales and marketing tools based on the following factors:
- Sale management: Does the platform offer sales tools to help with lead management and closing deals? What are its features?
- Ease of use: Is the platform simple to set up and use?
- Customization and automation: Can you tailor the software to your business needs?
- Integrations and analytics: Does this software integrate easily with other business tools, and will its reporting features fit your needs?
- The support provided: How easy is it to get help?
- Free trial: Is a no-cost trial or demo offered?
Learn more about our review methodology.